Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [IC] Eclipse (Always Open)  (Read 3644 times)

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
[IC] Eclipse (Always Open)
« on: September 11, 2019, 07:49:52 pm »

OOC

Shortly after dispatching a band of pirates from the Lliman border, the Eclipse finds herself anchored by an imperial military station. Things have been fairly routine since acquiring a body for the AI Kella, but this is the first chance the crew has truly had to rest.

Yet rest may not be in store for the weary vessel, as a Lliman delegate comes aboard bearing what will no doubt be another harrowing mission...

Angelica and Vixen

As had become the norm when meeting with their Lliman contact, Captain Matthews had asked Vixen along to serve as an intermediary. He knew she didn't enjoy the task, but they both knew that Llima expected her to show. Another norm was the lateness of the delegate. Admiral Theris was an older man and laid back as imperial officers went, even Vixen found it hard to dislike him, and part of being laid back was a lack of punctuality.

This made it odd when a pair of people materialized in the reception room at precisely the scheduled time, something that never would have happened with Admiral Theris. This short warning of the change was hardly enough to prepare Vixen for the new arrival. The first of the two she saw was Angelica, but Vixen barely had time to register her presence before the more significant member of the delegation introduced herself.

"Hello Captain, Sergeant Major." the tall woman said, her presence commanding attention, "I am Commodore Palla Trapp. I apologize for Admiral Theris's absence, he has recently fallen ill, I hope I can be of service in his place."

The Commodore's hair was dark blue and cut short with long bangs covering the right of her two red eyes. Vixen didn't need to look at her to know this, just hearing her elder sister's voice grate on her ears was enough for her to recognize who she was dealing with.

"That's certainly bad news, we wish the admiral well." Matthews offered his sympathies politely.

"I'll be sure to tell him that, thank you." Commodore Trapp said with a polite smile, one which Vixen was sure was fake, "But enough worry, Admiral Theris wouldn't approve of such negativity in his name. This is the pilot the admiral told you about, Sergeant Ree. She's talented but inexperienced, we hope she can learn much by working with you."

"Angelica, right?" Matthews extended his hand, "Captain Elijah Matthews, welcome to the Eclipse."

Cree

"The doctor will be in shortly." the nurse said as he left the exam room, leaving Cree alone to wait. Since they'd been so busy, Cree had managed to avoid getting himself checked. But now that there was finally some downtime, he would no longer be able to escape. It seemed pretty busy on his way over, so it would probably be a while before the doctor actually showed. That left him plenty of time to think about how he was going to explain his answers on the little questionnaire the nurse had him fill out.

Naomi, Rose, and Alezar

Sitting together in the mess hall wasn't too abnormal for these three. Though Alezar didn't get along with the other two nearly as well as they did with each other, they were fairly easy to be around and didn't seem to mind his presence, though there was never much significant bonding going on. Today was unique however, as a fourth man had requested to join them. Torin had yet to say anything, he was still angrily tearing at his food, but he had asked to sit with them with the intent of discussing something, so it was only a matter of time before he spoke up.

Without any warning, he stopped eating and spoke to Rose, "So, Rose, did you hear the news? Apparently some scientists in the Assembly have been taking Resanti apart and reverse engineered some of their cybernetics to be used on regular people, it's a pretty big breakthrough. I kinda shudder at the thought, but at the same time, the idea of using the Resanti's own technology to tear them apart sounds pretty satisfying. What do you think?"

Willard

Willard was hard at work trying to fix the Blaiddyd. The problem was, there wasn't anything wrong with it. Nothing obvious at least. He couldn't explain the issue, and had driven three different striker technicians near mad with his inability to tell them what he thought the issue was with his apparently pristine striker. But Willard had been flying with his partner for years upon years, and he knew when something was off. He could feel it in his bones, the problem was figuring out what his bones were feeling so he could get someone to fix it. There was one person he could ask, of course, but she would be pretty unhappy with him if he did so.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:07:25 pm by Takosher »
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: [IC] Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 07:56:16 pm »

Naomi looked between Torin and Rose curiously, though the only indicators of this were her modded ears perking up and the motion of her eyes; otherwise, she continued to eat her food at a measured pace as if nothing had happened at all. She kept her own thoughts about the matter to herself, for the moment. A conversation about the Resanti involving these two could be. . . volatile.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:23 pm »

Creeeeeeeeeee Daniels!!
Cree idly tapped the pen against his chin as he mulled over what was left of the Medical History forms. The basic stuff had been easy: Allergies? None that he was aware of. Any medications? Nope. Vaccinations? Whichever ones were needed to stave off the worst of the stuff floating about the galaxy. Any preexisting conditions? Again, none. Family history was... just left blank. Cree didn't even so much as fully read it before moving to the next section.

With those out of the way, the only thing left was the past injuries/surgeries section... and already, Cree had spent the better part of the time since the Nurse left him trying to get it complete.

