Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats a good, stable graphics pack/launcher for a long term fort?  (Read 1653 times)

LennyTheRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just retiring my fourth fortress due to crashing issues.  Even after reducing my max dwarves below 100 and limiting visitors and other complex things, the game starts crashing four or five years in and crashes multiple times per season.

Currently im using the LNP 0.44.12-r06 and DF 44.12, with the Meph+Vordak(lite)32x graphics pack.  I really like the meph graphics in the LNP as opposed to the ones that come with Mephs launcher that I tried, and I'd prefer to keep them.  I've tried many combinations of settings and different things but the crash problem doesn't seem solvable.  At this point, I'd switch to ASCII if it would let the game actually run. 

I would definitely prefer to have some kind of decent tileset though, so if anyone has experience with a very stable version of the game that they have used I'd appreciate a recommendation.  I'd also really like to keep the functionality of the ingame dwarf-therapist like screen that comes with the LNP but I assume that is a common feature of DFHack.

I do seasonal autosaves and I even save manually pretty frequently but even so I have lost countless hours of work and decision making due to random crashes with no apparent cause.

Any help or advice is appreciated.  This is one of my favorite games now, and the constant headache and heartache due to the crashes is really bumming me out.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:24:41 pm by LennyTheRed »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats a good, stable graphics pack/launcher for a long term fort?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 05:16:54 pm »

While I may be wrong, it doesn't sound like the LNP or your choice of graphics/tilesets are the issue.

I suspect there is something else going on/causing the crashing, as I've never personally seen what you're describing, even with forts that have hundreds over dwarves over dozens of years.
Is there a chance you're sending raids to other locations?

LennyTheRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 07:44:56 pm »

Nope, no raids sent except on one of the forts.  It didn't seem to be tied to any event that I could figure out either.  After 5 or 6 years, the crashing would start and would get more frequent as the years went on.  I can't think of anything unusual about my computer/OS or my setup of DF that is especially odd or different.

I'm trying the meph launcher now, I know it contains some bug fixes.  Hopefully it is more stable.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 01:45:12 am »

Could be TWBT if you've got multi-z rendering enabled.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:26:27 am »

A full Meph set is more of a mod, to the extent that you cannot just delete old stuff and paste in new but require a world regen to get everything. I recall one bug report having issues with inconsistent beak dog bodypart numbers as well.

But nominally, haven't really heard of any graphics set or launcher being more stable than another.

The advice goes to check each your specific weapon/helmet/etc. lists in the military screen; that helps show one of the crash bugs. If they're showing things that are inappropriate (like books), it's definitely that.

It may be that it might be linked to world events. If it is about something entering the map, could test against a predictable crash point if you could hold it off by walling off all map edges top to bottom with gui/liquids.

LennyTheRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 04:13:23 pm »

A full Meph set is more of a mod, to the extent that you cannot just delete old stuff and paste in new but require a world regen to get everything. I recall one bug report having issues with inconsistent beak dog bodypart numbers as well.

But nominally, haven't really heard of any graphics set or launcher being more stable than another.

The advice goes to check each your specific weapon/helmet/etc. lists in the military screen; that helps show one of the crash bugs. If they're showing things that are inappropriate (like books), it's definitely that.

It may be that it might be linked to world events. If it is about something entering the map, could test against a predictable crash point if you could hold it off by walling off all map edges top to bottom with gui/liquids.

Interesting, I'll try some of that out if it turns out that my problems crop up again.  I'm especially interested in walling off with liquids which I had never considered.  I had always had a hunch that the crashing was related a unit entering the map but other than disallowing visitors I wasn't really sure what to do about it.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 07:58:11 am »

in fortress mode, i've found that turning off autobutcher and dwarfvet (dfhack plugins, on by default in LNP??) drastically reduced the frequency of random crashes

in adventure mode, ditching twbt is pretty much mandatory, so nowadays i play with the CLA 18px graphics, print mode: standard and true type: no in both modes, because it's easier to just learn one tileset and stick with it