Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Evolution 4: Panspermia  (Read 4495 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution 4: Panspermia
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 07:12:59 pm »

Hey Robo can I poke your head on some of your thoughts for the balancing of the racial traits?

Cleaners: 26 The Cleaners would have 66 population before Venom Resistance, that’s a significant decrease in population, is that intended?

White Ray: 4 I have fixed the problem, with a desire of improved velocity and acceleration when swimming.

Blood Minnow: 140. ”Seems Fine.”

Dragon Carp: 20 seems good. Though they're very likely to only make it a few hundred years (under normal conditions) before they will have difficulty sustaining themselves. ”Is it me or is this two traits at the price of one, ridiculous long (but scientifically accurate for invertebrate creatures) lifespan and “endless” population growth, there should be some form of cap, hopefully?.

Feeler Worms: 15 “Seem fine-a-roo”

Vampire Fish: 60 ”This is strange a 5x2 creature should only have 20 members before starting racial trait adjustment.

They eat each other when there are too many in a single area. And if any get big enough, they would typically form territories, which also leads to them fighting and subsequently eating the other, gaining new hunting grounds.

The first isn't an immediate issue with the sea being so large. The second only comes into effect when they get big enough to have territories. And the problem of long life requires they live long enough. Being long lived at least mean they can have enough generations be born, so it's a small number to start which will grow each year.

And yeah, they're the Carp climbing the waterfall and becoming a Dragon. Reason their pop is literally half what it would be. The small ecosystem is not well set given they will eat each other when there is not enough food in an area. Or during breeding season sometimes.. They don't really play nice together when they are the biggest fish in the area.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 08:41:05 pm »

Hey Robo can I poke your head on some of your thoughts for the balancing of the racial traits?

Cleaners: 26 The Cleaners would have 66 population before Venom Resistance, that’s a significant decrease in population, is that intended?

White Ray: 4 I have fixed the problem, with a desire of improved velocity and acceleration when swimming.

Blood Minnow: 140. ”Seems Fine.”

Dragon Carp: 20 seems good. Though they're very likely to only make it a few hundred years (under normal conditions) before they will have difficulty sustaining themselves. ”Is it me or is this two traits at the price of one, a... venerable long (but scientifically accurate for invertebrate creatures) lifespan and “endless” size growth, there should be some form of cap, hopefully?.

Feeler Worms: 15 “Seem fine-a-roo”

Vampire Fish: 60 ”This is strange a 5x2 creature should only have 20 members before starting racial trait adjustment.

What do you mean? I thought I did the math right?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 11:14:06 pm »

Vampire fish are much larger than most things, they would really only have 15 with that size. Sorry, I didn't check the math.

Cleaners. They went for some very big venom resistance, discussed over discord.

Dragon carp are going to have a problem sustaining themselves as they get older, they'll likely limit their own population.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 11:57:11 pm »

Vampire fish are much larger than most things, they would really only have 15 with that size. Sorry, I didn't check the math.

Cleaners. They went for some very big venom resistance, discussed over discord.

Dragon carp are going to have a problem sustaining themselves as they get older, they'll likely limit their own population.

Well...15, alright. At least I have actual prey in the dragon carp and the like and make in big enough batches hopefully.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 01:35:04 am »

How much population would spiked tentacles cost?

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 08:52:17 am »

venom resistance is expensive but worth it in the long run
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 11:05:17 am »

The IC is up: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174662.0

Feel free to read everyone's posts btw. Not all information about who eats who may have made it to from predator to prey and vice versa. I tried my best, but there is always a mess up somewhere.:P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:10:05 am by Roboson »

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 11:41:59 am »

right, i forgot to give them color. I'd say dark silver.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2019, 11:56:42 am »

Oh, I wasn’t thinking of color. I’d imagine they’d be whatever color the ground is, so brown to match the sea floor.(is the sea floor brown?)

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 12:47:08 pm »

Can i just say that i love how very well balanced this ecosystem is? No creature is without it's predators, every enviroment is used by some species and the predators and preys have extremely varied methods of attack and defense already. This is a very good starting point for an evo game.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 01:02:32 pm »

Additional Info:

With each turn new indigenous species will be added to flesh out the various ecosystems. Unlike player creatures, these won't be tracked very stringently and will likely only evolve given significant environmental and ecological pressure.

There are a few other nearby environments. Though it would likely be best if players stayed relatively nearby to eachother. Beyond the shallows there is the open ocean, which has little food resources beyond plankton near the surface. Beneath that is the abyss, which is a few hundred meters of lightless ocean and the sea floor. Methane pools and hydrothermal vents would likely exist here. In the other direction there's an estuary and swamp area, river system, and dry land. I'm probably going limit this to: The Shallows, The Depths for the moment, unless anyone has incredible interest in moving towards dry land.

If you're wondering, your Growth Limit Coefficient is basically short hand for how complex your organism is and how much food it takes for your population to grow. This increases based on size and complexity, which means that smaller simple organism will likely have larger populations.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:43 pm »

The Dragon Carp will probably develop toward a land/sea disposition then. By nature, they eat a lot, so they need larger hunting areas than merely the shallows.

That will be in a while though, and a major evolution to allow air-breathing to go with water-breathing.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 02:19:43 pm »

Would grown no spines at the top of my body be a small evolution? I think it is, but it’s good to check. I’m thinking the Small Eaters look similar to brittle stars with spines on the arms/tentacles. The evolution is adding spines to the body that isn’t tentscles

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2019, 03:06:58 pm »

Would grown no spines at the top of my body be a small evolution? I think it is, but it’s good to check. I’m thinking the Small Eaters look similar to brittle stars with spines on the arms/tentacles. The evolution is adding spines to the body that isn’t tentscles

I had a brown brittle star back when I had saltwater tank. I've basically been thinking of your guys like that, so I'm glad I wasn't far off.

It is an acceptable evolution. If anyone goes beyond what I think is doable in a turn, they'll just get an inbetween evolutionary state so don't worry about it too much.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2019, 03:08:35 pm »

Ok
Pages: 1 [2] 3