Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Evolution 4: Panspermia  (Read 4502 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evolution 4: Panspermia
« on: September 16, 2019, 01:29:32 am »

For generations your species has survived, hidden deep within a comet hurtling through space. Your icy spaceship held within its core a micro-ecosystem that endured the long journey through space. In those cold waters several species evolved and survived for an untold amount of time. Yet now, that age has come to an end. Your species has arrived at its destiny, a planet. As your home enters the atmosphere it breaks apart and crashes into an alien ocean, spilling its contents into the strange unknown waters. What the future holds for your species, its impossible to say. But one thing is certain, only the strong will survive.

Evolution: This is a turn based evolution game. At the beginning of each turn each player will make a small change to their creature. These can be used to manually evolve your creature's body, mind, or behaviors. Small evolutions may only take one turn, but the more complex the evolution, the more turns it will take. There will be a good deal of price checking at first, but as the game goes on we'll figure out about how many turns everything takes. At the end of each turn there is a chance that your species may randomly mutate without cost. This mutation can be beneficial or harmful, but will almost always be a small. After any mutation, your species as a whole advances, and those who do not advance will die off or speciate into an NPC.

Events: This world is unknown and changing all the time, occasionally large events may effect your species and the area in which you live. All species will have to adapt to survive. These can occur any turn, and even multiple turns in a row if the dice hate you.

Locations: There will be various locations which will have different mixes of plants and animals. There will be both land, fresh water, and ocean environments at start.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Feel free to submit additional sheets for NPC species as well. Just clearly mark them as such and I may snag them to flesh out the ecosystems.

This is basically going to be a carbon copy of the evolution game I ran forever ago. New locations, new creatures, same big idea. It's a classic game and hope y'all have fun with it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:43:13 am by Roboson »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution 4: Panspermia
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:26:33 am »

Thank's Robo!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:57:46 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 04:36:37 am »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:38:03 am »

Why? It's called a carp is simple folklore.
Likely cost for trait is the x2 multiplier. Roboson?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:50:15 am by TricMagic »

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 10:22:33 am »

Please forum  gods, let this game last for more than 2 turns.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I dont' know how much should i reduce my starting population. What do you think Robonson?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:24:38 am by Leonardo8 »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 10:26:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:26:20 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 10:34:25 am »

Scientific Name of species: venenum comedenti
Species Nickname: cleaners
Description of species: these creatures are reptilian like, they have black scales with a green strip that goes down its back vertically, has four limbs plus a tail...
Number of species: 26
Size of species: 3 L by 1 W
Trait: venom Resistance: AB
Carnivore/Herbivore scale: 0 (will eat anything)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:06:53 pm by darkwarlock3 »
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 12:41:24 pm »

Applications are still open. Probably going to take around 8 applicants. It will not be first come first serve. Application submission will close this evening, about 7 hours from this post.

Populations with traits taken into consideration:

Cleaners: 26

White Ray: 4 (May want to elaborate, aiming for speed, or bursts of movement, or generally stronger swimming, or something else?)

Blood Minnow: 140. Given how advanced pheromones could be and the overall complexity, 140 feels about right.

Dragon Carp: 20 seems good. Though they're very likely to only make it a few hundred years (under normal conditions) before they will have difficulty sustaining themselves.

Feeler Worms: 15.

Vampire Fish: 60. It seems all above board to me! Very detailed too.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:57 pm »

Sixty!

Woo!

Thank's Robo! I enjoyed making them and in case your wondering, proper preparation would involve thoroughly smoking/boiling or otherwise thoroughly cooking them to kill any parasitic diseases or otherwise in the blood they consume and to thoroughly clean them. These things would be a real nightmare in real life, just some semi-long fish lunging at your leg and drinking your blood, latching onto you.

I'm curious, where I can take them and where evolution takes them. Any plans for what happens when we make it to sentient species if we do?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 05:52:22 pm »

Spoiler: Parva comedenti (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:56:32 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 05:58:07 pm »

[spoiler=Parva Comedenti]
-snip-
[/spoilerj

Gotta give credit where it's due, it's not easy to fuck up spoiler tags by pressing j instead of ], as the two aren't even that close to eachother on the keyboard. Yet again, 2019ers will be 2019ers.
it's over

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »

-snip-
[/spoilerj

Gotta give credit where it's due, it's not easy to fuck up spoiler tags by pressing j instead of ], as the two aren't even that close to eachother on the keyboard. Yet again, 2019ers will be 2019ers.
I fixed it. Also I’m using an IPad and the symbol for brackets is in a similar place when the symbols key is pressed

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 06:17:38 pm »

-snip-
[/spoilerj

I fixed it. Also I’m using an IPad and the symbol for brackets is in a similar place when the symbols key is pressed
Well, go figure. I'm not even used to mobile typing.

Anyways, I might pitch in with some creatures if I can be bothered to and have the imagination, but otherwise I'm just gonna put this PTW here.
it's over

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 06:54:54 pm »

Hey Robo can I poke your head on some of your thoughts for the balancing of the racial traits?

Cleaners: 26 The Cleaners would have 66 population before Venom Resistance, that’s a significant decrease in population, is that intended?

White Ray: 4 I have fixed the problem, with a desire of improved velocity and acceleration when swimming.

Blood Minnow: 140. ”Seems Fine.”

Dragon Carp: 20 seems good. Though they're very likely to only make it a few hundred years (under normal conditions) before they will have difficulty sustaining themselves. ”Is it me or is this two traits at the price of one, a... venerable long (but scientifically accurate for invertebrate creatures) lifespan and “endless” size growth, there should be some form of cap, hopefully?.

Feeler Worms: 15 “Seem fine-a-roo”

Vampire Fish: 60 ”This is strange a 5x2 creature should only have 20 members before starting racial trait adjustment.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:15:28 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 07:02:12 pm »

Spoiler: Submission (click to show/hide)

Might as well give a go, y'know.

Avanti!
Pages: [1] 2 3