Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Absolutely Absurd Abductee Arms Race: F. Cities of Sujia (Turn 4 Revision Phase)  (Read 10088 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votebox
MULE(Uses Alien Credit) (1): Failbird105
-Also use Research Credit (1): Failbird105
Shattershell (1): Failbird105

Alright, I've just gotta vote now. I wanted to wait for other people to post designs, but the wait is starting to drag on, and I'd rather move things along for the sake of the other teams.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

MULE(Uses Alien Credit) (2): Failbird105, Jilladilla
-Also use Research Credit (2): Failbird105, Jilladilla
Shattershell (1): Failbird105

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MULE(Uses Alien Credit) (3): Failbird105, Jilladilla, MoP
-Also use Research Credit (3): Failbird105, Jilladilla, MoP
Shattershell (2): Failbird105, MoP

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Turn 3 Design Phase Results
Proposal: Mining Utility Levitating Excavator (uses Alien Credit) (maybe research credit too, but we can vote on that)

Who- or whatever occupied these deserts before The Displacement was keen on pulling resources and materials from the desiccated lands we now inhabit. Or, at least, it's been made to look that way. Littering the Dunescape, and one of the few things that saved us from early demise, are a number of abandoned mining facilities. As with the REEE, we were able to study and scavenge a number of mining vehicles left abandoned and time-worn, and have been able to repurpose them for our needs in the inevitable Water Wars. (How dare they suggest trade for as vital a resource as water? That's extortion!)

The MULE, as far as we can tell, was designed to hover over the sand and utilized a pair of large manipulable arms with a variety of detachable ends (scoops, borers, etc.) to uncover and extract materials practically at the surface and store them in it's open-topped cargo hold. The effectiveness of the MULE at it's designated purpose must have been great, as a number of strip mining operations have been discovered absolutely littered with the vehicles.

Our experimentation shows most of the "magic" happens in the engine and propulsion system, and therefore these parts are the only parts that remain unchanged (and are the focus of this proposal). The engine is a miracle in and of itself, capable of running on a combination of standard liquid fuel (oil) as well as flammable minerals (ore) or, in desperate, cases biomass. Water (and urine) can also be used in extreme circumstances, but are much less potent than other fuel sources. One just need to fill the fuel hatch with what they have on-hand and the engine breaks it down into workable energy.

The engine converts fuel into electrical energy used to provide power to the bottom plate of the MULE. This plate provides stable vertical lift as well as the ability to move horizontally. It is important to note that the MULE always maintains a steady consistent distance over the surface based on driver inputs, with additional weight automatically compensated for by the engine-plate assembly.

The MULE we field is slightly different from the ones we've scavenged though. For one, we've removed everything from the frame save for the engine, plate, and a single arm (using a hook or claw to load/unload goods). Instead of trying to maintain every single vehicle to perfect standards, we've bolted on whatever armor we have available on hand and give the crews (driver, engineer, passenger-gunman) free reign on vehicle upkeep. The cargo area (similar in appearance to a dump truck) has had small less-than-comfortable metal seats for up to twelve fully armed and armored Freemen soldiers. The seats are little more than small plates jutting from the sides of the interior of the cargo area so as to minimize impact on actual cargo capacity. Another six hand- and footholds are present around the exterior of the MULE to allow extra cargo to be hooked on or let a few extra people catch a ride in the open air. A canvas-like top can be thrown over the cargo area to protect the interior from the elements.

While the MULEs may not be the most consistent in regard to defensiveness, they're largely meant for use as fast transport for men and material and not for outright combat.

Observer's Note: Crews of MULEs tend to take an extreme level of pride in their vehicles. Each one has a name and, as many can attest to, personality of their own.
Very Difficult (3 + 3 + 7) -2 = 8 Below Average (Uses Alien Credit)
A hover craft! or, as properly called, Mining Utility Levitating Excavator, MULE for short. MULE is not capable of proper flight, but it does maintain a distance over the ground that could easily be mistaken for it. As cargo vehicles go, they're scrappy, with personalized armor and little touches and battle scars that make them stand out from each other.

