Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Absolutely Absurd Abductee Arms Race: SDRB Thread (Turn 4 Revision Phase)  (Read 7230 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Absolutely Absurd Abductee Arms Race: SDRB Thread (Turn 3 Design Phase)
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2019, 02:51:49 pm »

Given that if we can get one more ore the STAR-Transverse should go down an expense level, what I'd like to do with one of the designs is something to get more ore.

Anyway, here's a trio of ideas.

STAR-Earthmover
Based on the base chassi of the STAR-Transverse, the STAR-Earthmover is not designed for either cargo transport or defense. Instead it's designed to move earth, allowing for both enhanced mining and enhanced field construction capacity. With two modular attachment points, one in front and one behinc, the STAR-Earthmover can be outfited with a variety of helpful tools, such as a giant plow for moving snow, a dozer blade for moving snow and earth and rock, an excavator bucket arm for excavating stuff mountable either in front or on the back as a Backhoe loader, a road grader for, you know, making roads, or a Trencher for grinding through annoying rocks in the middle of your soon to be road, or even a forklift for, you know, lifting stuff up.

All in all the STAR-Earthmover is a valuable and flexible earthmoving and engineering vehicle, or at least will be as soon as it's done being designed.

Historical Rifle Study Program
It's a fact that our current rifle is, to put it politely, less then optimal. Less politely put it's pretty shitty. Still, it sufficed for the earlier years of our settlement... but with conflict with the other colonies looming it may not suffice much longer. And even beyond that, while once we had to deal with scrap and whatever we could find, we now have a proper industrial base. As such, we no longer will need to cobble together whatever we can find to make our rifles. Thus, the Historical Rifle Study Program was formed, to find anyone who know about rifles and other long guns from the Earth Before, get them to pool their knowledge, and from that knowledge design a proper assault rifle for the army. This new rifle will be a finished and polished design, using parts specifically built for it instead of whatever we could find, use proper quality control, and generally be a huge step up over our current pieces of crap.

Electric Smelter
Power is no longer a scarce resource for us. Between proper power plants and our new model electrical power cells, we are currently at no risk of lacking electricity. We are at risk of not having enough Ore. With the proper equipment, it is possible to use electricity to smelt base ore into useful refined materials at a far more efficient rate then our current efforts. As such, it wasn't long after we had a proper power network set up then the first engineer turned in a design for an Electrical Smelter. Skipping over using coal or oil to smelt metal, an Electrical Smelter applied heat directly through the use of electricity, allowing for easy hassle free smelting as long as you have enough power. And with our new power grid, power is not something we're lacking. Between Induction Furnaces, old fashioned Electric Arc Furnaces, and even Vacuum induction melting, the future looks profitable and ore filled. As soon as we actually give into the requests to design and build some at least.

I don't really find the Skell attractive honestly, it feels over-complicated and over-sized, so I don't think I'm going to vote for it.

Quote from: Votebox
Base Light Skell: (1) TricMagic
Do the Base Light Skell Project on it's own: (0)
Split the Base Light Skell Project into two Designs, the Skell-Frame Engineering Team, and the NTS UP Team: (1) TricMagic
Electric Smelter: (1) Happerry
Historical Rifle Study Program: (0)
STAR-Earthmover: (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2019, 02:55:19 pm »

... Happerry, we already have a way to reduce the cost. The MiP can give us either 1 free Ore or 1 free Oil. And we can change it with a strategy action.

Meanwhile, our Pulse Pistol is more than capable of knocking people out of the fight, with great accuracy and a lot of charges.

Over-complicated for a mecha. Coming down to it, it is a mecha with a neural interface control system. The Skell Design is more for a base model that will allow us to design and deploy heavy weapons with ease, as well as satisfying the tank-class of units with something they can't match easily.

Over-sized it is not. It's meant to be a tank-level option. In vehicle mode, it does fall close to that size.

At the moment, it's meant to fill the whole "HEAVY Hitter" we are missing in our starting loadout. As well, the rolling system does tend to reward trendsetting to a degree.

