Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Royal Ambitions - OOC Two Spots open  (Read 4047 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Ambitions - OOC Sign-Ups Closed
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 02:37:16 pm »

Sounds good to me!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 04:23:04 pm »

So... I guess, 'what actions are we allowed to take?' is the question.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 04:43:58 pm »

apologies, you will be getting your sheets tomorrow, this week has been awfully busy with work...once you have them you can go ahead and do your actions.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 12:29:16 pm »

Okay the Sheets are up, i expect you to be gentlemanly enough not to peek into other peoples sheets...too much.

There also have been some major rule changes:

Unrest

Unrest has been changed in several ways:

First of All you have differing Groups of Interest and a General Unrest Level. These minor groups will only gain unrest when the provinces they inhabit sink below the national average of prosperity. Once their Unrest reaches 100 a full blown revolt will break out which will grow eventually if not put down in time. You can negotiate with them at any given time. What they demand depends on the situation.

The General Unrest level represents your entire nation as such. It rises with low prosperity across the nation, ongoing revolts and civil wars and once it reaches one-hundred you will face random rebels from peasantry to nobles who want all kinds of things. If your nation reached that point, congrats you are in the thirty years war and order will be hard to restore.

Provinces, Cities and why they are not in your sheet
Simply put there are too many of them for you and me to care about. Nannan has after some considerable province redrawing still some 56 provinces and some 140 Burgs...nobody wants to keep track of that so the provinces will only be listed once they become relevant or interesting to you personally.

Furthermore the population movement mechanic is removed for now...the game is simply to big to keep track of that :(

Armies

Armies (as in their locations and compositions) will not be in the sheet and only kept in a seperate notepad document, so nobody gets tempted to peek for enemy armies...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:31:37 pm by Ghazkull »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 12:51:33 pm »

Have the provinces been drawn out? If so, is there a version of the map with them on (or even just the burgs). The political map only seems to have the capitals.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 02:50:01 pm »

Towns are actually on the political map, you just need to zoom in close enough ;)

Province Map

That won't be updated though since Provinces are a bitch to manage in that map generator.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 03:44:55 pm »

Ah I've been stuck on phone this week, and wasn't able to zoom in on the files. Have now since managed to download a viewer which zooms all the way in.

Should all actions be posted publically or privately?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 04:35:33 pm »

Publicly except for military orders.

That being said i realized that i forgot half of the rule updates -.-"

Culture and Religion

As you probably have already seen, culture and religion is so far only a nuisance, the damn roimlanders or Hesklanders seem to only be there to rebel right?
Well thats true, but Culture and Religious Diversity brings interesting options.

All Cultures and Faiths bring unique troops to the field, be it as levies or professionals, giving you a more diverse set of military options.

On the other Hand you might want to reduce future unrest by reducing your diversity:
You can spend money each turn to start conversion of your people, be it culturally or religiously.
It is a slow process, which can cause extra unrest, but once complete you can reduce the group of people who will more easily rebel, giving you a more stable country.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2019, 08:35:29 am »

I'm intrigued by the scenario, where things only get worse for everyone as the game goes on. Players want wars to be very brief, to limit damage, but if cornered, have the tools to wreck havoc.

In some ways starting everyone at maximum prosperity does limit a boring initial build-up, since the only peaceful thing to do at the start is to be boring and save for mercenaries. But I feel like it's a little bit of a waste of the asymmetric start, and leaves whoever strikes first exposed to their neighbors. I feel like it could have been a more interesting scenario if some players wanted to try to buy time to fix infrastructure or quell unrest, while others were ready to strike at the outset, perhaps with a few turns' of possible fixing things up to add uncertainty to when they'd strike.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 10:37:04 am »

Ah and here is the interesting part Nirur: you can muster levies in secret, which scouting rolls (don't worry those are automatic and it is assumed you are guarding your borders) may or may not reveal. So the first attacker is not necessarily exposed. Similiarly those in the corners of the map, and those who start in weaker positions all do not need to fear enemy attacks or being exposed( as much), since Naval Landings take a considerably longer time to prepare and set off and are far far more noticeable.