The two most exciting parts of the vehicle, the vertical life plates, and the engine, are mysteries. Reverse engineered technology, that is somewhat understood by it's creators, but so much more efficient than the understanding of physics gives them any right to be. First off, the plates. It's probable that the Sujium alloy used in it's construction, and the form of energy used to alternatively deactivate it and re-excite it, has something to do with it. Just how this alloy works this way, actually putting energy back into the Sujium instead of deactivating it's physics reversing properties temporarily, is unknown still; but that's how the aliens did it, and it works, so we're going with it. It seems to fire the ship upwards, without pushing anything underneath it downwards; the air under the MULE is perfectly still. And the craft regulates the oscillation of the two forms of energy that bring out this effect so smoothly that even when dumping a full load of rocks directly into the cargo space, it only causes a little wobbling in the MULE that levels out quickly.

Then the engine. It utilizes some sort of fission process, breaking practically any matter down into little more than helium gas with traces of hydrogen. For some reason, breaking elements down past helium actually uses more energy than the engine produces that way, so only small amounts of hydrogen are produced. Combustible materials are the most effective, as the oxygenation reaction to burn the materials heats them up and makes the process easier; meaning less energy lost by the engine trying to break them down. Heavy radioactive metals are actually less efficient; but much longer lasting.

Unfortunately, MULES are not naturally quick (though, keep reading). The alien models must have used their many arms in some means to "swim" quickly through the air, while normally the best our vertical lift plates can manage is puttering forward at a speed best described as meandering. It does move under it's own power, which is nice, even under a full load it's still capable of it's top speed of a walking pace. But, with some exceptions, many MULE crews opt to hook their craft up with something a bit faster to give it some extra oomph - by attaching a Silicalisk to a harness, it becomes very quick indeed; some teams instead use fuel hungry rocket jets, or rewire the vertical lift plates to angle forwards a bit to sacrifice just how high it can hover for a lot more speed. Some crazy guy actually swings a REEE around on top of the MULE to provide sudden kicks of acceleration that can actually keep up with each and every other solution. Over all, with each MULE produced having someone on it's team with some ingenious hacked together solution to give it more speed, the slow nature of the MULE is made up for and surpassed by almost every MULE we produce. Most of them actually move at a decently fast pace, even if they didn't right when they were built. Of course, some of the solutions are dangerous, but the Sujia way is to embrace this danger, look it in the eyes, and laugh. Laugh the name of your MULE, and scream into the wind whipping in your face as you blaze down the rocky canyons and sizzling sand dunes.

The single arm with a hook, scoop, claw, or other, customization hauling solution holds up under stress. Some teams do armor the arm up so much so as to be cumbersome, but they are durable enough in their own right. Any faults they may have are hardly worth a mention, since the model used is almost entirely human in construction.

MULES use a lot of material to construct, especially the fission engine, taking 4 Ore, 2 Sujium, and 2 oil. They are Expensive, but provide 1 TC now, and one more when they become Cheap. They also extend your mining range in areas C and D, so as long as you hold those areas you have access to one more Ore. They are also effective troop transports, assuming you're willing to put up with each one's personality and it's crew.

Design:Shattershell Grenade
The Shattershell is nothing special really. It's a grenade, plain and simple. A small, hand-holdable casing filled with explosives is the main payload of the weapon. The pin holds the striker lever in place> when the pin is pulled, the spring loaded striker is let loose, allowing it to ignite the percussion cap, which starts a small fuse, that ends in the detonator exploding, and thus exploding the rest of the payload. Additionally, the casing is segmented and perforated, this means that when the payload explodes, the shell shatters more evenly, launching shrapnel in all directions at deadly speeds. From what we remember from Earth, grenades tend to go well with mounted forces.

