Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Trading-Card-Game - THREAD B - 7 decks made!  (Read 6602 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Trading-Card-Game - THREAD B - 7 decks made!
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 09:04:08 pm »

(no, I made sure I drew)

I draw a card and play Biodiversity. I then use it to play two Long Grasses.

Spoiler: Current Status (click to show/hide)
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 09:18:40 pm »

VS Iridium64

I'll draw a card...

As you don't have any attackers in play, I will now play Vengeful Spirit from my discard pile!
(It may seem like an unbeatable card at a glance, but playing it counts as playing my card for the turn and its stats are a bit below the baseline)

Endless Horde attacks the first Long Grass to deal 1 damage to it.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 09:23:49 pm »

Hold on. When you forgot to draw, you listed yourself as having 5 cards. This means you should have had 6 cards at that point.

Then on the next turn you should have had 6 cards at the end of the turn since you would have drawn one and played one. You only listed yourself as having 5.

Then you would have drawn 1 and played 3 on the most recent turn. Now you should have 4 cards in your hand but you list your card count as 3!
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 09:26:38 pm »

(I'll just draw an extra card this turn, then.)

I play Biodiversity again. This time I use it to play a Long Grass and a Squirrel. I use the Squirrel to drop an Acorn.

Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:32 pm »

VS Iridium64

I'll draw a card. And oh boy what a card this is!

I play Deathknight! Since you have 5 cards in play, it costs 0 stars!
(Designed for dealing with mobs of enemies when I lost control of the field, the deathknight is an absolute horror if you have a lot of low value cards in play. I don't know how you can counter this one)

I'll attack Squirrel with my Endless Horde. The squirrel is defeated and my horde now has 1 heart.
Vengeful Spirit attacks the first Long Grass to destroy it!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 09:59:14 pm »

Yeah, I don't know how to counter that either.

I play a Verdant Growth, using it to play a Rabbit, and use the Rabbit to consume two Long Grasses.

Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 10:13:43 pm »

VS Iridium64

I suspect you got a bad opening hand. I'll also mention that if you played three Long Grass cards, one of which was destroyed by my cards and the rabbit ate two, then you wouldn't still have one in play.

I'll draw a card... and I'll wait to play a card this time.

Endless Horde attacks the Rabbit, both are destroyed.
A copy of Endless Horde is added to my hand and I gain 1 star.

I'll then attack you directly with Deathknight and Vengeful Spirit to deal 5 and 3 damage!
(Let me know if I am wrong about the Long Grass and I'll fix my action. As a reminder, face down cards cannot stop me from attacking you)

Now I will play Traitor in Command!

When I play this card I gain 1 star. And this powerful 4/8 card... Is now on YOUR side of the field under your control! Make sure you read its effect carefully as its one of the most complex effects in the game. Most notably, it makes it so that instead of drawing from your deck at the start of your turn, you draw one of the five specified cards randomly as long as it is in play. See the spoiler to see what you will draw in place of your normal cards. (If you draw from card effects, those use your normal cards. This only applies to the card you draw at the START of the turn)

Edit: (One last thing I'll point out. In this thread cards cannot attack on the same round they are played. This means you cannot attack with that card until your next turn)

Spoiler: The Five Cards (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:18:45 pm by Supernerd »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 10:18:19 pm »

I don't think you destroyed the grass. The Vengeful Spirit has three damage and the grass had four health.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 10:19:11 pm »

Ah. The grass was also hit by an Endless Horde, which lowered it to 3 hearts. That's why it was destroyed. I probably should have bolded that.
(On the turn I played the Vengeful Spirit)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:33:06 pm by Supernerd »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:44 pm »

I think he should be able to attack on this coming turn since the card came into his possession on your turn.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 11:26:17 pm »

In my thread that would be the case. In this thread, cards cannot be played on the same round that they are played as opposed to not on the same turn. I think the original intention of this was so that cards that are stolen cannot attack immediately.

Looking at the first post, exactly how this works is not clearly defined. notquitethere! We require clarifications.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2019, 11:41:11 pm »

That is... interesting.
Notquitethere, mind sharing the logic for that? I can't see why the alteration.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2019, 02:32:41 am »

My rationale for changing the rule was to to clarify theft rules and make them slightly less dangerous-- but I realise I may have made things more complicated than it needed to be, as it doesn't really work with cards like Traitor.

The expected behaviour in my head was like in Magic where the cards are all untapped at the beginning of your turn: which would mean they're still tapped when stolen,  but untapped and ready to use if someone gave you a card. I realise though that we don't have a tapping mechanic and in any case, that's not exactly what I wrote when wording the rule. (So apologies for confusion).

If folk prefer we can revert to the original version of attacking rules which has the benefit of clarity. My preference would be for Traitor to be usable on the turn after it is given.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2019, 02:53:45 am »

So having reread the rule as written, I think actually it does support my intention if I clarify one of the words. The word 'player'was ambiguous as could refer to either the player who owns the card, or the player who played the card (usually but not always the same person).

Cards ordinarily cannot attack on the same turn they are played, and can only begin to attack after their owner has begun a new turn

As such, my ruling is Traitor can attack this turn.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:37 am »

I suppose we could remove ambiguity by defining a "round" as the collection of each player's turn, then saying that a new card can't attack for a full round. Such a change may have to apply between games though.

Segueing from the other thread, maybe we could use that to nerf the Scavenger Bot, so that it only applies once per round instead of once per turn?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8