Do the Base Light Skell Project on it's own: (1) TricMagic(IF RNGsus)
Split the Base Light Skell Project into two Designs, the Skell-Frame Engineering Team, and the NTS UP Team: (1) TricMagic

Electric Smelter: (1) Happerry
Historical Rifle Study Program: (0)

It should be noted we use coal/oil for that electricity, so Electric Smelter doesn't really seem doable. The HRS Program doesn't actually say anything about specs of a rifle. The Earthmover is a pure Ore collection design, and fine as is.

It is important to note what the other side likely has, with Sujia having their armored transports. Likewise with terrain, an earthmover won't prove easy to move through mountains, and pointless above the abyss. The Skell is an idea that allows us a lot of flexibility now and into the future, and even just the work on the neural interface cockpit is usable and easy to do, even if the Skell itself falls through. And if both approach any level of usability, that design can be turned into an excavator design with ease, solving most of it's own ore cost.

We have quite a bit of flexibility with the extra ore/oil, so we need something that can take advantage of that boon. The Skell will prove as such now and into the future.

Let me go over my thought processes.

UPS is effectively creating a way to greatly reduce the number of electronics needed to control something like a jet. That same thought process is what goes into the Skell. Normally, programming all that movement would be difficult, but using BCS makes it easy. It also boosts our understanding of the BCS, and will help out with contacting other races and allying ourselves with them, likely receiving bonuses.

The Skell design is a base, meant to be used for a number of things, from combat to support. Moreover, it's weapons loadout are universal. Setting up a piece of artillery would be simple with the basics of what makes a Skell. We can literrally use them for anything so long design the gear. A railgun, easy. Mining Laser, easy and turned to offensive purposes. Missiles, easy, a proper team can fire a bunch fairly quickly with the right support. AA, easy. Though all described would take up the back weapon slot, it offers an ease of deployment not found in conventional vehicles. Bad terrain can't stop them.

It should also be noted that a mecha would be difficult regardless, hence why it is split into two designs. But Below Average still offers everything in the design, which leads to experience in that field. Anything above that would icing.

That, and we really do need a heavy hitter. The Skell would make taking on emplacements fairly simple, as it's not something a regular gun can deal with.

7 is Poor Performance.. Can't expect it to stand up to the competition, but it's functional. ... We have no competition in that area, and it's meant to be a prototype in the first place. Buggy Mess wuld give us a buggy mess. But it still kinda works. And gives us a viable prototype. We can just sort it out when designing a weapons loadout, or use a revision to fix the issues.

I think the difficulty at the highest is 60% of it working, 40% that it fails. That is on a -4 modifier.

8 or 9 (15%): Below Average. You might find this kind of quality in a Red Apple or Giant Tiger store. Maybe even Walmart, on a bad day. Honestly, it's not bad but you could do better.
10 to 12 (28%): Average. Pretty much what you asked for.
13 or 14 (15%): Above Average. It's better than what you were looking for, but not by much.

It helps that average is actually 6 numbers out of 20. Another 6 for any result above that. Though the actually result on a -4 is 50/50, a coin flip. We do have MIP however, and the universal sockets. As such, -2 is more likely. 12/20

This is based on a single die though. The mix of two die actually would change the numbers slightly. So I think the average numbers would be a bit higher.

Point is, we have 4 designs and 4 revisions left. The Skell is meant to be the tank, and meant to last for a long time to come. So a chance to grab something that the competetion simply isn't going to have an answer to. Note I also have an idea for a shield module for them, which would effectively remove traditional missiles/RPGs from being threats. The Skell's size lends itself to being a good base to carry them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 04:27:39 pm by TricMagic »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2019, 08:05:04 pm »

... Happerry, we already have a way to reduce the cost. The MiP can give us either 1 free Ore or 1 free Oil. And we can change it with a strategy action.
...Oh, I see where I made the mistake. I thought we were already getting an oil from it so needed another ore from somewhere else to get the price down enough to knock it down another level, but that's just from getting TC capability.