Let's have us some Silicalisk Grenadiers.
Very Easy (5 + 6) + 2 = 13 Above Average
Is there any weapon simpler to use than a grenade? Pull a pin, count to 5, and throw. Or throw faster if you think the enemy wouldn't be able to dodge. Or count to 10 if you're feeling lucky. Don't feel lucky, please; while mid-air detonation can be useful, it could still explode too close for comfort. Count to 15 if you want to lose your arm, and likely your life.

You could make the matter more complex by introducing a launcher before even designing the grenade, but you felt it was more straight forward to design something that exploded right the first time. And oh boy did it explode right. Our grenades are simple explosives and shrapnel, but the shrapnel is effective.

Arming our soldiers with grenades costs 1 ore and 3 oil. The explosives could be cheaper, but they wouldn't be as effective; there's a lot of boom in those small packages.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Proposal: AK-10M "Cerignola"

The Cerignola takes the bulk of the Jezail, hardens it's firing mechanisms, and gives it the ability to belt-feed. A foldable bipod provides stability when deployed. Belts come in 50-round individual belts or 200-round boxes.

Proposal: Powdershell Grenades

Powdershell grenades dispense a thick cloud of colored smoke to provide cover or mark a position. While it is not suggested that one inhale the smoke on a constant basis, it is not designed to be harmful over the course of standard battlefield usage.

Two simple proposals, since honestly things are pretty sweet right now armory-wise. Even our less-good stuff is good by me. Cerignola gets it's name from the first historically recorded instance where gunpowder weaponry decided a battle.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Revision: Homogenized Official Recon and Security Engine

The MULE is a fine vehicle, proudly used by many citizens, but it is hard to standardize tactics and battle plans with the wondrously varied speeds and safety levels of the transport.  It is also a mining vehicle with combat as a secondary concern.  The H.O.R.S.E. fixes these issues, removing the excavating arm and using the saved weight to add light silicalisk hide armor.  Covered firing positions allow a soldier inside to move a sliding armored hatch and shoot out from inside.  Transportation has been reduced down to two methods, Battle Silicalisk provide the primary movement while a backup rewired vertical lift plate allows emergency movement.  In a general combat situation soldiers will leave the vehicle or use it as a light bunker while the Battle Silicalisks will be released with trained riders.

The inside has been altered to allow more comfortable seating with metal or plastic benches and under bench storage space replacing the ore and cargo hauling part of the vehicle.

Revision:Silicalisk Hide Insurgent Variant

The existing Grade L armor provides some level of camouflage in the desert thanks to the natural coloration of the base material.  A new set of paints and dyes that can be applied to silicalisk hide have been developed.  We can use these to provide advanced and more effective camouflage patterns in both green and gray color patterns as well as a more effective brown and sand colored one.  These paints can also be applied to silicalisk leather that is still on the beasts and other equipment that might use silicalisk armor (like the HORSE).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:54:53 pm by VoidSlayer »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the one hand yeah HORSE would be an upgrade, but on the other... man I don't know, it feels like it's taking away the MULEs charm.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have some piping hot l o r e served fresh from the oven of Discord.

(listen to this while reading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISnTECX8Eg)
Quote from: Wastes Asshole
In a year lost to time, I was on a mining colony, far out.
Just a dusty, backwater facility, somewhere about.
And then one day, I was minding my own business, I was mining my own ore.
And there he was,
Wastes Asshole,
In a MULE, flying off the ridge,
Wastes Asshole,
smashing- through a bridge.
And as he landed, out came his hammer, smashed my boss right in the faaaace.
Wastes Asshole,
Throwing grenades left and right,
Wastes Asshole,
All he does, is annihilate and fight,

I didn't, sign up for this, I just wanted to get away,
somewhere remote.
Just a place, where I could earn myself, a days drink,
without being smote.
But every time I think it's safe, every time I think it's calm,
I'm wrong.

