Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Colleges of Magic (3/3 Players) - Y1 Summer  (Read 4248 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Colleges of Magic (3/3 Players) - Setup
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 11:04:43 am »

(I'm loving these teacher profiles. Do you randomise the stats & traits first and then give them a description, or make up challenging characters and then give them appropriate traits?)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 11:27:28 am »

A great spread for fields, but the teachers are otherwise going to make everything explode, not care about it, and leave my students to figure everything out from mad scribbling and the exciting new voices sapping their SAN. So let's do it.

Do I have the funds to build a tower add-on?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2019, 01:54:42 pm »

SC Daily Messenger Falcon Advise: Inorim seems like the best option for useful magic and useful traits, though what does laissez-faire mean? She act like a capitalist?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 02:12:39 pm »

(/ˌlɛseɪˈfɛər/; French: [lɛsefɛʁ] (About this soundlisten); from French: laissez faire, lit. 'let do') is an economic system in which transactions between private parties are free from any form of government intervention such as regulation, privileges, imperialism, tariffs and subsidies.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2019, 02:18:22 pm »

Laissez faire as a personality trait means taking a hands-off approach. It makes sense alongside lazy and uncaring.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2019, 02:53:41 pm »

I expect her teaching would involve the bare minimum of instruction before throwing them into the field. Any failures are a lesson on what not to do in the future, and anyone who can't figure it out on their own obviously has no talent and should give up to become a farmer.

Inorim will make great strides in Elder Lore, but a century of studying his writings won't be enough to figure out everything he discovers. Assuming of course that his writings aren't an informational hazard. I'm wary that his unknown trait leaves him as an informational hazard that will turn my tower into the center of a Lovecraftian cult, but he's my only competent staff and I think I need him, even without his money.

Sinell is the most likely to summon a demogorgon, and the least likely to actually teach enough to even get an apprentice-level graduate. I'm keeping her anyway, just in case she figures out part of the path to creating transport portals.

I expect my first few turns to be spent trying to get a TC wizard more competent than Cleft. This shouldn't be difficult, and, in fact, I expect a student to be more useful than her if they can survive a few years in the tower.

I wanted to encourage a culture of my students working closely together. They'll need to do that to learn anything here with this spread of teachers anyway, so that works out. At least until an inquisitor notices that every single student ends up graduating as a cultist, but that's the price you have to pay for magic sometimes.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2019, 03:21:22 pm »

Thanks to Inquisition funding (and rolling very good there) you can freely expand your tower immediately contrary to the other players. However the mroe you expand at the moment the more you will owe to the Inquisition. And the Inquisition always collects...always.

As for Laissez Faire basically what Nirur Torir said. Laissez-Faire is not only a capitalist style of economy but a very anti-authoritarian style of raising/educating your children. It became popular in Germany for a while and led to the founding of the so called Waldorf schools. a very anti-authoritatian style of education. As far as my personal experiences go, people from those schools mostly only can dance their own names (yes thats a thing and a constant joke about those schools) and otherwise dont go far in life.
In game terms laissez-faire will mean what nirur torir put ahead. Its a completely hands-off do or die approach to educating folks on magic.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2019, 05:17:11 pm »

Academy of the Deeper Studies of Reality Inversal

Thaddeus decided to accept all six applicants. There weren't enough to be picky, as much as he wanted to be.

He would hire a few servants, and have a living area built for six servants. For now, he would only hire a cook, a maid, and a scribe. The cook and maid would allow more time for academic pursuits. The scribe would try to record Sinell's findings. He didn't expect much success there, but following her thought process over time would hopefully allow someone interested enough in the field to recreate any discoveries she may make. When she didn't need the scribe, he would work in the library or for the other professors, as secondary work. He made a note to himself to check the literacy of the students, he would need to hire a tutor if they were illiterate.

He also had a small library built, with plenty of blank pages and ink for the professors and students to use. He would also send word to a few Olgen merchants and a contact in the local Inquisition, looking for introductory magic texts that weren't too expensive. He hoped that the Inquisition would spare some innocuous beginner texts found during a raid. He also hoped to have a few fun cantrips in the library, to reward and encourage more studious students: Elder Lore and Quantum-Space Thaumaturgy aren't the sort of art that inspire children to stick with the beauty of magic.

He would put out feelers for another TC professor, to better fulfill the Institute's obligation to the Inquisiton, and someone able to teach the basics of magic. He didn't expect much from his current professors on that front. Cleft claimed to be an expert, and if this proved truthful then he would likely keep her on as a field agent for Inquisition duties and safeguarding the tower against their more dangerous studies.

The tower's food quality would be average.
Students would pay a modest fee for room & board, enough to cover the better food and writing supplies. The fees could be waived by academic service, such as tutoring, working in the library, acting as scribes for the professors, or Inquisition duties. He wanted to encourage a cooperative atmosphere for students to help each other puzzle out the secrets of magic, and this would be a good way to do so.
As they grew, he would find a way to encourage successful students to write about their successes and failures to help smooth out the learning process for further generations.

Edit: And I'll charge rent from my professors. They're not being hired to teach, and certainly aren't very good at it, and so they can pay for the privileged of doing research in a quiet tower with servants, food, and potential apprentices.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:31:46 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2019, 04:40:35 pm »

I want to try to analyze the magic schools, making wild guesses off of the little information we know.