Meanwhile, our Pulse Pistol is more than capable of knocking people out of the fight, with great accuracy and a lot of charges.
It's a pistol. It's short to medium range. Our rifles are medium to long range. Having a pistol does not mean we can not also use a rifle.

Over-complicated for a mecha. Coming down to it, it is a mecha with a neural interface control system. The Skell Design is more for a base model that will allow us to design and deploy heavy weapons with ease, as well as satisfying the tank-class of units with something they can't match easily.

Over-sized it is not. It's meant to be a tank-level option. In vehicle mode, it does fall close to that size.

At the moment, it's meant to fill the whole "HEAVY Hitter" we are missing in our starting loadout. As well, the rolling system does tend to reward trendsetting to a degree.
Yes, it's a mecha with a mind link thingy. I'm not sure why you felt that had to be repeated, because I never said it was something else. It's still an over-complicated giant thingy because we're trying to invent a '30 to 40 feet tall' mecha, make it transform, let it still transform even if it's had a limb blown off, use advance metals for it when we're still at basic assembly line construction methods, claim 'Fuel cost is negligible outside of combat', and other things beyond. The only reason I don't consider it completely impossible is because some work has been done on mind machine linkage already, but even so, this is going to be a high difficulty project when we already have a base tank chassi we can work from to get an armored combat vehicle with far less effort and risk.

This is beyond, even, how you expect a 30 to 40 foot tall mecha to transform into a cycle that's just generic vehicle size instead of being the over-sized target that, you know, it actually is.

I'm not really sure what you mean about trend setting, because the roll system might not be a generic 2d6 or 2d4 but the only unusual thing in it is the 2d10 dice, not how rolls work. We don't get any special advantage for being the first or only side to do something, and if you mean 'build on what we already have', that's how all arms races works and that's not a reward for trend setting, it's a reward for not being bugshit crazy.

Even if all those other things weren't true, it's still a blatant copy paste of another franchise's stuff, which... I mean, come on. This is an arms race, not a copy paste race.

It is important to note what the other side likely has, with Sujia having their armored transports. Likewise with terrain, an earthmover won't prove easy to move through mountains, and pointless above the abyss. The Skell is an idea that allows us a lot of flexibility now and into the future, and even just the work on the neural interface cockpit is usable and easy to do, even if the Skell itself falls through. And if both approach any level of usability, that design can be turned into an excavator design with ease, solving most of it's own ore cost.

We have quite a bit of flexibility with the extra ore/oil, so we need something that can take advantage of that boon. The Skell will prove as such now and into the future.
Where can we see what the other side has without cheating by looking in their threads? or are you trying to guess from posted lore? Because if you're going from posted lore 'they have vehicles' is an essentially meaningless point. Everyone has vehicles, we have vehicles, and it can be generally assumed that 'put armor and a weapon on it' is not a rare stroke of thought.

Beyond that issue, an Earthmover is going to be no more difficult then a giant mecha to move through the mountain, because they can literally dig their own paths if needed while a 30/40-foot tall mecha is going to have a lot less viable paths then a normal vehicle and is going to be at risk of being knocked over a lot more easily then something with a lower center of gravity. Nor do I consider giant mecha easier to put across a bridge then a normal vehicle sized... well, vehicle. Either both will be able to get there or neither will, and again, when it comes to the risk of falling off/over the mecha is the top heavy design here.

Nor is the Skell the only option for what to do with resources, and I've already made my opinion of the Skell clear usefulness wise, so...

It's also still a blatent copy paste. You couldn't even be bothered to think up your own mecha design.

Let me go over my thought processes.

UPS is effectively creating a way to greatly reduce the number of electronics needed to control something like a jet. That same thought process is what goes into the Skell. Normally, programming all that movement would be difficult, but using BCS makes it easy. It also boosts our understanding of the BCS, and will help out with contacting other races and allying ourselves with them, likely receiving bonuses.

