Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: Vanilla Tea Mafia: TOWN VICTORY  (Read 55782 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Tea Mafia: Day One: A Hanging Scroll
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2019, 09:47:23 pm »

Prods are handled as a private matter.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
  • Deleting things since 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2019, 12:34:18 am »

I'll be signing off soon due to the job test thing, so I won't have much to say.

You don't want to "go for the low-hanging fruit"... but you're okay with lynching IonMatrix? How is a Naturegirl lynch "low-hanging fruit", but an IonMatrix lynch not?
IonMatrix was one of those proponents who asked for an extension and got one. Look where he is now. Absent. This worries me since, if you're getting an extension, you'd be making some use of it, right?

Huh.
Okay but in your experience, is bandwagoning more often a noobtown than a scum move? That's what I was trying to ask there.
Yes. In my experience, scum typically don't jump off and on wagons like they're changing shoes.

This is some interesting wording. "Most suspicious aside from Naturegirl"? This implies to me that you consider Naturegirl to be more suspicious than IonMatrix. Is that so? If so, why are you letting her behavior slide and not IonMatrix's?
I meant it more in the sense that "if we step away from the Naturegirl deal, this is what I believe." I'm sorry if it came off as "she's suspicious, but these people come close" which I didn't mean to say.

This is strange to me. I was totally trying to coach Naturegirl into better town-play! IonMatrix too! Is that scummy of me? If so, why didn't you poke me for it? If not, how come it is when NJW does it?
It's something to do with how he came off. "NOT GOOD ENOUGH." followed by a bunch of paragraphs to poke and prod her to work. There's this expression, "trying too hard," and in my opinion, this seems like it.

Bu-u-t... you want to lynch IonMatrix, who doesn't appear in either of those prospective scumteams. Where does he figure into your calculations? If you don't think he's in any scumteams, why lynch him?
It's more that I can't place my finger on who his partner is if he isn't scum. I believe he is likely part of a scumteam but not one I can nail down.

----
As for my buddying up accusation, I'm just concerned that NJW's mentioning my analysis a couple times over could be a subtle scummy attempt at getting me to warm up to him. The tactic that won me my last (and only) game as scum was indeed, subtly buddying up to a player who was outwardly town and doing all his homework, by saying things he agreed with. By doing so, I had him in my pocket for the whole game until the very end, when he decided I was no longer "that very townie player" and instead I became "the very scummy player," but his realization arrived too late. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere in that game were it not for pocketing him, so I am cautious about players who just agree with me and repeatedly bring me up. I think it's healthy not to let anyone get away with pocketing you, and to take some time to scrutinize if they're genuine or not.
Code: [Select]
> os.delete("real_life.py")

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2019, 08:26:50 am »

Notes
I don't feel like it's time for me to analyse recent behaviour or respond in depth to anything other questions, seeing as it's nearing the end of the day and I would like to have some proper cases. So I've been rereading the thread with a lynch in mind.

Briefly: I'm a little surprised by Pooka's reaction to me mentioning their analysis, though I approve of them scrutinizing people's behaviour. This also reminded me that I never asked Pooka a proper question today, which is more lax/scummy of me imho, and might be part of what produced their idea that I'm buddying them, though they haven't made that explicit.

Readslist

Naturegirl1999 - new/bad play, becoming more helpful, slight town vibe but largely null/new read
Superdorf - scum vibe due to certain shifts in behaviour and being a little too on my side, also odd, very slightly non-sequitur questions. Some of this attributable to new players being present and wanting to metagame to give them an easier time of it. Not all of it.
NJW2000 - clear town, only an idiot would think this guy was scum, jeez, also he's very handsome, you can tell from his posts.
Pooka - very uncertain. Not so much ambivalence as a lack of opinion here: the main thing that's stood out to me in his posts was the suggestion that I'd been buddying him, which suggests I really haven't thought much about his play. Resolve to watch/pressure more closely in future.
IonMatrix - dubious play, becoming less present, slight scum vibes due to certain posts that come across as not just wrong play but wrong motivation
4maskwolf - Town vibe. Has given explanations for all their behaviour that make sense and largely excuse it, seems to be pushing as town well. Not happy about this read, as 4mask is a very strong/experienced player, so I suspect I wouldn't be very likely to pick up on it if they were scum. Perhaps I'll feel a bit better once I can apply mechanical analysis to them.
Persus13 - Another player that is a lot stronger than me, so I'm not sure I'd be able to get a scumread on them. I've feeling like I can't really read Persus this game. Possibly just because he's not been posting as much as say 4mask. Need more information.