White Necromancy is largely characterized through the summoning of willing spirits and souls (which is still illegal by the way) and far more importantly its use in medicine. White Necromancy spells allow the removal of dead tissue, cleaning of wounds and other things beyond that. In conjunction with Life Magic it allows the use of magic on rotting or decaying wounds, removal of parasites and similiar finnicky operations where the use of Life Magic would only make the problem worse. As such it is under strict surveillance within the Kingdom of Wenst but still allowed.
Black Necromancy. The reanimation of corpses with lesser demons and the damned souls gained through bargain with demons from beyond the Pale. Black Necromancy is forbidden almost everywhere, since it cleaves very, very close to actual demonology. Beyond its reanimation spells, Black Necromancy also contains harmful spells used for combat aswell as several crossover disciplines from Demonology.
I'm not sure how exploitable necromancy really is, aside from the obvious "hordes of the dead" approach. You can build a factory or have tireless unskilled workers, but they probably don't learn normally, and so would only be better than peasants for industrial purposes in that they're logistically easier to maintain. You can probably use it to make logic gates and a low-yield Turing Machine, but it'll be huge.
You can use it on a path to immortality, but that upsets the Inquisition even more than necromancy already does, and I'm not keen on granting immortality to any of our broken professors, or the students who will gain all sorts of interesting traumas from them. You can sell it to nobles, but this leads to a distinctly horrifying society.

Asavius practices a barely known form of magic. Sympathetic Magic deals with the linking of objects or sentients and hwo they can be affected by each other. Voodoo dolls are one child of Sympathetic Magic.
OP, best school of any of us.
I expect it to have low-hanging fruits of two-way comms mirrors (with a secret third for evil surveillance, if you want to go that route), which nobles and merchants would absolutely love. You could sell dolls to military wives so they know when their husbands die, or sell chastity rings so nobles know when their spouse cheats. If it can affect emotions one-way, you can keep soldiers from routing, or just nearly mind-control people. And of course there's the basic service of voodoo dolls for agents on sensitive work or high value courier runs, to ensure loyalty.
At the higher end, you have immortality by Portrait of Dorian Grey. Make it so it needs regular maintenance by high-level Sympathetic Magic users, and you have half the nobles and merchants in your pocket. If you can get around the Inquisition. It still has most of the problems of necromantic immortality, but at least you'll have the keys.
Best if all is that you have a near monopoly on this branch of magic.

Ibin Al-Lodril is trained in the ancient elven art of crystal-singing. Mostly used to craft the infamous (and extremely illegal) soul crystals which elven necromancers and blood sorcerers use, this magic is not only restricted but also rare.
I think it can make crystal magi-computers, which should be far more efficient than zombie-based computers. This is good. That or they're just magic batteries, which you can still make good use of.

Quote from: Quantum-Space Thaumaturgy
Sinell...is special. Yes lets leave it at that. she seems to do a lot of sticking pencils through folded papers...so theres that.
Sinell seems to think it's about dimensions and bridging between them. I can probably use it as a game-spanning megaproject to get rich through a portal network.
I expect this field to be about exactly how standard magic works on a fundamental level. I'm not sure what good it is, but I might be able to optimize spells or get some exotic effects out of it.

He is leading in the field of Elder Lore, Magic Knowledge dealing with the beings beyond the Pale
This being a blue sky thaumaturgy field, my first thought is that magic is inherently part of outer gods. If "fireball" is a function call, and normal spellcrafters write new functions, this could eventually be used to write new programs or programming languages.

But after re-reading Black Necromancy, demons are also "from beyond the Pale." They might use a different magical system I can tap into, if the world/universe is basically floating in a +dimensional reality bubble.
I don't think a field that's just "demon lore" would be given under Thaumaturgy, and direct demonology would have dire warnings since the Inquisition is right behind me with a sword, daring me to step wrong.

TC is less of a magical field and more how to apply various spells to reduce and contain magic and its effects. You could call it Anti-Magic studies if you wanted to...
This is a black sheep that barely fits in with thaumaturgy, other than being needed for thaumaturgy.
I think I can use knowledge about the basics of magic to get better at countering all forms of magic, and this is my field of practical magic. It's limited, but the Inquisition likes it, merchants might like a room that's hard to scry on, and secure facilities would be pleased with hiring anti-mages. If I can figure out a way to enchant things with magic resistance, I can use it on walls or on infantry shields for warfare.
It's definitely something I need to keep up with for my other fields, and since the Inquisition will be recruiting them, I need to make training TC mages a primary focus.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2019, 08:47:42 pm »

I just want to apologize to everyone for not acting here. College life now.

Also watching this thread.

Ghazkull is in my opinion one of the best, original guys in this place with setting and stuff.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 10:35:52 am »

Heh, thanks.

Anyhow updates rolling around today tomorrowish, there were some delays due to me having a small work accident but yeah things should get rolling soonish...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 12:17:11 pm »

Cool

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 12:51:25 pm »

Okay here is the link to the sheet with your School Informations as well as some explanations to rooms and buildings. This will naturally grow as the game progresses and i will probably add a central info dump in regards to magic disciplines, traits etc later on.

Starting work on the Turn update now (that includes Dustans search for a patron)

EDIT:

stupid me is stupid here is the link

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2019, 01:13:59 pm »

you seem to have missed my desire to be close by to a burial ground. is that intentional, or..?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 02:01:43 pm »

Yes, you had three starting options: the burial site, the hunters lodge and the mercs. You chose the hunters lodge, which closes out the other two. doesn't prevent you from somehow bamboozling some poor peasantry into building their cemetary nearby.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6