The Skell design is a base, meant to be used for a number of things, from combat to support. Moreover, it's weapons loadout are universal. Setting up a piece of artillery would be simple with the basics of what makes a Skell. We can literrally use them for anything so long design the gear. A railgun, easy. Mining Laser, easy and turned to offensive purposes. Missiles, easy, a proper team can fire a bunch fairly quickly with the right support. AA, easy. Though all described would take up the back weapon slot, it offers an ease of deployment not found in conventional vehicles. Bad terrain can't stop them.

It should also be noted that a mecha would be difficult regardless, hence why it is split into two designs. But Below Average still offers everything in the design, which leads to experience in that field. Anything above that would icing.
Alriight, first off, a Mind Machine Interface is generally useful everywhere. By the same token, just because it's useful doesn't mean we have to make a giant robot for it. It's an entirely different subject, and will remain so despite your attempts to make them seem like requirements to one another.

As for using the Skell as a base, we already have a base vehicle in the form of the STAR. It's literally a tank without weapons right now, and it's going to be 100% easier to put a weapon on it then make an overly complicated giant robot that includes some really ambitious design goals. By the same token, there's nothing special about giant mecha that let's us put weapons on it other vehicles can't have. A railgun fits just as well on a tank if not better, because a tank is a lot more stable to shoot it from. A mining laser? Again, easily fit on a vehicle, especially a vehicle that's not stupid tall so needs giant tunnels to crawl through to actually use said laser for mining. Missiles? Again, easily to put on a truck or a tank or literally just fire them out of the tank barrel. AA? Again, as easy on a tank as on any other platform, and the tank's going to provide a at least as stable firing platform then a 35~ ish tall rip off.

And using vehicles for all of those would be a lot easier, because we already have a vehicle to work with instead of needing to use two separate designs to get something that works at all before we put any weapons on it, and that's assuming we roll well and don't have to waste more actions on the Skell.

Neither is 'because it is hard' an acceptable reason, by itself, for doing something. The Skell needing to be broken up into multiple actions is more a reason not to do it then to do it.

That, and we really do need a heavy hitter. The Skell would make taking on emplacements fairly simple, as it's not something a regular gun can deal with.
You're either using 'guns' to mean 'small arms fire' which is always going to be of super questionable use verses vehicle scale stuff, or you're somehow assuming the Skell is not going to be a 30-40 foot tall target for whatever anti-vehicle weapons the emplacement has. Which it will be.

Either way, again, we already have a base tank design, and it's going to be a hell of a lot simpler to actually put a gun on it for a heavy hitter then to do the Skell, hope we roll well enough we don't need more rolls to make it actually work, and then we're going to have to use even more rolls to actually make weapons for it. Or, you know, we could do just one design action to put a proper big gun on the STAR.

I know which looks more effective to me...

7 is Poor Performance.. Can't expect it to stand up to the competition, but it's functional. ... We have no competition in that area, and it's meant to be a prototype in the first place. Buggy Mess wuld give us a buggy mess. But it still kinda works. And gives us a viable prototype. We can just sort it out when designing a weapons loadout, or use a revision to fix the issues.

I think the difficulty at the highest is 60% of it working, 40% that it fails. That is on a -4 modifier.

8 or 9 (15%): Below Average. You might find this kind of quality in a Red Apple or Giant Tiger store. Maybe even Walmart, on a bad day. Honestly, it's not bad but you could do better.
10 to 12 (28%): Average. Pretty much what you asked for.
13 or 14 (15%): Above Average. It's better than what you were looking for, but not by much.

