Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tabletop-maps to DF: The Dwarven City of "Brazenthrone"  (Read 1254 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
tabletop-maps to DF: The Dwarven City of "Brazenthrone"
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:24:12 am »

So on my unending search for architectural inspiration, i came along this beauty:

http://www.milbysmaps.com/brazenthrone/

and i did the maths:
 it would definitely fit into a 16x16 embark
(maybe even into a 12x16 if you crop the long entryway or a 12x12 if cropping the areas without detailed plans available)
i guess we got a new MEGAPROJECT! where can i get a good PC for free?

edit: tried 16x16 and upon hittin embark DF froze and i had to kill the process.
trying 12x12 next.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:59:23 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: tabletop-maps to DF: The Dwarven City of "Brazenthrone"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 02:39:25 pm »

12x12 qould technically work (60fps on a long load).

technical question: can i use "embark everywhere" to make overlapping forts? that'd solve my prob.
i'd just create a fort of 5x5 to 6x6 overlapping with each other's neighbors and have 16 overlapping sections of the city.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 06:54:58 am »

Embark Everywhere means everywhere. You can embark in the middle of the sea if you want.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 07:42:56 am »

technical question: can i use "embark everywhere" to make overlapping forts? that'd solve my prob.
You might risk some serious issues, especially in adventure mode. I'm pretty sure the overlapping area won't even contain the changes from the other forts and you'll have to build it multiple times.

It might be better to just have the embarks edge-to-edge and use dfhack to construct right up to the map edge.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:52:56 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 09:00:41 am »

You might risk some serious issues, especially in adventure mode. I'm pretty sure the overlapping area won't even contain the changes from the other forts and you'll have to build it multiple times.

It might be better to just have the embarks edge-to-edge and use dfhack to construct right up to the map edge.
what's the console command for that?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 12:19:12 am »

what's the console command for that?
I think tiletypes might work.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?