Speaking of things:

You can have several professional troops raised. So having Varangians and Immortals and four or five other different "types" of troops is entirely possible.
You can take as many actions as you like, be they secret or not, i will however take the right to simply say no when you overdo it, this might be subject to change if you folks abuse it.
Levies as mentioned can be mustered in secret and the first strike also CAN be secret. Beyond that however your path of ruination pretty much tells players at least to some degree where you are. Scout rolls will be made upon you mustering levies, to figure out if other players notice.

by the by notquitethere is that ic post an action or fluff?
I would request that you folks bold your actions for ease of parsing the posts later on for actions.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 11:30:34 am »

Can bold in future. Having a festival for the purpose of drawing champions from across the country is an action, yes.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 10:12:25 am »

I'm still missing orders from a lot of people, guys please submit your stuff, or ask questions if you are unsure what to do, otherwise i will assume you lost interest and replace you.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 09:05:09 am »

I'll hereby open up the Nannan Empire and Solaria for interested players to take over.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 09:08:10 am »

I am unsure what to do.
Can I just try and give money to the peasants telling them to improve the economy? Or do I need a detailed plan?
If I want to raise troops, I should PM you? Or is only troop movement secret?
Is trade a thing? What about tariffs? Or can I assume that just happens automatically?
[Generic "I understand there's no research, but can I just command my minions to do X renaissance thing?" question]
Are regions different in terms of fertility/mineral riches? Or is there a just a formula based off of prosperity and population?
Are all religions the same? Maybe some of them demand lower tithe (=moar taxes without starving the population) or reward martial prowess (=better troops) or particularly emphasizes obedience to authority (= lower unrest)
Speaking of cool troops, should we already know what culture/religion troops excel in what terrain/type of battle or do we learn this as we raise them?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Ambitions - OOC Two Spots open
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 09:43:24 am »

You don't need a detailed plan for your Economy. Currently there is no reason to invest money since everyone begins at 100 prosperity in every single province.

To increase prosperity you need to invest money, simple as that, no complicated plans ala: Start prospecting for mineral resources, close the banks to prevent collapse of the currency or somesuch. You just invest money to increase prosperity.
How much depends on the population of the province and the amount of prosperity. say you are at 90 Prosperity in a province with 100.000 people. To increase that provinces prosperity back to 100 you need to invest 1 ducat per thousand people in the province. So for 10 prosperity 1000 ducats.
Of course that does not prevent you from making fluff actions, that you rebuilt villages, improved infrastructure and done what not, just that its not necessary.

You do not need to disguise any of your actions in pms, that is utterly optional. Raising Troops and moving them both triggers automatic scouting rolls for neighbouring or subjected players, making those movements/raising visible to them.

Trade and tarrifs are not a thing, you can assume they happen automatically already via the prosperity mechanic. (see stuff about fluff when improving your province from above ^^)
No you cannot do renaissance, period. No cannons, No Guns.
Actually let me rephrase that, you can go for it but you won't get beyond those really ancient arquebuses and ship cannons, which were not really an improvement on longbows, crossbows and trebutchets/scorpions. So yeah no tech advantage for anyone :P
That is to say nothing prevents you from raising some 200.000 Portuzi Arquebusiers and simply going for it. It simply means you won't have a great tech advantage through the use of early gunpowder weapons.

Regions only differ in terrain,prosperity, population, culture and religion...beyond that there is no difference. So if the region isnt interesting due to prosperity or population reasons it might be interesting due to its strategic terrain or because it shares a certain culture or religion with you.

Religions have no intrinsic differences beyond providing unique units for you. So raising a levy in Religion As and Culture Bs territory will give you some different levy units than Religion C and Culture Ds territory.

While certain cultures will certainly excel in fighting in certain terrains (Shwazen in Bogs, Roimlanders in Mountains/Hills and Astellians on Plains) it is not unique to them. So yes you can raise Portuzi Heavy Cavalry who excels at Plains Fighting even more so than Astellian units ever would...its just far more expensive.
So yeah if you raise levies you will also get some info on who does what...and is good or bad at which things.
On the other hand if you raise professionals, you will in all probability tell me what you want so yeah...unless you just want me to provide you with a list of potential things to raise/train/do.

going by this post i assume you are still interested so i'll re-reserve your spot...just got tired of waiting for folks. :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4