It helps that average is actually 6 numbers out of 20. Another 6 for any result above that. Though the actually result on a -4 is 50/50, a coin flip. We do have MIP however, and the universal sockets. As such, -2 is more likely. 12/20

This is based on a single die though. The mix of two die actually would change the numbers slightly. So I think the average numbers would be a bit higher.
We can actually check the odds fairly easily by using AnyDice and looking up the probabilities. Which I did to get a breakdown of the probabilities of 2d10-4, as per your guessed difficulty level (there's no effing way we're getting only Very Difficult when we do our first mecha and also try to cram in stuff like shapeshifting into it, at most we'll have -3 and a -4 is a lot more likely if it's not a -5). As we can see, this means the average roll becomes a 7 and the probability table shifts to center on it. Those are not good probabilities. Note that the stated probabilities in the posted roll table in core are without modifiers... modifying things. The second you slap a -4 onto stuff that table does not give accurate probabilities any more.

Point is, we have 4 designs and 4 revisions left. The Skell is meant to be the tank, and meant to last for a long time to come. So a chance to grab something that the competetion simply isn't going to have an answer to. Note I also have an idea for a shield module for them, which would effectively remove traditional missiles/RPGs from being threats. The Skell's size lends itself to being a good base to carry them.
...I am unsure why you think people would be unable to respond to the giant walking target you want to design, but, um, no, they will be able to have an answer to the Skell, whether it be their own robo or tanks or just air strikes, and no, we aren't going to be able to just ignore normal missiles/RPGS with a single design, that's not how arms races work, they're just going to design shield piercing rockets if it comes down to it.

And having 8 actions left is not a reason we should waste half of them on something when we have a huge amount other stuff to do.

Anyway you did make a good point on the resource thing, so shifting my vote off the smelter for now.

Electric Smelter: (0)
Historical Rifle Study Program: (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2019, 08:20:41 pm »

Electric Smelter: (0)
Historical Rifle Study Program: (2) Happerry, SC777
STAR-Earthmover: (2) Happerry, SC777

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 01:46:22 am »

Base Light Skell: (1) TricMagic,

Electric Smelter: (1)Craftsdwarf boi
Historical Rifle Study Program: (3) Happerry, SC777,Craftsdwarf Boi
STAR-Earthmover: (2) Happerry, SC777
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 08:04:52 am »

Now you come out of the Woodwork SC?

Well, yeah, it is. It's still a good idea? Believe it or not, it is possible to render most conventional missiles a bit useless. However, that itself is also rather useless without anything to put it on that can power it.

Soliton Wave Generator

Taking the concept of Solitary Waves, we can use a large quantity of electricity to create a type of sphere-shell around an area. It's effectively a bunch of waves acting as destructive energy, linked to a single point. The shield will move with the vehicle, effectively pre-detonating any explosives from RPGs or Missiles. With proper armor, this can be used to grant a great defense against such tactics.

Note this is also from XCX.. But it can be made, and will prevent direct contact, greatly reducing the lethality of such weapons while the shield is running. And can be equipped to the arm of the Skell. Such a thing is of less use to vehicles and aircraft than skells, as with tanks, they may be too slow to make use of it, and aircraft have to worry about shrapnel taking them out.

I'm perfectly fine with just devoting one design to it, since I initially split it into two to reduce the difficulty. And the fact no one was talking in the first place SC.. Also, we need Lore. So Write Lore.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 11:23:58 am »

Another Double post, just cause.

It would have been nice if you guys spoke up beforehand.

Nigrum Alba Mors .30 Caliber Sniper Rifle

With translation availible, and MIP, we can now machine parts for guns, and actually communicate with those few who know how guns are put together.

The Nigrum Alba Mors is a .30 caliber sniper rifle capable of reaching from mid to far range with great accuracy, with a standard six-ammo stock. Moreover, Tungsten is used for the bullets to create armor-piercing rounds. It's meant to fix our current loadout's issue at range. While our stun pistols are great at mid and close range for dropping foes, we have no way to deal with range.

We use a telescopic sight attached to help with accuracy, obviously. Then there is the the rest of the gun, with wood stock, aluminium chasis, attachable stand, sling, and rifled barrel.

Machining is is as simple as using BCS to set-up a machining station where the gun parts can be programmed into, and carved from metal with specialized pieces of machinery. Likewise, MIP makes a telescopic sight fairly easy to put together.

