Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Twilight Cults: Keepers of The Dark Thread  (Read 1395 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Twilight Cults: Keepers of The Dark Thread
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:50:20 pm »

Turn One, Research Phase, New Moon

Twilight City, a town rich with lore, treasure, and power unlike any mere man could dream of. No, men can not dream dreams as dark and twisted as the terrors contained within. Yet still, they try.

The Keepers of the Dark are neither old nor well connected, yet, this comes with the benefit of being rather unknown to most who would fall prey to their plans. A group of like-minded individuals, thieves for the most part, swindlers for the rest, they have recently taken control of half of the Silver Slums. This has rather angered the Jade Dragon, an equally shady, though much more flashy and violent street gang in the area. A month or so ago a hit a museum went south because a group named the Aboleth Association tipped off the authorities. Ever since, there has been nothing but war between you and those prissy mansion mooks!

Spoiler: Starting Cult Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Equipment (click to show/hide)

Your collective experience and general listening to the rumors of back alleys, bars, and bazaars has given you some insight into a few potential marks.

Spoiler: Information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quests (click to show/hide)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight Cults: Keepers of The Dark Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 12:44:58 am »

Joining this side.
I say we join the expedition and just keep any major discoveries for ourselves.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 01:59:14 am »

Ptw

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 03:51:25 am »

obviously on this side, since I suggested it.
we do need to select a leader for tie-breaking purposes.

I am for joining the expedition, but our focus should be on keeping major cult-related discoveries for ourselves. Other, less focused discoveries should still be released to the public/our good friend rob.

Then there’s the matter of the Jade dragon. he is flashy, and currently a thorn in our side, but he could become very useful due to his methods. I have little doubt that his gang has a large number of bruisers which would be ideal for securing other parts of town and attacking our rival.

the other leads will have to sit while we deal with these two urgent matters.

Research: Hand to hand training
Our biggest issue is that we are currently reliant on firearms to provide our offensive capabilities. the sooner we can train our night walkers and other would-be collectors to defend themselves, the better a chance we stand at holding our own against the AA and the JD.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:45:37 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 04:03:25 am »

Welcome brothers and sisters of the cult.

To provide counterpoint to the suggestion of hand to hand training, would it not be more prudent to provide our acolytes with knives and daggers to bolster their close quarters capabilities?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 04:36:32 am »

Taricus, Two things: One, we are not actually a cult, but rather a group of collectors for now.
Two, we have something far superior at the moment: Firearms. the only problem is we only have three of them, and each one is different.
besides, if we train our recruits to defend themselves properly, we can then transition into making bruisers of our own should The jade dragon decide we’re not worth allying with.
Additionally, if our night walkers become adept with hand to hand, we could turn them into assassins and use them for eliminating the more powerful cultists.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:38:25 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 04:46:01 am »

A knife would be far more potent than fists though, whilst allowing our Nightwalkers to still be capable assassins.

Either that, or we double down on the firearms and try to get a stable supply of both weapon and ammunition.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 05:32:18 am »

Trust me, knives will be a follow up, but first we need to make sure they don’t become helpless if they get disarmed somehow.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 06:19:17 am »

Fair point. Okay, you've got me convinced.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 01:15:21 pm »

Plus, martial arts doesn't really cost anything besides training time.
My Power armor arms race

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 09:26:20 am »

Hello my fellows secret knowers
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 11:43:36 am »

A member of your cult has become overshadowed by a twisted melancholy. A strange lingering of forces unknown haunt the corners of their eyes, small whispers in their peripheral vision, a smooth wet feeling behind the eyes. In the days following their condition worsens, and paranoia settles in their heart. Encounters with the Dark bubble to surface, dredged from their memories into the forefront of their mind by macabre hooks and slinking tethers. Perhaps embellished by their strange affliction or perhaps their experience is haunting enough without hyperbole, your acolyte sees something monsterous through darting eyes glazed and dull with sickness. What horrors do they see?

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:53 pm »

Turn 1 Action Phase, Waning Half

Research: Hand-to-Hand Combat Training (Mild Failure: 38)
The back streets of the Silver Slums are not exactly a place anyone would want to be. The streets are littered with garbage, and the denizens are no better. Being able to protect yourself in the dead-end alleys, narrow back-channels, and down in the somehow cleaner than the streets sewers was the first priority of the Keepers.

Over the course of the next few weeks, all members of the Keepers engaged in a hand to hand training regiment, that, in theory, was fairly successful. Defacto leader until one can be elected, Dustan Hache, took a hands on approach to training.

Sparing between the members of the group was a daily requirement, and while this was decent for the basics, there is no replacement for real world experience. Members of the organization were tasked with going out into the field and gaining some real experience.

For the most part this went well. Picking fights with drunks, drug addicts, and the occasional wanderer provided trainees experience they couldn't get fighting eachother.

While all members have learned some best-practices, relationships with the area have decreased. In particular, a rather invisible organization which sell drugs in the area, often refered to as The Gloom, has become hostile now that it's workers and clientele are less safe in the area.

All units permanently gain a +1 to close combat rolls.

Hand-to-Hand Training action now available to units.

Drug related activity in the Silver Slums decreases.
The Gloom becomes hostile to the Keepers.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 10:02:12 am »

my current suggested plan of action is this:
Infiltrate the expedition:
obviously Martin Mortimer has something big in store. lets have 3 acolytes and 2 night walkers (equipped with our only hunting rifle and shotgun respectively) join the expedition as hired workmen and guards. They’ll make sure that things go off without too many problems, and also keep an eye out for any artifacts that might contain eldritch lore. If all goes well for them, we’ll pinch a few occult pieces and let mortimer have the rest.

Eastern docks convoy raid scope-out:
 our remaining member will spy on the armored convoy in hopes of finding some funds to use for our operations and other plans. the night walker will come equipped with the pistol, in case of ambush or other emergency.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:07:24 pm by Dustan Hache »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 03:20:59 pm »

my current suggested plan of action is this:
Infiltrate the expedition:
obviously Martin Mortimer has something big in store. lets have 1 acolyte and 1 night walker (equipped with our only pistol) join the expedition as hired workmen and guards. They’ll make sure that things go off without too many problems, and also keep an eye out for any artifacts that might contain eldritch lore. If all goes well for them, we’ll pinch a few occult pieces and let mortimer have the rest.

Eastern docks convoy raid:
 our remaining four members will hit the armored convoy in hopes of finding some funds to use for our operations and other plans. the two night walkers will come equipped with a the hunting rifle and the shotgun, while the acolytes do the heavy lifting provided we get anything of value.
I support this line of action. Gives us a good mix of possible rewards.
My Power armor arms race
Pages: [1] 2