Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Sport  (Read 1172 times)

M3ep0No6

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Sport
« on: September 24, 2019, 11:48:00 pm »

So I know this topic has been touched on in other threads however, I would like highlight sport specifically.

I've had a number of tantrum spirals occur where I felt I've done everything to keep the dwarves happy and I've played some Final Fantasy X recently which gave me an idea. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to suggest that blitzball be implemented in DF. What I would like to suggest is to implement a global sport that can be spectated by visitors which gives happy thoughts, and possibly be a source of income. Drawing on the Final Fantasy analogy: Spira is a world where everything is hopeless and yet the citizens still make the effort to play and watch a sport. Why can't Niralkar, "The Portentous Dimension" have a great sport?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Sport
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:17:04 am »

Final Fantasy?

Eh, not sure, will give it a pass but dwarves already participate in sport for w.g events, which is a development goal and have no need for global revenue. If its globally popular then i guess that helps, and getting the right places set up with a LOS for other dwarves to watch and not actually get killed/skewered/trampled would be a important technical challenge.
  • Feasibly, bored dwarves could repurpose a archery range to practice discus or javelin throwing
  • Wrestling is a sport and a military skill, as is boxing or martial arts mixtures of grappling, striking and kicking

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 05:26:13 am »

This is a nice idea with lots of room to expand.
It's true that they already have competitions in WG, so maybe it is a future goal for some distant arc, but I don't recall ever reading about it.
Sports could be fixed or proc-gened like instruments (number of players, of teams, of balls, of goals, objectives, etc); dwarves could develop an affinity for specific teams or athletes (also extremes: hooliganism?); athletes could move around the world to participate in organized tournaments (Olympics?), or you could send your best athletes to represent your site/government; stadiums!  Training rooms!

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 07:36:01 am »

How about some gladiator stuff? I.e. A new zone type could be created called "Arena" and witnesses of people being killed in it would not be scared, but have happy thoughts. To balance it out so marking everything as arena won't become a way to avoid tantrums, only dwarfs with a new Gladiator (which would exclude any other labors) labor would be able to enter the arena. Corpses would decay normally in the arena, however they wou;dn't release any ghosts on the account that the person died happily and knew before hand that death may occur.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 02:01:03 pm »

Horseplay as sport?

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 02:15:51 pm »

died happily

Unless they were forced into the arena! Prisoners, slaves, etc.

Granted, enemy units don't generate ghosts anyway. But what if you do "Execution by Arena" for a criminal citizen?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 10:29:31 pm »

Dwarf tossing
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:01:37 am »

Dwarves have footraces in legends already.