To go more into the Rifled Barrel, it's made of an alloy. Mostly aluminium, mixed with other various metals like nickel and tempered steel. This is so it can withstand the cold temperatures and the hot, as the cold can render regular steel brittle.

For the bullets, Tungsten is used for it's armor-piercing properties. They go into ammo packs of 6, which can be inserted to be shifted into the gun as needed.

Here is a gun for dealing with long range targets with accuracy. Our pulse pistol is already fine for taking out anyone at mid range out of the fight, so long range+armor piercing would be useful.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Absolutely Absurd Abductee Arms Race: Team 3 Thread (Turn 1 Design Phase)
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 06:29:03 pm »

Turn 3 Design Phase Results
Historical Rifle Study Program
It's a fact that our current rifle is, to put it politely, less then optimal. Less politely put it's pretty shitty. Still, it sufficed for the earlier years of our settlement... but with conflict with the other colonies looming it may not suffice much longer. And even beyond that, while once we had to deal with scrap and whatever we could find, we now have a proper industrial base. As such, we no longer will need to cobble together whatever we can find to make our rifles. Thus, the Historical Rifle Study Program was formed, to find anyone who know about rifles and other long guns from the Earth Before, get them to pool their knowledge, and from that knowledge design a proper assault rifle for the army. This new rifle will be a finished and polished design, using parts specifically built for it instead of whatever we could find, use proper quality control, and generally be a huge step up over our current pieces of crap.
Very Easy (4 + 4) +2 = 10 Average

A very effective weapon in modern times, the M-16 is not even a modern gun. There is evidence that looters, or possibly spies, have already even tried to scrounge up parts for these assault rifles from your territory. It's certainly not a gun that speaks to the pride of the Social Democracy, but it's representative parts can all appreciate the terror this gun has historically caused.

The Historical Rifle Study Program has decided that this mainstay weapon and it's variants are the most effective weapons to start wholesale manufacture of right away. Only costing 1 ore and 1 oil, it's a natural replacement to the makeshift scrap we are currently using.

The program has also decided to stick around and research other weaponry of earth-origin, mostly long guns, but basically repairing our historical databases and filling them with wartime weaponry information.

STAR-Earthmover
Based on the base chassi of the STAR-Transverse, the STAR-Earthmover is not designed for either cargo transport or defense. Instead it's designed to move earth, allowing for both enhanced mining and enhanced field construction capacity. With two modular attachment points, one in front and one behinc, the STAR-Earthmover can be outfited with a variety of helpful tools, such as a giant plow for moving snow, a dozer blade for moving snow and earth and rock, an excavator bucket arm for excavating stuff mountable either in front or on the back as a Backhoe loader, a road grader for, you know, making roads, or a Trencher for grinding through annoying rocks in the middle of your soon to be road, or even a forklift for, you know, lifting stuff up.

All in all the STAR-Earthmover is a valuable and flexible earthmoving and engineering vehicle, or at least will be as soon as it's done being designed.
Normal (6 + 10) +-0 = 16 Superior Craftsmanship
While the STAR-Earthmover is not a defensive vehicle, or a transport, it's basis on the already superb STAR-Transverse gives it the horsepower to do it's job in tough conditions. Just like the Transverse, it can be fitted with optional parts, though it's made to fit twice as many. The plow and dozer tools can push snow, dirt, or many other particulates aside, and the bucket arm can dig deep holes. There's also the grader, trencher, forklift, or it can even fit a trailer that can in turn fit the truck bed from a Transverse - though it's not as fast as the Transverse, and it's bulkier in order to transfer it's torque and horsepower into it's specialized tools; it also only fits 2 people in the cab instead of 4.

Between the two different vehicles, though, one to move earth short distances and build roads, and one to move that earth and other materials long distances over the roads, a very strong transportation network is established in the Social Democracy of the Red Blossom. And with the MIP and MRN, small towns and outposts begin springing up all throughout the SDRB's territory; there is little worry of supply routes being interrupted with the Transverse being basically a personal tank, and the Earthmover creating and reinforcing a road network, plus fulfilling most other industrial needs one would use a multipurpose tank-tractor for.

