Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Colleges of Magic (3/3 Players) - Y1 Summer  (Read 4251 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Colleges of Magic (3/3 Players) - Setup
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 03:21:29 pm »

Are poorer students hard-locked to spending less time as students? I would think that them being able work their way through would help with that.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 03:58:40 pm »

soft-locked in fact. The more they have to pay the less they can spend at school. Even though you waived room and board there is still the entry fee to pay which many of them barely can afford. So yeah poorer students study for a shorter time. unless you waive fees completely or introduce stipends.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 04:35:11 pm »

How much money do each of us have?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2019, 04:37:39 pm »

stated in your sheets.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2019, 05:10:41 pm »

Oh, I just found the place where I can change sheets. Thanks

Edit:
I looked in General Information and I can't find anything about servants
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:17:14 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2019, 06:33:46 am »

Year 1, Spring

Gearson Tower

Finally it is finished, Gearson Tower, though small, can finally open. Already your professor and your first students have arrived and settled in.

You would spend more time supervising them but currently you have to deal with finding a patron. Which turns out surprisingly easy. A Mage Tower is considered a sound investment...

The Crown of Wenst
King Mira herself is interested in your tower and so is willing to provide funding. This will however tie you to Wenst itself, with all that entails.

Shady Business
You are approached by a shady figure in the night as well. They are willing to front conisderable amounts of money...but to deal with criminals means being beholden to their wiles...but also getting access to connections only they have.

Even Shadier Business
Even more curious you recieve a letter delivered by a Goblin. Of course int he middle of the night. You nearly jumped out of your skin. Greenskins are rare these days, but to recieve a letter from an Ork is rare as can be. They are near mythical. Extraordinary mages living in secluded family clans, they felled entire elven armies before being eventually driven into the far reaches of the lands. Ork Fiefdoms are given a wide berth these days...who knows what they will demand...or offer?

Against your very nature
And then there is the message from the elves...you are not sure if you should instantly burn it...even considering their offer would be scandalous.

The Unnamed Tower

With Hunters giving you a credible front, it is now that you have to turn to the matter of the Convent of Her Divine Retribution proper. There are several ways to approach it:

For now ignore them

Try and bribe several individuals
How you would achieve that, is a question you should ponder further...

Announce your existence openly and offer your services
An extremely risky way of dealing with militant religious fanatics, but hey if you have a plan on how to work this go right ahead.

And then there is the issue of getting finance...

Finding someone in Unst is exceedingly hard, no wonder most sane people dealing with magic go somewhere safe and reasonable like Far Moss or Wenst. Yet there are still those willing to deal with you.

The Cults
Working with someone who is probably insane, worships beings from beyond the pale and wishes nothing more than to have them rule over us like the vermin we are seems like sound financial planning.

Ordo Perseus
And then there are some more radical factions in the Inquisition...some deep and dark corners were some think fighting fire with fire is not going far enough, what they offer and what they demand is in equal terms enticing and even to a dark mage like you...utterly terrifying.

Academy of Deeper Study of Reality Inversal.

The Tower is built your students and professors have arrived and its time for the first quarter. You also realize that you haven't put anyone in their respective Houses yet...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Colleges of Magic (3/3 Players) - Y1 Spring
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2019, 07:31:25 am »

Greta Gearson chooses The Crown of Wenst as her patron
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:48:05 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2019, 07:36:52 am »

the inquisitor faction known as Ordo Perseus is by far our best route, but for the sake of our safety we will hold off announcing ourselves until we can strike a deal, since doing anything less would threaten an immediate crusade on our doorstep.
Worst case, if Ordo Perseus is disbanded or otherwise rendered powerless, we can pretend to peacefully disband and return to our hidden operation style with some time. While working with cults is all well and good, i don’t particularly like the idea of being a plaything for something with one too many limbs.

