Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PantheonQuest, Birth of a God [SG]  (Read 3037 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: PantheonQuest, Birth of a God [SG]
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 06:23:06 pm »

Are any of these options really things Vimes would do?

B
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 06:24:09 pm »

We pick what Vimes does

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 06:26:37 pm »

B is what Vimes would do. A is what Vimes would internally really like to do, but won't, because that would be wrong.

C and/or D is what Vetinari would do, and pretty much did.

(So we're clear, my vote is B.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, 06:41:35 pm »

WWSVD

B

Avanti!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 12:43:23 am »

B
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:54 pm »

B Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.

[Also heyo Seizure Toad! Hope you've been doing well.]
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 06:41:07 pm »

"I'll gear, train, and expand the guard. I am here to guide the righteous, not to snap away every problem."

"Thank you, my lord. I'll take you to the Grandmaster of the Guard. Jakos, inform the Patricians of this... change of events.", the more talkative of the two men says, introducing himself as Officer Hekon of the City Guard. He leads the way, telling you about the history and current affairs of Ghar Kharat. The city was founded little under a decade ago, by the League of Grand Patricians, a loose alliance of mercantile cities. It is quite far removed from what would be considered the civilized part of the world. It serves as a port for much desired exotic foods and crafts produced by the mysterious Varanids who inhabit the warm conifer forests and rocky coasts around the city. The city has been quite a success thus far, and keeps expanding at an ever increasing rate. As you come down from the quite isolated Dunmanifestin district, the newness of the city is very visible. Some young vineyards and olive orchards are seen beyond the half-finished city walls. Building projects seem to be everywhere on the outskirts of the town, with the foundations of new chalk white homes and buildings rising from the reddish rock of the earth. Slaves and builders are toiling away in the heat of the late summer, seemingly unphased by the burning sun.

As soon as you enter the true city of Ghar Kharat, you notice a trickle of people following you. You're hard to miss, standing easily twice as tall as a human. Especially the city guards seem to be impressed by your presence, standing up unnaturally straight, cleaning their dusty weaponry and armor, and saluting you very formally as you pass by. It's a good sign they at least carry some sort of discipline in them. Most citizens seem to be human, but you notice the occasional Varanid among the crowd. These Varanids are quite conspicious, standing a head taller than the average human and wearing extravagantly lavish clothing. Their most notable feat, however, is their reptilian face and dark green scales. They seem to be less impressed than the humans, but still respectfully keep their distance to you. You also notice some individuals of other races, but they seem to be a rarity in the predominantly human city.

As you near the city center, the buildings become more and more lavish. Marble pillars, brass fences and bright red tiles seem to be the staple of Ghar Kharatian architecture. The streets are quite broad, and many little plazas have a fountain as their centerpiece. Vendors with market stalls litter the surprisingly clean streets, selling an incredibly diverse assortment of wares. Eventually, you reach the harbor, located in a decently sized bay. It's filled with an astounding diversity of ships, and other races seem to be more prevalent here. As you look back, you see that the procession following you has grown in the hundreds. As you look out to the azure sea, you notice two castles. A lavish, marble citadel to your left, and a somewhat more humble, but definitely more defensible sandstone keep to the right. "The one on the right is the Guardskeep, and the one of left is the Seat of the Patricians. I'll take you to the Guardskeep, but I'm sure you'll be requested at the Seat of the Patricians in no time.", Hekon says.

Once you arrive at the Guardskeep, you are received with an incredible amount of respect and discipline. It is clear that these men worship you zealously. You are received by Grandmaster Elio Kasamoros. "My guard is your guard, mighty Commander Vimes. How can we be of service?". "I'm here to strengthen your men, and ensure the safety of this city. Blessed be the Law.", you reply. "Blessed be the Law.", the Grandmaster confirms. "But how do you intend to do so?"

A: "Strength is in numbers. I will ensure the ranks of the Guard grow immensely."
B: "Strength is in the physical realm. I will train these men to become strong, and grant them the best weapons I can get them."
C: "Strength is in the mental realm. I will sharpen the minds of your men like their whetstones sharpens their halberds."
D: "Strength is in the realm of the Gods. I will bestow your men with magic and gifts only a God can get them."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 07:07:27 pm »

C. B and A follow from there. Magic - if we do stuff with it at all - can come later.

But yeah, smart guardsmen will train intelligently, and be well able to attract and train new recruits.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 07:24:24 pm »

C

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:43 pm »

C

"They'll make better coppers when they learn how to use their heads."
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 12:57:17 am »

C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 05:26:36 pm »

Strength is in the mental realm. I will sharpen the minds of your men like their whetstones sharpens their halberds."

Their minds were what had to be changed. They were not right for the job. Their hearts were certainly in the right spot, but their upbringing in cities of trade had made their minds dull. Trusting, inattentive, merciful. They had the minds of prey, while maintaining the law required that of a predator. You went through your options, considering what traits you could improve. It would either have to come down to year-long training programs or a bit of magic. But you were no bureaucrat handing out tests and signing graduation papers. You were a God. And this would be a fine way to test your godly powers.

As the air around you crackled and condensed with magic, you had one decision to make. What predator would be the template for the new minds of these guardsmen?

A: The Owl
B: The Shark
C: The Wolf
D: The Serpent
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:36:54 am by Lord_lemonpie »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 05:36:38 pm »

Owl.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 05:40:28 pm »

Owl.
+1, but I’d also like to make sure that the collaborative essence of the wolf’s pack is included. After all, these policing forces must work as teams; while the owl is most appropriate to the watching guard, they are solitary creatures, and that aspect must be changed to fit our needs.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 05:55:46 pm »

D
Pages: 1 [2] 3