The Earthmover costs about the same amount as the Transverse, being a similar design for a different purpose. It improves the Transverse's ability to travel, providing one more TC, and provides direct improvement to strategic lanes, allowing the SDRB to reinforce their defenses and quickly move troops to the front.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Absolutely Absurd Abductee Arms Race: SDRB Thread (Turn 3 Revision Phase)
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 07:00:14 pm »

Ionic Repeating Gun
Based off the lessons learned in creating the Soliton Stun Pistol, the Ionic Repeating Gun is, instead of being a pistol, a machine gun sized energy weapon, designed to be operated from fixed positions (and coming with an easily usable tripod to turn anywhere the user wants into a fixed position), with much larger power cells then used by the pistol allowing for stronger, and more rapid, shots. While Semi-automatic is a firing mode the gun supports, users are probably going to find more uses from the burst and full automatic firing modes, firing coruscating energy bolts at a rate at least equal, and probably greater, then one bolt a second. But taking an energy weapon and upscaling it to machine gun scale isn't the only advance this guns holds, for the shots fired from this gun are also charged with ionic force. This electrical energy bursts out from the shots as soon as they hit a solid object, covering everything nearby and in contact with said struck object with a web of electrical force, allowing for both area of effect damage and a certain ability to damage people whom think they are in cover when the electrical web goes around the stuck object and electrocutes anyone in contact with its rear.

Rocket Bombardment Sled
Based on the design of the truck bed already used by the STAR linage of vehicles, as well as data reclaimed by the Historical Weapon Study Program on multiple launch rocket systems, the Rocket Bombardment Sled is a five stack high brace of artillery rockets, each of the five racks holding six rockets, and each rack usable independently or together for either maximum firepower per launch or a more staggered launch to continually pressure the target. As well, reloading is as easy and pulling out the old rack and sliding a new one in into the level where the old one was, making reloading these sleds quick, simple, and easy, thus allowing for ease of applying explosives to the enemy. The reloads should probably be carried by an actual transport type truck bed though, not the rocket sled. Each rocket carries a fragmenting warhead, designed to maximize damage over the effected area, instead of just an explosive one which might blow up good but is less useful against enemy infantry.

For transport, the Rocket Bombardment Sled has both wheels and skies, with the skies retractable when not in use, and extendable when it'd be easier to move the sled around on skies, over the snow, then with wheels, allowing for all terrain use of this artillery weapon. And it is, of course, towable behind all currently designed STAR type vehicles, allowing for simplicity of deployment and redeployment alike.

Potentially, if there's any amount of spare time for the design team, it has been suggested that they look into also creating smoke rockets, signal rockets, and incendiary rockets as alternate ammunition loadouts.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:02:57 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 07:32:34 am »

The Ionic Repeating Gun is something I can get behind.

Spoiler: Not Currently Viable (click to show/hide)

Soliton Sonic Mapper

Take a shell, add three extensions, connect it to a long term battery, and then use a mining laser in those three extensions to let it sink to the programmed depth. Inside the shell is a sonic/soliton based mapper, which can create a map of the surrounding earth, and the various materials found. A Solitary Wave Beam designed to move through the earth is sent up to broadcast the information to the nearest radio tower.

Effectively, they bury themselves, and are designed for year-long mapping. Orders can be sent and received as well by using the beam as a focus point to bypass most of the earth's resistance to radio waves. While the shell is made of titanium, the rest of the parts are simple to design and make. Simply set it up, and it will go to the prescribed depth.

This will be used to create a type of grid pattern to locate various ores, which can then be dug up via earthmover and more traditional mining operations. Or just a mining laser, given we are already planing to make a small one for the Mappers.

There is a bonus to this. Their sensors, when not sonic mapping, can be tuned to listen to the vibrations above ground, creating a way to determine enemy movements over areas they've been installed.