Wastes Asshole,
Hammer's swinging, walls are falling down.
Wastes Asshole,
sujium bouncing, through the entire town.
Now all the rest are dead, Wastes Asshole has prevailed,
only I am left alive to tell the tale of,
Wastes Asshole.
Come's without warning to destroy.
Wastes Asshole,
wanton carnage, is all he can enjoy.
Wastes Asshole,
In a MULE, flying off the ridge,
Wastes Asshole,
smashing- through a bridge.

Wastes Asshole...
Wastes Asshole...
Wastes Asshole...
He's the Wastes Asshole...
-Song by local miner, about repeated encounters with local criminal
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:58:41 pm by Failbird105 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree about the HORSE. Our flaws give us some great character. Our armory just screams "we scrape by and we love it, also we're wastes assholes".

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile

Let's make it so that the Silicalisks can literally just drink acid.

Quote from: Acid Rations
Before this can be elaborated on, two things need to be cleared up about Sujia:
a) While there may be little natural water, for some ungodly reason, the desert boasts natural springs and oases of hydrochloric acid.
b) Sujian dirt is an adhering menace like no other.
c) If a Sujian is desperate to clean their vehicle, they will try anything.

So it went that a MULE operator was lugging back a jug of dilute--for a given measure of dilute, given as the operator was using vinegar--hydrochloric acid, and while taking a detour through a Silicalisk stable, ended up slipping on a pile of the chalky substance they leave as excrement. Of course, the operator fell onto her back, immediately splashing some of the corrosive mess onto her arms and face as the jug itself flew into a stall that happened to contain a silicalisk snacking on its gravel.

As the panicked operator fled to a medical tent to get a decontamination shower, the Silicalisk did something... odd. While the specifics are unknown, given that nobody was in the stable at the time, a couple of dragoons passed by to find the beast clutching the jug in its foreclaws and slurping down the acid like iced tea on a summer day. After the spill was cleaned up and the operator docked pay for going beyond water use regulations--the decontamination shower--the Silicalisk's handlers noted a few improvements in the beast's lifestyle.

Best as can be told, the acid actually hydrated the creature, evidenced by the beast refusing water for the next several days. Furthermore, it increased the strength of its internal acid, which had a few marked benefits. The offensive uses of corrosive spit were only boosted, of course, and it gained more energy from the same amount of food!

Theoretically, by replacing the water rations afforded to Silicalisks with acid ones, we could increase the water supply available to our troops, and at the same time decrease the amount of labor and ore needed to secure food supplies for our Silicalisks!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:37:29 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yes

Quote from: JuiceBox
AK-10M Cerignola:
Powdershell Grenades: (1) MoP
HORSE:
Silicalisk Hide Insurgent Variant:
Acid Rations: (1) MoP

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile

AK-10M Cerignola:
Powdershell Grenades: (2) MoP, D7
HORSE:
Acid Rations: (2) MoP, D7
Good stuff. Next design phase I think I'll be voting for c r a b as well as seeing about designing some kind of heavy weapons.

Avanti!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think some form of artillery, but we shouldn’t expect to have a jillion of them. Hell, a couple pieces on each front with our current situation should be enough

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AK-10M Cerignola:
Powdershell Grenades: (3) MoP, D7, Failbird
HORSE:
Acid Rations: (3) MoP, D7, Failbird
Eh, sure. Though I do kinda like the idea of having it be vinegar instead of acid.

Edit: Also, if we do go further into Beastmasters, I don't really want us going any more than three beasts. I feel like the beasts should be more of a supplementary thing, rather than the majority of our forces.
That being said, if we do get a third beast, I kinda want it to be like, Rakks, or something of the sort.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:02:24 pm by Failbird105 »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We should make an upgraded combat Mule though later, I am thinking a hover combat platform.

Maybe some kind of poisonous giant ambush spider.  More of an attack dog instead of a mount.

Plasma cannon obviously.  Giant plasma cannon on a hover platform.

Giant plasma cannon on a hover platform that releases large poisonous spiders.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8