Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: The History of a Tribe: Year 3 Summer (Turn 38): Glory, Controversy, Death  (Read 31332 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 2 Spring (Turn 16)
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2019, 11:24:05 am »

We should probably tell the shamans about the chaos spirits, and demonstrate what the thunder rocks do to water to prove what we're talking about.
Definitely we have to talk through these discoveries with the shamans. We should try to come to a new agreement on the fundamental teachings of our tribe, lest we be torn apart by division and misunderstanding.
+1 to telling the shamans about the chaos spirits, opposites of neutrality

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2019, 11:27:33 am »

+1 to all that, yes... but don't just tell. Show. Bring the shamans to the stream, and demonstrate to them the violence of a thunder-rock submerged in water.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2019, 11:33:33 am »

+1 to all that, yes... but don't just tell. Show. Bring the shamans to the stream, and demonstrate to them the violence of a thunder-rock submerged in water.
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2019, 01:44:27 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 2 Summer (Turn 17)
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2019, 05:16:25 am »

We should probably tell the shamans about the chaos spirits, and demonstrate what the thunder rocks do to water to prove what we're talking about.
Definitely we have to talk through these discoveries with the shamans. We should try to come to a new agreement on the fundamental teachings of our tribe, lest we be torn apart by division and misunderstanding.
(4)There are quite a few factors working to make the discovery easier for your shamans to accept. For a start, many of them are relatively young and open to new ideas, having not yet grown old enough to gain the stubbornness that comes to a person who's beliefs have gone unchallenged for decades. You have also proven willing to listen to them on multiple occasions and have often accepted their guidance in seeing how the unexplainable can be explained in the context of the spiritual. Just in general you have been a very spiritual person, always willing to look to the shaman teachings for guidance in times of need and respecting the spirits all around you daily. You also have a history of understanding how spirits work and have proven quite good at explaining them to your people, meaning even the shamans are often interested to hear how you interpret the spirits of certain things.

Even so, the shaman teachings have been an important part of your people's culture for longer than anyone alive can remember, a core part of your people that has guided them through some very difficult times. Not only that, the shaman teachings have been questioned multiple times already in the history of your tribe, and each time they have prevailed over the cynical. You argue with the shamans over this new discovery until the sky begins to darken, only partially convincing them of the truth you tell after directly showing them how the thunder-stones interact with everything violently. By deep-night you have managed to convince a few of them of the presence of chaos spirits and by morning all but one agree with you.

Heat wars against cold, water against fire, prey against predator, while air and prosperity simply watch, ready to pick up the pieces and start over again as so many innumerable lesser spirits fight and watch alongside them. This is how the world has been, how it is, and how it will always be - opposing spirits fighting while neutral spirits watch on. Yet, during all of this, there must surely be some element of a fight between opposing sides, some minor thought of a neutral spirit, some minor movement that doesn't line up with the spirit they are supposed to be, for the shaman teachings also say that no being can claim to be perfect except the Creator of the first spirits to travel this world.

From such minor things comes chaos, the absence of alignment. For untold years there must of been no true spirit of chaos, for such tiny things surely create only a small, insignificant amount of chaos. Yet, as time continued, more and more chaos began to slowly pile up, leading to the creation of spirits of chaos to act as guardians for what little chaos there is. Surrounded by opposing spirits on all sides, these chaos spirits buried themselves in the realm of the dirt and rock spirits, who's neutrality can not be questioned by any man who has looked at how much those things move. That is to say, they don't move at all and rarely grow angry even at the presence of dangerous spirits, making them the perfect resting place for spirits of chaos. Over so many hundreds of years these spirits began to turn to each other for guidance, gathering together to form rocks of chaos, thunder-stones, which learned to react violently to all that tried to touch them. Yet these ancient chaos spirits grew paranoid over time, not accepting new chaos spirits and reacting violently to even their own brethren in acts representing the worst of chaos. These newer spirits decided that they should not hide from the world like cowards, eternally trapped in a confined space in fear of all else outside that space.

Thus were the first humans born.

Unsurprisingly, quite a few of your own people found this difficult to process, but every single action they took could be used as proof against them and, after a difficult few moon-turns, you're confident you've managed to successfully stop a major schism from erupting between your people. All is not well, however, as the one disagreeing shaman has managed to convince some of the tribespeople against you, but they still have to work if they want good things so it's not much of an issue. Ironically, that shaman's chosen title is 'Truth-Shaman'. You wonder if that's why some people want to trust him regardless of the evidence. What fools.

Anyway, What are you going to do now? There are no issues of immediate importance, but there is some tension between 'Truth-Shamans' followers and the rest of the tribe. He currently has 7 followers .
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2019, 06:21:21 am »

Maybe we should do a demonstration to show the nonbelievers the truth.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2019, 07:04:48 am »

Maybe we should do a demonstration to show the nonbelievers the truth.
You already have, repeatedly, those are the ones who simply refuse to believe it regardless of all the evidence.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2019, 12:45:59 pm »

Take a rolled sleeping mat and a bit of food. Let's hike around to the other side of the mountain and see what's over there.

