Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plants growing things besides fruit?  (Read 2795 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: Plants growing things besides fruit?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 01:15:28 pm »

Vermin don't eat everything at the same time afaik, so you could manipulate how hard a tree is to grow by varying the time. It's not like planting seeds always takes either.

If you have 200 apricot seeds from already-grown apricot trees, this is mostly about producing wood or making parks, but there is an use case for foreign seeds: there's roughly 20% chance of a given (booze) plant not appearing in desired biome in my experience; so you can have tropical forest without any mangoes (or caverns without nethercap). Then there is a point in getting mangoes from caravans/adventurers/migrants from your previous forts.

80% of the time, it's going to be petty limited, yeah. Even if you have air biome, trees need soil walls underneath, so.

Now, my initial thought was that it'd be more comfortable than a dummy workshop (as you would want to place more than one), able to support placement via stockpile. But dwarves like storing seeds in bags. So you'd have to dump them out and scatter them via bridge or minecart, or not have bags for them.

Yeah the biggest issue is that this method would require some finagling on player part. I need to make a script that allows mod makers do small stuff like this easier - e.g. dwarf goes to spot X (selected from menu somehow) and does Y. It might involve getting items for the "job". This way we could use vanilla DF logic for getting all the requirements.
Pages: 1 [2]