Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove construction from far end to near end  (Read 1280 times)

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remove construction from far end to near end
« on: October 12, 2019, 01:53:41 pm »

I wanted to mine out two z levels. Being noob, I mined out the lower one first. So to clear out the upper level, I built a stair and a floor that extended several tiles for access. I then mined out the upper level.

I now want to remove the floor. Seems dwarves are silly, so if I designate the whole thing to be deconstructed, they start at a random spot and trap themselves or fall and hurt themselves.

To solve this I manually designate one tile at a time, from the far end to the near end.
Is there a better way? That kind of micro is a little annoying.

...+   start removing here
...+
...+   
...^   end removing here

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Remove construction from far end to near end
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 10:51:57 pm »

An engineered cave-in might speed it up a bit, but dearves do like to remove constructions against OSHA regulations almost every time

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 03:17:09 am »

The only safe way is to manually designate one tile at a time (but, as indicated in the OP, the better way is to plan ahead so you don't have to do it like that).
If you have a single miner you can use designation priorities to usually* work correctly, but with more than one the work orders are issued in priority order, but that has very little relation to the order in which the miners arrive at the designated tiles, so you mine them out in the wrong order quite often.

Also note that a single miner is often more efficient than multiple miners in this situation, because with a single miner the designated tile is removed, the dorf rushes off, you mark the next tile, and the dorf returns (assuming the rushing off was to idle activities rather than another task. With multiple miners the next designated tile tends to get claimed by a miner far away while the first miner is still in the "rush away and don't take any new jobs" mode, which leads to long waits for miners to walk to the work scene.

*There are weird bugs when a single miner can select and mine out the lower priority tile beside themselves rather than the higher priority one they're standing on (and they should have moved away from before removing the tile). This can lead to them either plummeting down as soon as the supporting tile has been removed, or just after that as they dig away the tile they're standing on after having ensured they can no longer move to the safety of the adjacent tile.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:53:29 pm »

Consider building a retracting bridge adjacent to the floor that needs to be removed. It might make the removal easier (you can designate "the next tile to be removed" while a dwarf is still working on the "current tile to be removed", but you still need to beware of cave-in conditions and "fast dwarf is removing floor from under slow dwarf" situations).

Then, the next time you need a "long floor to allow dwarfs to access something", build a retracting gate instead of a floor.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:03:57 pm »

I now want to remove the floor. Seems dwarves are silly, so if I designate the whole thing to be deconstructed, they start at a random spot and trap themselves or fall and hurt themselves.

To solve this I manually designate one tile at a time, from the far end to the near end.
Is there a better way? That kind of micro is a little annoying.

You could construct a row of walls underneath the floor tiles, then mass-remove the floor tiles, then mass-remove the walls.