Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Game Finished! Mutual Flagellatio Victorious!  (Read 41230 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Just Expanding
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2019, 12:45:45 am »

Ooooo a PBEM forum game! May I ask to join the next one if ever? :D Thanks ahead!
I didn't know people were even doing things like these.

You're free to join the next one we host Tiruin! To be frank, we usually had at least 1 of these going at all times during the days of Dominions 4. I suppose we all just collectively burned out shortly after Dominions 5 hit.

How experienced are you at Dominions? We could have the next round be a Disciples match (team game) if you're new. My near encyclopedic knowledge of the game may be a fair bit rusty (not to mention all the new nations and new combat system of Dom 5 rendering some of such information obsolete), but I can help you out some; even before the next game happens. You know, give some pointers and what not.
I'm totally new! (Ok maybe not >_> I've played a few games and are able to win against difficult AI) but all my experience thus far has been FFA matches with other people...and I've a sore spot for team-based play! And despite all that knowledge, it still forwards that I know so little because of enabling me to see so much. :))
Thanks for that!
I assure you, you're probably better then I am. ^_^;

This game is once more reminding me on how bad I actually am at this. And why I keep trying to play anyway, granted, as well...
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Just Expanding
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2019, 08:47:58 am »

This game is once more reminding me on how bad I actually am at this. And why I keep trying to play anyway, granted, as well...
A scout conquered your 0 PD province? Bad events trashed your plans? Disastrous warring? Damn secretiveness. 

"Huge Tien Chi armies appear out of nowhere and move in vague directions"
Рапортуйте мне откуда и куда идёт Беда...
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Hue'll be Missed
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2019, 09:14:24 am »

This was a bad moment to let Phaeacia stall, methinks.

Also, obvious invasions are obvious.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2019, 09:19:17 am »

Also, obvious invasions are obvious.

Yeah. Gmail isn't letting me download my turns. It was painful having to watch the clock run down, unable to even ask you guys for an extension or even to help on what to do (because Bay12 was down too).

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2019, 09:26:38 am »

Trust me Happery, however bad you think you're doing, it's nothing compared to how badly I'm doing. Not unless you're also being invaded by three different nations simultaneously and about to lose your capitol.

I thought I might have a chance to break the siege with a mage communion, but either I set it up badly or it just wasn't enough. Shouldn't have bothered.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2019, 09:44:45 am »

I never tried figuring out how to play Nazca. I think it >needs< to rely on hordes of reanimated undead, what with their regular roster being militia-grade and practically not worth the money. I was surprised to see no walking dead in your armies (until this turn, but too late, too little).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:20 am »

The problem is that Nazcan priests can't reanimate unless they're mummified, and they can't be mummified until they die. So you're stuck with three choices: keep your priests alive and use the recruitable troops, or pay nearly twice as much for a pre-mummified priest (eg, 175 gold for a mummified priestess as opposed to 100 gold for a living priestess with identical paths and research), or get your priests killed so they reappear in the capitol (potentially far from where they were needed) and then reanimate.

I never had the budget for the second option and didn't get large numbers of priests killed until this little tussle started, so it's far too little far too late.

ETA: There's also the problem that reanimated birdmen can't fly any more, so by relying on undead hordes you lose a lot of the mobility that flying troops provide.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:13:37 am by Sirus »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2019, 11:05:37 am »

Hmm, I think I'd start the game by hiring the cheapest undead priest, then prophetise them and keep on permanent reanimation duty. Then maybe shell out on couple more high-level ones before investing in research rats. I don't know. I'd have to do some testing.
Is hiring living priests and immediately sending them to die against indies a viable strategy?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2019, 12:15:05 pm »

I really don't know. I didn't do a huge amount of testing before signing on as Nazca, I just liked the concept behind the nation.

Flying troops! Leaders that have to be killed twice before you lose them! Loads of magic paths! Some mayincatec flavor without also using blood magic! I might not have used it particularly well but I still like the nation. Probably could have used a better bless too, oh well. I thought reinvigoration and more accurate spellcasting would be a winner.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2019, 01:55:59 pm »

I never tried figuring out how to play Nazca. I think it >needs< to rely on hordes of reanimated undead, what with their regular roster being militia-grade and practically not worth the money. I was surprised to see no walking dead in your armies (until this turn, but too late, too little).

I think this has since been nerfed a bit, but the old Nazca strategy was to get a hellbless for some of the summonable sacreds and rush the heck out of someone.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2019, 02:50:32 pm »

Yeah, that's my fault. When I finally went to extend the hosting time it was immediately after it rolled over, before the emails were sent out. And of course Bay12 was down so I couldn't ask everyone not to post and roll back the turn.

Except I remembered that I can send emails as an admin. Fuck. I'm really sorry about that, everyone. We really need a co-admin or something to manage things while I'm away. I've bumped up the hosting interval to 48 hours now, so hopefully we'll have more of a buffer. I'm still sorry about it.

I think this has since been nerfed a bit, but the old Nazca strategy was to get a hellbless for some of the summonable sacreds and rush the heck out of someone.

It's been nerfed a lot. You get less sacreds per turn, the item that gave you more got nerfed, and their stats were tweaked downwards a little too. Not nearly as viable as it used to be.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2019, 03:30:43 pm »

I sent you PM - I can coadmin, at least for the time being.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2019, 10:14:09 pm »

Gmail isn't letting me download my turns.
Is this resolved?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2019, 04:40:46 am »

Is this resolved?

Nope. Much to my annoyance... Decent chance you'll have to go on without me.. (And we were just getting to the good part!)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2019, 07:32:14 am »

Is this resolved?

Nope. Much to my annoyance... Decent chance you'll have to go on without me.. (And we were just getting to the good part!)
You can always set up a new email account elsewhere, just for the purpose of this game. The turn can be resent to your new address.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20