Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 9077 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Holidays
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2019, 12:08:50 pm »

I was hoping to rp it as dwarves in your fort getting married after knowing each other for awhile, but I guess that's true that random people could end up getting married after only knowing each other for a few days (especially after a migrant wave).
Generally, I would expect most dwarves in a typical fortress to have precisely zero friends. So you could limit it to among friends, but that's going to  cut into the 1/3 ratio.

On a related note, if you marry 1/3 of population off each time, by the fourth year there's going to be near zero suitable matches, barring migrants. The greater the initial effect, the sooner the pool of singles is depleted.

I was also thinking of maybe a way to incorporate contracts, boundary disputes, agreements, etc. A holiday where people are all about making oaths and signing contracts. Could have diplomats and outpost liaisons from all of the civs you know come to make deals, talk and discuss things?
The reason I didn't think of anything but marriage was that the current diplomatic/ownership system is fairly barebones. There's trade agreements, and civ relative relationships, and in fortress individual dwarves may own their clothing and some trinkets.

So all such oaths would have to be constructed from the ground up. This may prove...difficult. Villain update might make it easier, with individual positions having more responsibilities and abilities so that they could misuse those.

Yeah. I was thinking ghosts and other things coming back to life (maybe reanimation for the day or slabs breaking?), spooky stuff, but I dont want to create too much issue in the fort where the holiday becomes more of a pain then fun, causing tantrums and such.

I could change the holiday to be more about ancestors though. I could create a new friendly ghost creature that doesnt scare people and have a bunch of those show up as visitors.
Built slab destruction is going to result in murderous ghosts (even if the ghosts initially wasn't murderous).

So yanno, mileage may vary. It rather stands out amongst all other holidays which are generally fairly positive.

An untouchable "ghost" visitor - potentially with the soul of somebody lost in fortress - would be neat way to make the interaction visible, though I fear it would result in no actual interactions unless forced to stand next to their bereaved.

On that note, this does also bring up the importance of player participation/interaction in the holidays.

I like this idea. I wonder if there is a way to make this day beneficial for farmers to plant seeds? Maybe a bonus to the grow skill temporarily?
Could work. Alternatively, seeds in farm plots also have planting skill set, and of course the plots themselves could be fertilized as well. This is going to be fairly easy, but I fear also fairly unnoticeable. Something like trees unseasonally growing fruits would be more visible, but that plays more into harvest.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2019, 01:24:48 pm »

It's the modulo stuff again

68%12 = 68 modulo 12 = 8
Because
68/12 = 5 and 8/12

Basically just calculates the remainder after a division

As a side note, just because I like math, as humans we almost exclusively work in mod 10 because we have 10 fingers. That's why when we count we go up to 10 and then we get to 11 which is just 10 + 1 or 10 + 11%10. But an intelligent species with only 8 fingers would probably work in mod 8. So their counting convention would "reset" at 8, just like ours "resets" at 10. Of course this isn't necessarily true as various civilizations throughout history have used different base modulo despite having 10 fingers, but it is interesting to think about

Awesome thanks. This should be pretty easy to do. Now I just have come up with 12 animals and things that each year could do. Should these be normal animals/beasts or more rare/exotic? Any ideas on what effects each year would have?

Also should a popup tell you what year it is everytime the game is loaded or only on granite 1 of a new year? If it dowsnt popup on load, you would have to figure out the year yourself.

Generally, I would expect most dwarves in a typical fortress to have precisely zero friends. So you could limit it to among friends, but that's going to  cut into the 1/3 ratio.

On a related note, if you marry 1/3 of population off each time, by the fourth year there's going to be near zero suitable matches, barring migrants. The greater the initial effect, the sooner the pool of singles is depleted.

The reason I didn't think of anything but marriage was that the current diplomatic/ownership system is fairly barebones. There's trade agreements, and civ relative relationships, and in fortress individual dwarves may own their clothing and some trinkets.

So all such oaths would have to be constructed from the ground up. This may prove...difficult. Villain update might make it easier, with individual positions having more responsibilities and abilities so that they could misuse those.

