Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gathering & Shipping Clown Blood  (Read 990 times)

Hinklehonk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Gathering & Shipping Clown Blood
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:10:31 pm »

Per the title, I'm looking for a way to get blood from clowns into a form where I can then have an adventurer lug it from one fort to another.  From what I've read so far, people don't seem to think its possible, but I figured I'd ask since the thread I found (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121980.msg3969466#msg3969466)is more than a couple years old. 

Why do I want to do this?  Well, for a different project, I would like to make a fort dedicated to collecting and shipping various syndromes for use in my other forts on the same world.  Syndromes come from both clowns and megabeasts (are clowns megabeasts, technically?), but forgotten beasts don't appear frequently/reliably enough to warrant harvesting them.  Instead, I'm going to crack open the circus and use the influx of clowns to gather a large selection of clowns that might just have the syndromes I want.  Clowns that have the 'toxic blood' descriptor and are made out of flesh will be shepherded into cells via the use of bait, and clowns that the Red Cross can't use will be cycled back into the circus through the same methods.  Once in their cells, clowns will be damaged remotely (thinking x-bows), led into a second cell, and then water flow will gather the blood of each clown into individual cells.  Feline volunteers will be exposed to the blood, and resulting symptoms will be observed to determine the kind of syndrome present.  Unwanted blood samples will be cleaned out alongside the clowns that generated them, whereas the wanted samples will be multiplied through the use of flowing water.  At that point, the blood will be harvested and shipped to fortresses that need it (i.e. unconsciousness-causing syndromes for vampire feeding fodder and numbness syndromes for super-soldiers).

That's where I'm at a loss.  After retiring the fort, I need to have an adventurer be able to come in and transport the blood samples.  Is there a way to do this?  I'd like to stay as close to vanilla as possible, as figuring out dumb tricks to do dumb things using the existing complexity is a major part of the fun DF offers.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:39:12 pm by Hinklehonk »

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering & Shipping Clown Blood
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:47:54 pm »

Perhaps buckets could work. So instead of barrels of blood, you just transport the infected water in a bucket.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 03:55:15 am »

What that thread spoke about was barrels of blood. And that (still) can't be done in vanilla.

However, your question isn't about barrels, but moving a syndrome around. This is much easier.

1. Stab or shoot a procedural with toxic blood anywhere. The item is now coated in blood.
2. Apply blood to other creatures by same procedure (this may remove the blood). Alternatively, transport weapon to desired killing ground and drop a bit of water on it to move the blood from item to ground. Be careful to prevent the blood being washed into a wall; direct drop of 3/7 onto 1x1 ramp hole will work.

Second method does have the issue of your dwarves washing it off, especially since dwarves were set to clear Outside. You can helpfully prevent their access in particular by using obsidian-cast lowered raising bridges (or all access in general if those bridges are raised).

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:45:52 am »

1. Capture an elf
2. Pit them in the poisonous blood tank
3. Put the corpse somewhere accessible by the future adventurer