"Hmmmm... I know I got shot over that Pirrak game on Raxos V...think one of the little bastards stabbed me too in the chaos. But was that before or after that other guy flipped the table and smashed my damn toe?" He marked another tally in the box under "shot" before moving on to one of the many other incidents from his life "Then there was the time that Korrasanti assassin almost strangled me in my sleep. Damn throat was sore for days after that mess...last time I'll ever set foot in that hell hole."

The more incidents he delved into, the more and more he realized that trying to document all of them was a lost cause. He hadn't gotten past his younger years, and already there was a long list extending down to the very edge of the page of the things he'd survived and gotten treatment for. For a few them, only doing so after enduring them for the hours spent looking before he could find a damn doc who he was confident wouldn't kill him via infection or try to harvest his organs while he was out.

"Hmmmmm...." He resumed tapping the pen, before tossing the forms and utensil onto the nearby table "Ya know what, I... think that's good enough for now. She's probably gonna have a lot of questions already."

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:33:35 pm by Stratos »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »

Rose had been cheerfully chatting with Naomi as normal, content to let Torin speak up in his own time - which he did during a lull in the conversation. Rose quickly shifted attention to the man and listened intently. Her expression seemed to darken pretty much the moment the Resanti came up, as it always did, but then brightened again. Rose gave a ferocious grin as Torin finished. "I get the fear, but I've got to say - nothing quite like throwing someone's own weapons back in their faces. As long as they're volunteers, at least. Been able to get anything working yet?" Giving normal people the kind of durability that resanti pilots had, or the kinds of weapons their troops had, certainly sounded good.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Swampellow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:46:12 pm »

Alezar
Alezar had been sitting a few seats away from Rose and Naomi, an ear turned towards their conversation but not really listening. He had glanced up when Torin sat down, but had gone back to eating. At least until Torin spoke up. While he didn’t harbor the same hatred for the Resanti that Torin or Rose did, he was still interested in their technology. A tingle went up his left side as he thought about modifying soldiers to use Resanti tech. He shifted his body more towards the conversation, looking towards the two, abstaining from commenting for now.

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 08:55:28 pm »

Angelica Ree

When she first got news about it, Angelica hadn't been too enthused about her reassignment to the Eclipse. Sure, it was a ship that Llima had been wanting to keep an eye on for a while, and the prospect of exploring the more distant stars was something Angelica had always wanted to do. But it didn't take long for her to notice the drawbacks of the reassignment. Namely, the paperwork involved with sending back reports (that was something she wasn't entirely good at)... And how she'd have to work closely with Vixen, which she had only heard rumors about prior to boarding the Drasian ship.

But, she got to come along with Commodore Trapp herself for the official transfer. So that was good enough, at least.

Once she had entered the room where the meeting would be taking place, Angelica had folded her hands behind her back, mostly to show the proper etiquette expected out of a Pilot of Llima. That etiquette and professionalism unfortunately didn't last long, since as soon as she came into the room, she made eye contact with who she could only assume was Vixen herself for the briefest moment, which caused her to pause for a brief moment before falling back into step with the Commodore. Rumors were something Angelica tried not to put any faith in, but when it came to Vixen, it didn't matter what rumors she had heard anyway, because that brief moment was enough to unnerve her... And she didn't have any reason why.

Thankfully, that was only for a moment. She could worry about any unease or other negative emotions later.

"That would be correct" Angelica replied once Elijah had greeted her, stepping forward to shake the Captain's hand herself, "I'm looking forward to working alongside you Captain Matthews" she added before stepping back and taking her place next to the Commodore once again. The compliment she had gotten from Trapp was something that made Angelica almost giddy with happiness, mostly because she had been acknowledge as talented by someone in a higher position than her.

... Sure, she had also been called inexperienced, but that was something she could remedy with this debatable reassignment.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:08:41 pm by GodofGamingRWBY »
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 09:46:35 pm »

Rose certainly seemed eager about the idea of that, even if it was only due to the opportunity for more destruction of the Resanti. "I would be cautious. These are a great opportunity, yes, but I hope the people responsible fully understand what they are dealing with." She took another small bite, swallowing it before continuing. "If we cracked Resanti technology, there is nothing that says the Resanti could not crack ours."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 09:52:53 pm »

Cree

A few minutes after Cree finished with his numerous injuries, Skylar entered the room with a jovial, "Hello Mr. Daniels!" and a happy wave. the doctor picked up the questionnaire but didn't look at it immediately, instead continuing to talk, "I was starting to think you were avoiding me. I know we've been busy fighting, but you still should have come in sooner, your health is important. Not just for you, but for the people who rely on you. And also me, because I'm your doctor now, and it makes me worry. I'd have offered you the choice of another physician in case I made you uncomfortable, but it's protocol that all pilots be checked by the chief of medicine, which is me. It's actually pretty funny, I wasn't going to be a doctor at all, I wanted to join internal investigations. Stephanie told me I was too nice for that, and she was totally right. Like, what was I thinking? Looking back I can't even remember why I wanted that, it's got to be such a dark job. Medicine can be pretty dark too though, one time I had a guy who-" Skylar's rambling was suddenly cut short when the doctor finally took a look at the paper in her hand. Completely silent, Skylar went over to the computer terminal and started typing rapidly, glancing at the little packet every so often.

