Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Judgment call...what should the 0.2.3 release trigger be?

Drop-dead July 14th.  We have properly addicting weeds, that's good enough.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should cross-link items within the documentation pages where reasonable.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should give us a withdrawal syndrome summary page.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should do both of the above.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 08:29:40 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Cataclysm:Z  (Read 32280 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm:Z
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2020, 06:10:18 pm »

No hard ETA for 0.2.1 yet.  Plan is to cut this release just before making the data representation change required for reliable cross-overmap mission completion.

The intent, is that the only reason we don't do a whole-Earth overmap set is CPU/hard drive space.  The data types won't be there for 0.2.1, but that's where it's headed. (There are multiple data representation changes blocking that, including the one mentioned as the release trigger).

Gonzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2020, 09:48:12 pm »

Sounds great, Zaimoni! Keep it up. I'm really glad that you decided to revive the original Cataclysm, I was sick of all the tedium updates & developer drama in DDA. Can't wait for 0.2.1  :D

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2020, 07:46:29 am »

I would probably miss the "our monsters fight each other" feature if I switched though
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2020, 07:48:01 am »

I've just started having a weird problem with the latest release. I get an error relating to NPCs that goes into an infinite loop and crashes the game, even if I set errors to off.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2020, 02:42:06 pm »

I would probably miss the "our monsters fight each other" feature if I switched though
Yes, you would.  There's a fairly substantial data redesign needed to land that (and unlike some other infrastructure changes merely reading most of the source code didn't point out any easy restructurings.)

It should be easier to see what to do after sinking a number of player-specific relations things from the god game object to the player object.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2020, 03:09:16 pm »

I've just started having a weird problem with the latest release. I get an error relating to NPCs that goes into an infinite loop and crashes the game, even if I set errors to off.
Archive of entire save folder, please.  If you already have an account at GitHub and there are no other contraindications, an issue on GitHub will be ideal.

This is likely due to the NPC AI being partially converted to the Rogue Survivor family's action object approach; there's one or two "reality checks" whose translation was unclear.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 05:51:06 am »

Archive of entire save folder, please.  If you already have an account at GitHub and there are no other contraindications, an issue on GitHub will be ideal.

This is likely due to the NPC AI being partially converted to the Rogue Survivor family's action object approach; there's one or two "reality checks" whose translation was unclear.
Emailed you the save. Either I get an error related to an NPC or "whacky scent" and then the game crashes.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2020, 08:03:27 pm »

The two errors are distinct.  Annoying...I didn't think to check for MSVC++ trashing vectors emptied by vector::erase.  (That's your NPC crash.)

It is going to take more than one day to land a proper fix for the vector::erase issue.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:28:33 pm by zaimoni »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2020, 09:29:57 pm »

The Jan 8 unstable build has the root causes of all that handled.  There are some secondary issues I want to look at before resuming the overmap changesets.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2020, 06:31:09 am »

So what is the greatest difference between this fork and Dark Days Ahead? I used to be a rabid fan of DDA, but then it got too micro management and anti-fun so I lost interest.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2020, 06:47:40 am »

This is based off the original cataclysm.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2020, 05:29:03 pm »

So what is the greatest difference between this fork and Dark Days Ahead?
That it is approaching eight years behind ;)

Right now it should play like an accidentally bug-fixed C:Whales.  I've spliced in a number of infrastructure changes relating to NPC AI and long-range pathfinding.

At this point, I likely will cut the 0.2.1 release just before trying to upgrade mission targets on the overmap to global positioning standards (that is, the target currently does not remain correct if you are in a different overmap than where the mission was acquired).

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2020, 08:08:03 pm »

Starting to push release candidates out for 0.2.1 .  At this point I don't anticipate any changes not relating to map generation bugs or micro-optimization going in.  Intentional user-visible changes in the Resolved column of https://github.com/zaimoni/Cataclysm/projects/3 are labeled "post-commit review" (once 0.2.1 is released that column's entries will be swept into their own project)

At this time, two data type changes required to fix cross-overmap behavior (missions and NPC pathing) are blocked by this release.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2020, 11:09:39 pm »

In terms of stability and some logistic feature, wouldn't it be better to fork it from CDDA? Assuming there's no major backend issue involved here, it sounds easier to change what you want from the further developed CDDA than trying to many times "reinvent the wheel" addressing issues and bugs CDDA already did.

Still, either way, if it goes forward it will be very nice to have as a counterpart from the "hyper-realism all the time" direction CDDA has been going.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2020, 11:32:45 pm »

Ignoring the whole question of B-movie survival simulator vs. survival manual survival simulator (I don't see a "market" for a second survival manual survival simulator):

It is not possible to do a tracking fork of C:DDA.  (This is what did in C:BrightNights).  The conscious experience budget required to explicitly verify all commits is excessive (as a full-time job I could do maybe 10% of the daily commit rate).

Cherrypicking technical design decisions is eminently practical, and I expect that to go both ways.  (I recognized some of the map breakage back pre-0.0.D as comparable to what I predicted my pre-0.2.0 changes to force correct save/load cycling would do to an existing save.)  That said, new/reimplemented features are going to be arriving at a glacial rate even after the overmap and map representation issues no longer block a whole-Earth overmap system.  [I don't see that actually happening, but the failure should be lack of CPU and hard drive space, not "can't even represent it"].

I don't expect to take radical risks with gameplay changes before the Socrates' Daimon assistant program isn't vaporware.  I'll re-label the 0.2.0 download as Przybylski's Star after the 0.2.1 release, due to the coverage issue letting the modern MSVC++ handling of printf specifiers reach there.

One of my priorities is that any "stable" release (and indeed, almost all unstable checkpoints) should be valid to fork from.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:39:07 pm by zaimoni »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9