Note that reads are not the same as ideas for who to lynch, to me. To me, reads are guesses about alignment. But one might want to lynch someone for reasons other than suspected/known alignment. I think of cases as potentially involving these reasons. Being cases-for lynching someone, rather than cases-that someone is scum.

I can explain why I think these with examples, and would be happy to in any particular case. I am however just posting what I'm feeling/thinking after rereading the whole thread, it would take forever to explain all of these, I don't wanna do that.

Cases
Annoyingly obvious cases against newer, weaker players:

Naturegirl: Multiple instances of bandwagoning I'm not going to quote because every is tediously familiar with them by now. Early refusal to scumhunt. Some general failure to do so without steady pushing. All this is bad for town whether it's done by town or scum, and indicates a player we don't really want in the game. So fairly strong case that we should lynch naturegirl.

IonMatrix: See above, minus bandwagoning, plus a doublepost here that really gives a "I don't care about finding the scum" vibe. Also, has been posting less content and becoming less helpful as time went on. I'd say that there's a stronger case for lynching IonMatrix over naturegirl. I think someone who thought noob-bandwagoning was a stronger scumtell might see it as being the other way round, but that's my two cents.

A more interesting case:

Superdorf: (who I was already voting, but I want to make it explicit that I'm interested in lynching them)

I'm not entirely sure how to express myself here, but there's something that just... off about some of the ways Superdorf has responded, like they're not really engaging with the actual content of the posts. For example, he'll respond by talking about what the post is talking about, but not precisely to the question. Or he'll interpret a remark in what I'd call the "least charitable" way - least charitable in terms of how much sense the phrase meant or how logical it was under that interpretation, not in terms of actual personal caritas!. This is all suggestive of someone being active but not really reading other people's posts.

Spoiler: examples (click to show/hide)

Furthermore, Superdorf did spin on a dime at one point, and while he explained his thought processes after I pressed him, I still find it suspicious.

Finally, and this is a bit underdeveloped so I'd prefer to let it play out more but the day's ending, Superdorf does seem a bit too friendly towards me. He's been acting as a bit of a bit of a buffer between me and Pooka over the last page or two, turning Pooka's reads on me into questions I can answer, questioning Pooka's attack on me... I'm not sure specifically why Super would do this as scum, but I can imagine reasons scum would want to, and no good reason for town to behave that way.

Superdorf did also massively swing round to my way of seeing things, or what he seems to think my way of seeing things was, in this post which I've already remarked upon.

All in all, one could consider this "Pocketing", to use a delightful term pooka just provided.

Afterthoughts: I do seem, to a certain extent, to have singled out the weaker players for lynching, perhaps excepting Superdorf. This is a pity, but perhaps unsurprising for D1. Furthermore, I think stronger players would be less likely to be lynched as scum d1, as they'll be very experienced at acting townie, while newer players would be more likely to give themselves away, so lynching the scummiest weak player might be ok on D1.

Also not sure if my case on Sup will have time to be discussed now. If we don't have time for it, I'm ok with an Ionmatrix lynch.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:44 am »

Also just checked IonMatrix's profile and his account hasn't been active in four days...

A pity, as they were so excited before the game started  :(
One wheel short of a wagon

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:54 am »

he'll interpret a remark in what I'd call the "least charitable" way - least charitable in terms of how much sense the phrase meant or how logical it was under that interpretation, not in terms of actual personal caritas!.
This is something I should probably work on... call it a holdover from RVS, I suppose. I start out these games interpreting everything as scummy so's to generate workable material, and... well, it's hard to know when to stop.

