Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [i]Not[/i] Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 4640 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
[i]Not[/i] Terrible Suggestions Thread
« on: September 24, 2019, 06:34:57 pm »

Given the recent not so bad suggestions on the terrible suggestions thread, I thought we could use a thread for good suggestions too, that are small enough to not need a topic

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [i]Not[/i] Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:10:04 am »

So is this the terrible suggestion's threads "Greatest hits"?

Lets start with our first hit:
Dwarves with low milking skill should have a chance of trying to milk an animal of the wrong sex.

This is great in a subtle way and mirrors the low skill gelder's failure condition, a unfortunate case of dwarf-handling gone wrong for much the same reaction of it turning around and hoofing them in the face.
  • Because creatures can be made any such way, as to make a male milkable creature for example with modding, it should deliberately search for geldables on a caste to mistake.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:13:19 am by FantasticDorf »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:38:07 am »

So is this the terrible suggestion's threads "Greatest hits"?

Lets start with our first hit:
Dwarves with low milking skill should have a chance of trying to milk an animal of the wrong sex.

This is great in a subtle way and mirrors the low skill gelder's failure condition, a unfortunate case of dwarf-handling gone wrong for much the same reaction of it turning around and hoofing them in the face.
  • Because creatures can be made any such way, as to make a male milkable creature for example with modding, it should deliberately search for geldables on a caste to mistake.

If it were up to me, they would also double-fail on occasion and actually produce a bucket of... "Unknown Substance" :P

But for reals though... no. that was in the terrible suggestions thread for a reason. Besides, only someone pretty stupid would mistake any male mammal for a female.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 08:49:55 am »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 09:51:37 am »

There's too many good ones in the Terrible Suggestion thread.

My terrible recommendation: just rename the original thread.

Also:
Cats should be one of the possible spheres for generated magic. Cat-based spells everywhere.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 10:37:36 am »

cats that get wet will go on a rampage clawing everything in their way
tantrums will no longer kill forts
cats will :D
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 10:43:10 am »

Wait, you can't define typefaces in thread names? What is this, 2006?

Well, since it's come to this, there's no point in not contributing.

Forest retreats should have ramps and staircases carved or shaped into the trees that make up their buildings. Currently, there is no walkable path into the trees, and no way to access these sites if you somehow cannot climb. I assume this may have something to do with the fact I have never observed an elf willingly leave one of its tree-buildings.
EDIT: Real talk though, this is actually an issue I'd like to see fixed, it's just too small for me to make an entire thread for.

I also want to go on record saying that you can't rightly call my your own suggestions terrible or not terrible until they are submitted it for approval.
Spoiler: The Struggle Is Real (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:00:19 am by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 10:48:43 am »

cats that get wet will go on a rampage clawing everything in their way
tantrums will no longer kill forts
cats will :D

Those are called tigers.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 10:59:14 am »

no its just the normal cats
you embark while it's raining and then wonder why everyone is bleeding out from leg wounds
then you realize
cats
everything is fine
 everything is on fire

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 11:01:26 am »

Wait, you can't define typefaces in thread names? What is this, 2006?

Well, since it's come to this, there's no point in not contributing.

Forest retreats should have ramps and staircases carved or shaped into the trees that make up their buildings. Currently, there is no walkable path into the trees, and no way to access these sites if you somehow cannot climb. I assume this may have something to do with the fact I have never observed an elf willingly leave one of its tree-buildings.

I also want to go on record saying that you can't rightly call my your own suggestions terrible or not terrible until they are submitted it for approval.
Spoiler: The Struggle Is Real (click to show/hide)
Intent, mate the difference is if you actually want the suggestions in the game or if you think they are terrible

Animalmen have a chance of banding together and rebelling against the civ they are in, taking it over. Now there would be a chance of your civ being run by owlmen/antmen. Killing a member of the species of which nobles are is punishable the same as if dwarves were killed. A dwarven civ with an ant man as the monarch would not be allowed to kill antmen and antmen outside the civ would not kill dwarves from the civ because antmen rule them. (Antmen is used to denote that it is by species, armadillomen will still attack members of a lizardman ruled civ)

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 11:14:25 am »

Intent, mate the difference is if you actually want the suggestions in the game or if you think they are terrible

Animalmen have a chance of banding together and rebelling against the civ they are in, taking it over. Now there would be a chance of your civ being run by owlmen/antmen. Killing a member of the species of which nobles are is punishable the same as if dwarves were killed. A dwarven civ with an ant man as the monarch would not be allowed to kill antmen and antmen outside the civ would not kill dwarves from the civ because antmen rule them. (Antmen is used to denote that it is by species, armadillomen will still attack members of a lizardman ruled civ)
would fire and men and black ant men be considered different species? 
everything is fine
 everything is on fire

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 11:30:21 am »

There is only one type of antman in the game.
pug

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 11:37:49 am »

If there were multiple types of antmen they would be considered different species

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 04:38:21 pm »

Almost everything should be recyclable. 
Glass should be recyclable like metal producing raw glass, which should be usable in place of sand in glass object production.  Historically glass was traded as ingots in classical antiquity. 
Wooden objects should be able to be converted into charcoal based on size storing fractional bars in the furnace in the same way smelters store fractional metal bars from melting. 
Quilts should be possible from worn cloth items and dwarves should use them to upgrade the quality of their beds.  Rag paper was promised at some point and is also a good idea, but quilts are another way worn clothing has historically been recycled. 
Bone objects should be able to be ground into bone meal fertilizer at a quern or millstone. 
Anything organic should be able to be incinerated in a furnace to produce ash (plus fuel ash, so burning something like a bed would take a log and produce two ash (one for the log, one for the bed) while burning something like a xquiverx would take a log and produce an extra fractional unit of ash in the furnace for the xquiverx).
Rock objects should be able to be turned to gravel that can be used directly for paving roads, in reactions (probably at 3 gravel to the stone since a bunch of crafting processes produce 3 products), and mixed with quicklime to make concrete. 
Pottery shard were used in antiquity along with lime to produce early hydraulic cements, but I'm unsure if DF is ready to support construction from above in a way that would make hydraulic cements useful. 

Merchants should not accept anything of xqualityx or lower.  They're the least annoying way to dispose of xcrapx, though, so manager automatable recycling chains are kind of needed first. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 04:41:04 pm »

It seems a pity to hide actual suggestions in a thread like this. People might be fooled into thinking Toady and Threetoe will actually see them (as opposed to threads in the suggestions forum which they will).

No suggestion that hasn't been made before is "small enough to not need a topic".
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 04:43:57 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: [1] 2