Mining Laser is a part of the three triangular point projections, which spin around as they focus a laser beam beneath them to dig down. The rest of it is parts inside the titanium shell. They are 5 Feet long, and 3 feet diameter, with an extra foot of length for the mining laser. It's expected to do good work in the Tundra to find Ore.

So we can find ore and more easily. Most specifically, in the one place that doesn't currently have anything in it.

I kinda think having an effective 3 Ore and 2 Oil +-1 Ore/Oil, does grant us some flexibility. That, and the STAR Class tires use oil in their construction. The SS Mapper also introduces actual Lasers to our energy weapon list.

Sakura Helmet
BCS Radio Heads Up Display Helmet

By making use of these headbands, the users can connect them to a radio helmet. This helmet is very comfortable to wear, with optional fur/cotton lining, and a bulletproof glass visor with integrated HUD to display allies and local terrain. And very good steel treated in the same way as the armor of the STAR-Class Transverse, painted to prevent the shine from giving you away.

Effectively, the Helmet reads the operator's thoughts, and uses the radio to transmit information. As well, there is a miniture computer capable of storing some information. This allows terrain to be mapped, and enemies to show up on those maps in the HUD of a Squad or army. Likewise, this same BCS makes the HUD hands free, capable of switching readouts and zoom quickly.

The Radio encodes everything in BCS, and sends it as a Solitary Wave like with our radio towers., meaning that actually intercepting such communications is pointless for our foes.

Lastly, each helmet has a self-destruct feature carefully locked. Anyone that gets close enough to have their thoughts read and be focused on studying the secrets of the Red Blossom for their country will have everything burn away in a electronic overload, frying the electronics, even as the electronic data becomes bug data. Likewise, taking the electronics apart or removing the trigger battery(separate from the actual 16-hour battery) without going through a BCS boot sequence to do so will also trigger this.

They are so named the Sakura Helmets for they being one part of the greater whole. A thousand cherry blossoms covering the area, learning.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:28:35 pm by TricMagic »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 04:59:57 pm »

Ionic Repeating Gun: (1) TricMagic
Sakura Helmet: (1) TricMagic
Rocket Bombardment Sled: (0)
Soliton Sonic Mapper: (0)

The Sakura Helmet should be easy, and give us an advantage in squad combat of being able to tell where our enemies are, reducing their successful ambush rates. Likewise, it's a squad radio, auto-mapper and protection for the head.

The IRG will make a good defensive tool, and can be carted around in truckbeds to be more mobile.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 08:56:05 pm »

Voting for the machine gun and the rocket artillery myself. The Sakura Helmet seems to push our luck a bit too much in my opinion, trying to fit a radio and a heads up display and a mind machine link into a helmet when we're really only at the basics of all three involved techs.

Ionic Repeating Gun: (2) TricMagic, Happerry
Sakura Helmet: (1) TricMagic
Rocket Bombardment Sled: (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 07:32:39 am »

Our radio tech is nowhere near basic. Also MIP.

Our mind-reader tech is basic, in that we have a headband that already does it.

The HUD is the only new thing. Also MIP.

BCS Coding. We have it.

The difficulty roll of just slotting things into something is +2. For being experienced in the field we're doing, +1. As a revision, +0. Nothing really groundbreaking here, just efficient and useful.

We have absolutely no rockets or rocket experience to fall back on, simply MIP and the HRS Program. So that would technically be the harder between the two outside a design.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2019, 07:16:15 pm »

Quote from: VoteBox
Ionic Repeating Gun: (3) TricMagic, Happerry, SC777
Sakura Helmet: (2) TricMagic, SC777
Rocket Bombardment Sled: (1) Happery

Plz let’s not use sleds and build some actual MRLSes, also when is our cybernetic technology going to produce some tangible results?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:19:37 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2019, 07:18:59 pm »

Presumably when someone writes a good design that involves cyborgs. Maybe we should look into power armor...

Also note that it's basically a cart with a sled option, not just a sled.
Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5