Pooka did specifically say why he found my coaching suspicious. Superdorf seems to be missing nuance, setting the conversation back half a response's worth of content or so.
Oh. Oh yeahh! I shoulda seen that. Thank you.

This is probably an example of the "least charitable interpreation" thing I mentioned earlier. It would be very strange for mathematical thinking, or claiming to be thinking mathematically to be a towntell in itself: it seems much more likely that Persus's read was mitigated.
"Mitigation of a read" and "slight towntell" are the same thing, yes?
...No I suppose not exactly. I still want the question answered, though.

Persus: How does "mathematical thinking" mitigate a scumread?

This one is perhaps more dubious, as of course I'm going to see my posts as communicating perfectly when in fact they're very likely to me misinterpreted due to poor writing. Nevertheless: here, I suggest that my post would have been one that benefited superdorf and explain why I think that. Superdorf responds by talking about what his "wonderful" was about, as if I might suspect a mafioso of giving way to involuntary ebullience in text form, and then adresses the fact that he was happy.

I didn't mean that he seemed happy. I meant that it looked like the post under discussion furthered his interests, from his behaviour. I explained why I thought this.

He does not respond at all to my suggestion, as part of a wider interpretation of his behaviour, that the post fitted his interests as scum. This is the dubious thing: It's as if he didn't consider this idea at all, as if he only looked at the word "happy" and went from there, meaning he made a response and looked like someone participating in the town process.
I understood you believed that post beneficial to me. I (mistakenly?) assumed you believed that due to my expressions of levity... so I attempted to explain my motivations behind said expressions of levity.
I'm trying to participate in the town process. I'm not very good at it.

Furthermore, Superdorf did spin on a dime at one point, and while he explained his thought processes after I pressed him, I still find it suspicious.
Yeah, I don't really have more to say on this matter. Tell me what exactly my explanation doesn't cover, and maybe I can do something about that.

Finally, and this is a bit underdeveloped so I'd prefer to let it play out more but the day's ending, Superdorf does seem a bit too friendly towards me. He's been acting as a bit of a bit of a buffer between me and Pooka over the last page or two, turning Pooka's reads on me into questions I can answer, questioning Pooka's attack on me... I'm not sure specifically why Super would do this as scum, but I can imagine reasons scum would want to, and no good reason for town to behave that way.
List some of those "reasons scum would want to," would you? I'm curious.
As for your "reason for town to behave that way"... I'm trying to facilitate conversation, and I'm poking Pooka on things because I'm curious about his reads and I want to understand them-- and by extension him-- better. Those are things town is supposed to do, yes?

Superdorf did also massively swing round to my way of seeing things, or what he seems to think my way of seeing things was, in this post which I've already remarked upon.
I do not believe my way of seeing things is like unto yours, and I don't think I did then. Your post then made me realize things didn't have to be the way I saw them, is all-- as I've explained. I started second-guessing myself.

All in all, one could consider this "Pocketing", to use a delightful term pooka just provided.
I'll admit I did kinda want to trust you early in the Day. I've got this unfortunate habit of singling out one person I've got a town-read on to bounce ideas off and whatnot-- I did something similar in my first game, it didn't go well for me, and I really shouldn't be doing it now. I'll reconsider.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Tea Mafia: Night One: First Meal
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2019, 10:00:53 am »

Quote from: Final votecount
Naturegirl1999: 4maskwolf (1)
IonMatrix: Superdorf, Naturegirl1999 (2)
Superdorf: NJW2000 (1)
Pooka: Persus13 (1)

No vote: Pooka, IonMatrix

Accusations flew many ways, but in the end one stranger was deemed slightly stranger than the others, if not by much.

They were questioned, interrogated. Their pockets were searched, frisked. A number of items pointed to them being a true charlatan, certainly a sinner. Surely, removing them from the ceremony would fulfil the hanging scroll’s command?

Suddenly, the stranger’s eyes brightened as if a weight was taken off their shoulders. The stranger stood up, left their belongings where they were and walked out of the room to reaches unknown.

But as the stranger shut the door as they left, the host arrived to show the guests into the tea room for the first part of the ceremony, a meal. The part was carefully choreographed, and to speak or act out of line would be unthinkable… or would it?