In short: attempt to gain patronship with Ordo Perseus. If we manage to do that, we can reveal ourselves.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2019, 10:03:46 am »

Thaddeus decides against sorting the students into houses for now, and awaits the start of the term.

I want a real TC professor before encouraging anyone to study it (or not), so I think the only real benefit I can get right now is deciding priority access to the library. I'll see how things to without that.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2019, 07:47:06 am »

Year 1, Summer

Gearson Tower

Merely a season has passed and already the support of the crown is noticeable. An initial grant of 1000 Gold, no strings attached has been sent.

Meanwhile Asuvius has decided to take both Pondal and Ulfang under his care. He immediately began teaching them the basics of Sympathetic Magic.
While the remainders did menial work, Hans managed to spend some extra time in the library and began teaching himself the basics all by himself.

3 Students have learned something
Asuvius managed to progress in his research
Crown Grant: 1000 Gold

The Unnamed Tower

Within one week of your letter you find an Inquisitor with a company of battle-nuns from the convent at your doorstep. You find yourself uncomfortably evicted fromy our own office in favour for the Inquisitor.

Within two weeks, A Cadre of Penitent Mages, their handlers, a supply caravan and a village worth of lumberjacks, carpenters, masons, smiths and other personnel arrived to begin building.

Within three weeks, you have been notified that you are now the Prometheus Site, that leaving this place is punishable by death and that your new status is Penitent Warden. Your students are all taken aside, one by one and by the evening four pyres are burning in your courtyard. The Cultists.

Number 1 comes back, worse for wear, but still alive.

Within four weeks, both you and Eghis have undergone the Question and are now bearing burn marks in places humans should not bear such things. Yet still you are alive...and now you are expected to serve Her Will.

Four students have been burnt for consorting with false idols
You have gained the Patronage of Ordo Perseus

Academy of Deeper Study of Reality Inversal.

Sinell immediately takes on a visibly confused Maria, as she explains the grandfather paradox except with transdimensional horrors to a poor peasant girl.

Meanwhile Stepan and Inorim have begun conversing about the foundations of elder lore as both seem to take a liking to each other.

Finally Cleft actually decides to take on a student. Othall. Although all you see the poor boy do is clean the hallways of the tower with a mop...day in and day out.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Colleges of Magic (3/3 Players) - Y1 Summer
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2019, 07:54:31 am »

Buy Scribes Office 100 Gold
Buy Small Office 100 God
Buy Small Office 100 Gold
Buy Small Mess Hall 100 Gold
Buy Staff Room 100 Gold
Buy Dorm Room 100 Gold
Buy Staff Room 100 Gold

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2019, 11:11:25 am »

It seems we have to beware of trap options. At least you didn't pay for the cultists.

Ghazkull: I'm considering giving Othall back what he spent in Spring as payment for working, and buying him a book on TC, so he can learn something even if Cleft keeps being herself. In this culture, how offensive or taboo would the average wizard find messing with someone's "teaching methods" like this be? How much would the book cost?
Can I spend some money looking for more students, or does it have to wait for a new year?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2019, 12:16:46 pm »

students come every new year, same with looking for new profs.

For sake of my sanity, you cannot buy single books on topics and equip them on people. You can however buy a collection of books for your library. That still means only one person can access it at any given time though. Same goes for money back.

You simply have to live with it that you won't necessarily give high quality education in the first few years. your first graduates might go back to becoming peasantry or simple hedge wizards.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »

Buy Small Office 100 God
Buy Staff Room 100 Gold
Buy Dorm Room 100 Gold
Buy Staff Room 100 Gold

Is this a good format for buying things?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2019, 03:34:30 pm »

I'll pass my turn, then, not much I can do.

Buy Small Office 100 God
Buy Staff Room 100 Gold
Buy Dorm Room 100 Gold
Buy Staff Room 100 Gold

Is this a good format for buying things?
I don't think there's much benefit, since we get new people yearly but you'd (presumably) have to start paying maintenance now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6