Once finished, Skylar's attention was returned to Cree. "I assume that's nowhere near everything?" the question wasn't accusatory, just concerned, "Get your clothes off and lay down, I need to check that whatever backwater surgeons you've got on speed dial did their jobs right. And if they got anything wrong you're out of the cockpit until I get it fixed, no arguments." It was an unusually serious tone for the talkative doctor, one Cree had never heard before, and one which told him it was best not to argue.

Naomi, Rose, and Alezar

Torin shook his head at Rose's question, "I guess they've been able to make some advanced prosthetics, but nothing actually useful for fighting yet. It seems like most of the advanced stuff the Resanti can do is tied into this brain uplink thing and the people working on this haven't figured out how to make that without killing someone first. Apparently not being able to get rid of that is one of the big obstacles in properly rehabilitating former Resanti. Supposedly we can disable the part that connects them to the collective, but since we don't really know how it works, there's always the risk they could be re-absorbed."
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 10:15:23 pm »

"I think we may be better served spending our resources on biological augmentation." She polished off the remainder of her plate, which was actually quite large; increased performance did come with increased calorie use, after all. Naomi set her utensils on the plate neatly, then continued. "There is also the fact that we rarely use our most powerful tools for augmenting a human being."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:43:36 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 11:39:59 pm »

Cree
"Ahhhhhh shit..." Cree silently cursed under his breath, rubbing the back of his neck "Uh...no. Not at all kiddo. This probably isn't necessary ya know- I learned early to get real picky about who gets to cut into me..."

Nonetheless he complied and began the awkward process of stripping down to his skivvies in front of a woman young enough to be his daughter. First came the vest, then the shirt. With every button Cree undid it unveiled more and more of the dozens upon dozens of scars marring his torso.  Ragged ones made from obviously improvised blades extended down the back of his arms, their position strongly suggesting they'd been defensive wounds. They seemed to be the oldest, given how faded they were. Various more covered his chest, gut, and sides, some of them cleaner, made by higher end weaponry, all varying in how easily visible they were. Some of them long and thin, suggesting old lacerations, while the shorter, wider ones had obviously been the sites of various stabbings. A few resembled pockmarks- it wasn't too hard for a trained medical professional like Skylar to immediately identify them as ballistic or energy related injuries. Several of these dotted his shoulders and chest, with one particularly large one near his gut, and another just shy of his liver.
    The horrible display of mutilated and marred flesh continued as he took off his slacks. There were considerably less scaring on his legs than his torso, but he still had a fair few haphazardly scattered down their lengths. He finally got to his socks and boots, and as he removed them Skylar would catch just the quickest glimpse of a very large, circular scar right over his Achilles, one which was even fainter than the defensive injuries on his arms. An identical one adorned his opposite Achilles.

Finally, after what seemed like a long and painful eternity, Cree was done. Without skipping a beat he turned and got onto the examination table. And as he did, Skylar would see the myriad of scar tissue crisscrossing the entirety of his back from shoulder to hip in both directions.

He lay down without a word and stared at the sterile white of the clinic's lights, waiting for the inevitable slew of questions this many injuries on a living body were sure to warrant.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:44:36 am by Stratos »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 03:09:38 am »

Willard

Willard takes a step back from his Striker and wipes the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. This was the third time he'd swept the thing from the cockpit to its feet without finding the damn problem with it. But he just felt that there was something the matter, and his intuition had never been wrong about his Striker before. Still, he couldn't keep bashing his head into it and expect something to change. He'd go senile before he managed to figure out whatever the problem was. And he only knew of one person who'd definitely be able to help...

Several minutes later Willard had changed out of his working clothes and was making his way to the engineering department with his hands in his pockets. He figured he had until he got through the door to work out how the hell he was supposed to ask Elyn for her help and was making the most of it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:18:18 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 08:03:48 am »

"I don't think there's much for them to crack in a useful way, compared to what happens if we figure out how they work." Rose said, before the comment about not much progress came up. Rose was quiet for a bit, continuing to eat her food as she thought that over. "I'm sure the labcoats will figure out how to get the stuff working soon enough. Humans are smart; we'll manage it."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 10:53:51 am »

PTW

Swampellow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 05:33:10 pm »

Alezar

Alezar let out a sigh internally. He shouldn’t have been surprised Naomi would be in favor of biomodding. He somewhat turned himself back away from the conversation before saying to the three others “Sure humans are smart sometimes. But there are some things we just aren’t capable of doing, nor should be doing." pausing for a moment before continuing, "Using their own tech against them is the best idea that any of you have brought up.”

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 08:48:00 pm »

"I'm not saying it's a bad idea. Just that when you play with fire, you should be prepared for what could follow." She watched Alezar as she spoke. She wasn't certain what the man thought of her, but she also wasn't blind to the man's reaction when she voiced her opinion. It was doubtless colored by the modifications she outwardly possessed, a thought which nearly made Naomi sigh herself. She was used to it, at this point, but the pilot supposed that was something she would be dealing with until the day she died.
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: [1] 2 3