IonMatrix has been lynched!

Quote from: Roleflip
IonMatrix was a Town Macho Tracker!

Once per night, you may choose to learn whom another player used their action on (“visited”) (but not what that action was).
No ability can protect you from kills.

You win when at least one Town player is alive and no Mafia or Serial Killer player is alive.

Quote from: Sample result
Your target visited IcyTea31.

You are an experienced grifter. You know to focus on the eyes and hands of others to catch them in the act of any con. This focus may backfire on you, however...

Night One has begun. It will end on 2019-08-28 15:00 UTC. Please send your actions.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 10:03:08 am by IcyTea31 »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2019, 10:01:48 am »

The meal went as it always did. Well, except for one of the strangers storming out, spouting confessions about consorting with dark powers. Nevertheless, it was again time to wait and mingle, though the tension between the strangers would likely soon snap again...

4maskwolf has been killed!

Quote from: Roleflip
They were a Town Indecisive Doctor!

Once per night, you may choose to protect another player from all kills that night.
You cannot use your action on the same player two nights in a row.

You win when at least one Town player is alive and no Mafia or Serial Killer player is alive.

You are a magician. With a ritual, you can hide others from spiritual influence. This act of hubris is dangerous for the recipient, however, and cannot be performed too often.

Day Two has begun.

Quote from: Votecount
Not voting: Naturegirl1999, Superdorf, NJW2000, Pooka, Persus13

Day Two ends on 2019-09-02 15:00 UTC.
Extension is available, requiring 3 votes.
Hammering becomes available on 2019-08-29 15:00 UTC, and will require 3 votes.

IonMatrix has asked me to disclose that their absence was due to their parents taking away their computer time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:03:22 am by IcyTea31 »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2019, 10:15:56 am »

Oh. OH
Gahhhh

T'was a RL issue. Of course it was a RL issue. I... mmph. Okay I'll need to look things over again.
First tho, I'm gonna disclose my learnings from this night, 'cos information is good:

Somebody used a roleblock action on me...
...and Naturegirl1999 "visited" me in the night.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2019, 10:17:34 am »

Actually. Now I really wanna know.
IcyTea: Is it possible for a town member to be a roleblocker in this setup?

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2019, 10:20:06 am »

I must not have been the only visitor, I protected you last night

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:03 am »

GAH. Why would you say that?
Ahh I shouldn't have said anything now there's information out that shouldn't be out!

Mmm unless you're lying about this... but somehow I don't think you're lying about this...
I'm gonna go re-read some stuff; I need thinking time.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2019, 10:47:29 am »

Re-reading. Thoughts so far:
- I sound like an idiot.
- I act like an idiot.
- IonMatrix really did just get flustered... and not even as much so as I'd thought, 'cos that absence of his was forced!
- I'm inclined to peg Naturegirl as noobtown, for the time being-- especially after IonMatrix's lynch.
- NJW2000 is giving me bad vibes now, and I don't know why. I'm worried I'm just reacting to his pressure on me... I'll look into the matter, but I shouldn't try to lynch on it. Yet.

Oh. Also, to the newer folk:
This is LyLo. Do not vote somebody unless we've all already agreed that person is scum-- if even a single town member votes another townie, the two-person scumteam (assuming it is a two-person scumteam) can use their own votes to hammer that townie immediately-- game over!

If you must put pressure on somebody, put their name in bold, blue text. This is a "Finger of Suspicion"-- "FoS" for short-- and indicates intent to lynchvote, without actually lynchvoting.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2019, 10:47:56 am »

And with that, I continue my re-read...

klonk
Sigtext

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
  • Deleting things since 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2019, 10:49:59 am »

Somebody used a roleblock action on me...
...and Naturegirl1999 "visited" me in the night.

How do you know Naturegirl visited you, but not who roleblocked you?

Also darn, I'm sorry IonMatrix had to deal with that.
Code: [Select]
> os.delete("real_life.py")

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2019, 10:58:13 am »

I was told "you got roleblocked" and "Naturegirl visited you" separately. They're likely related? I dunno.

IcyTea: Do we normally get told when somebody visits us?

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27