This religious schism is gonna become a whole thing isn't it? :/

What is the truth shamans explanation for the thunder rocks behavior if he rejects ours?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2019, 12:58:57 pm »

Take a rolled sleeping mat and a bit of food. Let's hike around to the other side of the mountain and see what's over there.

What is the truth shamans explanation for the thunder rocks behavior if he rejects ours?
+1 to seeing what’s on the other side of the mountain, +1 to asking the Truth Shaman for his explanation of what we showed

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2019, 05:10:04 pm »

How about we don't leave our people when we have someone actively trying to start a rebellion?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2019, 05:32:47 pm »

How about we don't leave our people when we have someone actively trying to start a rebellion?
Fair point, -1 to exploring the other side of the mountain

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2019, 02:11:25 am »

+1 to asking the Truth Shaman for his explanation of what we showed
+1

-1 to leaving while this religious stuff is going on.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 2 Summer (Turn 18): Of Shamans and Liars
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2019, 05:37:09 am »

(6VS1)"The thunder-rocks can be considered an exception to the normal rules of the world, yes, but it is entirely unreasonable to apply this discovery to all others as well! Perhaps a chaos spirit does lie within this rock, and the story you tell of slight changes causing the creation of new spirits which coalesced into these rocks is reasonable and true, but surely these spirits should simply be another neutral spirit? Many neutral spirits oppose each other quite often, yet they still spend far more time simply watching. These thunder-rock 'chaos' spirits have spent countless thousands of years simply sitting here, slowly gathering while they watch the world around them - indeed, they only became so volatile when YOU unearthed them! How can you claim these rocks oppose neutrality when they have embraced it, slowly gathering together while watching the world pass by?"

"They react violen-"

"They react similarly to how air reacts! Air spirits spend so long doing nothing, only to occasionally cause severe damage when they reach incredible speed. Should air therefore also be considered a chaos spirit because of the damage it causes, despite how long it remains inactive? For that matter, surely rock spirits are also chaos spirits, for they also wait countless years before causing damage, the same with water and fire - by your logic ALL spirits are chaos spirits!

"No beca-"

"Because the shaman teachings say otherwise? The shaman teachings that YOU have so brazenly thrown away in favour of your own personal beliefs, so incapable are you of letting go of what you believe to be true, even when your logic is so extremely flawed? Please, explain to me how the shaman teachings support YOU, and not me."

"The shaman teachings state that water and fire are opposites, and much of their efforts are directed toward each other, but the thunder-rocks attack everything regardless of spiritual alignmen-"

The shaman laughs. "Then what of air? Air does not care what it damages when angry, so should we call air spirits chaos spirits as well?"

"Well... yes. We simply called them neutral spirits before because we didn't understand the nature of chaos."

"Ha! Look at you, so foolishly listening to only the pieces of the shaman teachings that support your argument, only to disregard them entirely when a new argument is brought up against you. If the shaman teachings are incorrect because of our previous 'misunderstandings', surely the entirety of it can not be trusted, and would need to be completely reassessed!"

You have failed miserably at convincing people of your viewpoint. The 'Truth-Shaman' thinks he has more knowledge of the spiritual than you, and deceives people into believing his words through lies and trickery. He does not argue with you on the nature of the shaman teachings - he argues against your partial belief in them. The shaman teachings must be reassessed in light of this new discovery, yet the lying arse simply mocks you and your belief that parts of the shaman teachings are incorrect, while others are fine. He taps into your people's unwillingness to accept new beliefs and mocks you with an air of confidence - and of course people believe him, because surely a shaman knows more about the spiritual than a mere chief?

You're sick of it. No matter what you're doing he's there, asking for answers, and you're unable to do anything about it without being mocked further. Over and over he mocks you, over and over people listen to him, more and more ignorant people becoming his followers. Then, one day, you've had enough. As he explains the neutrality of spirits, he finally stops to let you speak. You are tired of his constant harassment and are on the verge of giving up... but you decide that enough is enough.

As he finishes his explanation, you pick up a thunder-rock and ask him a very simple question. "According to you, neutral spirits naturally steer away from violence unless threatened, yes?"

"Well of course, that's what I just said! Have you lost your hearing as well as your sense?"

You node sagely before asking him another question. "Then why did I do this?" Before he can react, you throw the thunder-rock at his head. All around you people simply stare at the bloody mess left behind in horror, and you announce that you will no longer tolerate ignorant fools and ask any man who truly believed the lying shaman to leave your tribe. 20 people leave, travelling in the direction of the sun for half a moon before they leave your sight.

The very next moon, you gather all of your shamans together and announce that YOU will be the new shaman to replace the liar, so that no one can question your knowledge of the spiritual. The shamans gladly agree to teach you during the winter.

What are you going to do now? The liars and fools have been dealt with, so there are no issues of immediate importance. You are now a shaman, having killed the shaman who questioned you and taken his place.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:02:10 am by TankKit »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2019, 07:27:04 am »

Damn, I guess we know not to fuck with this guy.

Lets just learn from the shamans for now.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2019, 12:17:09 pm »

Damn, I guess we know not to fuck with this guy.

Lets just learn from the shamans for now.
+1

I did not expect to kill anyone this season
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22