Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do I get sieges?  (Read 1093 times)

UristMcPea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why do I get sieges?
« on: October 15, 2019, 05:49:55 am »

My current population is 49 (hard cap at 50) and despite that I'm getting goblin sieges about once a year. I know I have generated quite a bit of wealth, did quite some trading, breached the caverns and have a duke though all of this shouldn't matter.

What's going on and is there a way to disable the sieges at least for some time?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I get sieges?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 05:58:26 am »

I've last tried this years ago, so it might not work any more, but you used to be able to temporarily disable contact from an entity by removing their ACTIVE_SEASON tags from the entity default file. I'd wait until the current siege is broken and then try it. And I wouldn't necessarily consider it a failure if you get one more siege afterwards, as the gobs may have already been en route so disabling their active seasons wouldn't apply to them. So try that and wait at least another season to see if it works.

Also check if your PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION wasn't changed from default. I think the default value is 2, which stands for a pop of 50, so your assumption that you shouldn't be dealing with them yet is reasonable.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:44:43 am »

Have you raided the gobbos?
That disables your safety triggers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:20:02 am »

I believe the default siege pop triggers are 3 = 80. However, as Shonai_Dweller pointed out, if you attack someone you can't run back behind mommy's back and make rude gestures while being protected from retaliation...

Once the pop trigger has triggered I believe it will remain triggered, so if they (or something else) decimates your fortress population to single digits they may still show up to attempt to finish off the job.

Hacking gobbos to remove their active season (all seasons for gobbos) in the save (not the original file) ought to disable further sieges, but I haven't heard of it being tested.

UristMcPea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 07:37:18 am »

There have been goblin sieges before and I made some prisoners, so I suppose the population trigger is irrelevant by now.

However, neither did I raid any sites (at all) nor did my population ever exceed 50, so there shouldn't have been any sieges in the first place. (Of course I haven't changed the triggers, either...)

I guess I will have to try hacking the gobbos, then... :-(

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 07:43:04 am »

There have been goblin sieges before and I made some prisoners, so I suppose the population trigger is irrelevant by now.

However, neither did I raid any sites (at all) nor did my population ever exceed 50, so there shouldn't have been any sieges in the first place. (Of course I haven't changed the triggers, either...)

I guess I will have to try hacking the gobbos, then... :-(
How many artifacts does your fortress have?
There are some unknown variables from the artifacts arc when it comes to bad guys staking claims on your artifacts and when they're allowed to come claim them.

The other consideration is, have you raided anyone else (elf, human or other dwarf Civs)? If goblins live there (and if a lot of territory has been taken over by humans/elves that can mean a heck of a lot of goblins), they may arrive as part of (or make up an entire) invading army.

Finally of course, check that your invading goblins aren't dead. The dead don't care about population triggers.

Post-edit finally, Toady mentioned something a while back about Active Season not being a lock for sieges any more. So that hack may not work any more.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:46:09 am by Shonai_Dweller »

UristMcPea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:53:57 am »

How many artifacts does your fortress have?
There are some unknown variables from the artifacts arc when it comes to bad guys staking claims on your artifacts and when they're allowed to come claim them.
There are a few... Maybe around five at the arrival of the first siege.

The other consideration is, have you raided anyone else (elf, human or other dwarf Civs)? If goblins live there (and if a lot of territory has been taken over by humans/elves that can mean a heck of a lot of goblins), they may arrive as part of (or make up an entire) invading army.
Definitely not!

Finally of course, check that your invading goblins aren't dead. The dead don't care about population triggers.
They appear as "Goblin crossbowman" and the like, but I'll check next time...

Post-edit finally, Toady mentioned something a while back about Active Season not being a lock for sieges any more. So that hack may not work any more.
That would be bad, but ok...

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 09:01:03 am »

There is also the option to turn off invaders by editing the "d_init.txt" (found in DF/data/init). It's probably a more reliable way than removing the active season tokens too.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 10:42:41 am »

There is also the option to turn off invaders by editing the "d_init.txt" (found in DF/data/init). It's probably a more reliable way than removing the active season tokens too.

Granted, but it would be a solution for when you still want to deal with invaders other than goblins.

EDIT: ... and I just read that that probably doesn't work any more.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:44:16 am by assimilateur »