Yeah. I may need to figure this holiday out a bit more. It may be cool to have every civ diplomat show up at the same time though. Although as you said, they dont really do much.

So yanno, mileage may vary. It rather stands out amongst all other holidays which are generally fairly positive.

An untouchable "ghost" visitor - potentially with the soul of somebody lost in fortress - would be neat way to make the interaction visible, though I fear it would result in no actual interactions unless forced to stand next to their bereaved.

On that note, this does also bring up the importance of player participation/interaction in the holidays.

I may need to work out this holiday a bit more too.

I was hoping that each holiday would seem to be naturally part of the world that all of the dwarves know about and acknowledge but how far the player takes the celebration of the holidays would be up to them (e.g keep working everyone like nothing is going on or send everyone to the tavern for drinks, do some special event, etc.)

Could work. Alternatively, seeds in farm plots also have planting skill set, and of course the plots themselves could be fertilized as well. This is going to be fairly easy, but I fear also fairly unnoticeable. Something like trees unseasonally growing fruits would be more visible, but that plays more into harvest.

I it being unnoticeable would be ok. The popup could tell the player to plant today for increased yield which the player would then know about. That would be enough for the player to take action.

EDIT: Should a leprechauns show up every year or should I make it a chance of a leprechaun?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:30:13 pm by brolol.404 »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2019, 02:07:52 pm »

Here is a screenshot of a temperate biome with all of the added plants (clovers, shamrocks, daisies, dandelions, poppies, primrose, bluebells, tulips) for spring. thoughts?

I could add similar for summer (sunflowers) and fall (dead grass) to make even more variation in the seasons.

Code: [Select]
current animal year:    10
initializing shamrock holiday
initializing shamrock countdown
shamrock tick:  19200   current tick:   16800   ticks to shamrock:      2400
initializing easter holiday
initializing easter countdown
easter tick:    46800   current tick:   16800   ticks to easter:        30000
initializing fire holiday
initializing fire countdown
fire tick:      123600  current tick:   16800   ticks to fire:  106800
initializing harvest holiday
initializing harvest countdown
harvest tick:   168000  current tick:   16800   ticks to harvest:       151200
initializing halloween holiday
initializing halloween countdown
halloween tick: 267600  current tick:   16800   ticks to halloween:     250800
initializing thanksgiving holiday
initializing thanksgiving countdown
thanksgiving tick:      301200  current tick:   16800   ticks to thanksgiving:  284400
initializing christmas holiday
initializing christmas countdown
christmas tick: 331200  current tick:   16800   ticks to christmas:     314400
initializing valentine holiday
initializing valentine countdown
valentine tick: 385200  current tick:   16800   ticks to valentine:     368400
calibrating leprechaun position
leprechaun positioning: [ 172 134 173 ]
extracting holiday thoughts
merrymakers thinking:   7
initializing shamrock countdown
shamrock tick:  19200   current tick:   19201   ticks to shamrock:      403199

All of the lua files have been added in with their countdown timers and popup announcements. Now I just need to add in the exciting parts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2019, 01:33:26 am »

EDIT: Should a leprechauns show up every year or should I make it a chance of a leprechaun?
Well, I'd say every year is fine, assuming it runs away as quickly as kobold thieves - player's may not catch it during most years, and when they do they have to put effort into it.

I it being unnoticeable would be ok. The popup could tell the player to plant today for increased yield which the player would then know about. That would be enough for the player to take action.
Quite fast action at that, assuming it's not applied to pre-existing seeds.
Here is a screenshot of a temperate biome with all of the added plants (clovers, shamrocks, daisies, dandelions, poppies, primrose, bluebells, tulips) for spring. thoughts?
Bit noisy, maybe dial down how much of the ground is not green?

Also, I hope the growth timers are little staggered off from each other so it's more like an animation.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2019, 06:33:01 pm »

Bit noisy, maybe dial down how much of the ground is not green?
Also, I hope the growth timers are little staggered off from each other so it's more like an animation.

Good points. I'll lower the frequencies and stagger the growth timers a bit more.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]