Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Vanilla Tea Mafia: TOWN VICTORY  (Read 55834 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Tea Mafia: Day One: A Hanging Scroll
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2019, 06:51:49 pm »

Naturegirl: Do you think Persus is particularly likely to be lynched today? If there weren't three votes on him, how would your answer change?
I’ve given thought, and changed my vote to 4maskwolf, since he seemed eager to get votes in early

@superdorf
I answered the question about the number M because I thought that question would be simply fun to answer

@4maskwolf
How do you think the letter 43 tastes?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2019, 07:01:33 pm »

@4maskedwolf
A more important question
Why do you think random voting is a good idea? There’s a good chance that if we lynch we end up lynching a townie by mistake, unless that’s what you want

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2019, 08:21:08 pm »

I am (for the time being) satisfied. Unvote.
It's getting late around here. I'll be looking at this with fresh eyes tomorrow.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »

Alright, let's take it from the top.  And by "the top" I mean "reverse chronological order"
I am (for the time being) satisfied. Unvote.
It's getting late around here. I'll be looking at this with fresh eyes tomorrow.
Oh?  And what, pray tell, satisfied you.

@4maskedwolf
Why do you think random voting is a good idea? There’s a good chance that if we lynch we end up lynching a townie by mistake, unless that’s what you want
I didn't say this.  However, it's exactly as everyone else has said: in the early game, the votes are less for actually lynching people and more for applying pressure.  If you can make someone feel pressured, they may crack and do something that gives them away.

It's not a great, reliable, or even particularly useful strategy, but lacking any information at the start of the game it's about the best that can be done until something interesting happens.

@4maskwolf
How do you think the letter 43 tastes?
I'm not going to dignify this with any response other than "don't follow the leader on asking lolrandom questions".

4Mask4Wolf: You "don't have much in the way of scumreads". Does anyone read to you as town yet? Do you even think about people as reading town, or just not-scum?
I do think about reading people as town, in the sense that I think about it to avoid it under most circumstances.  I've seen way, way too many people burned on reading someone as town and then hard defending them only for them to be mafia, and pulled the same trick on people before as scum. I prefer to find scum than find town: more useful.

And no, to answer your first question, I don't have any townreads yet.

IonMatrix, why are you fishing for roles?  In a closed setup it's easy for the scum to fakeclaim something difficult to disprove (hell, they could claim cop and it'd be hard to prove they weren't one since all their "reads" would be accurate), and unless it would turn out the town has a broken role combination at this point knowing the existent power roles benefits the scum more than town, as it will tell them who to kill and what to watch out for.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2019, 09:50:33 pm »

@superdorf
@4maskwolf
@persus13
I’m new and got confysed about the purpose of RVS. I unvote persus13 and 4maskwolf. I am simply concerned about us accidentally lynching a town member, since if a town member is lynch d along with a night kill, then that’s two less town on day2

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2019, 09:53:25 pm »

Let's say Persus were lynched right now, and flipped town. Who would you be chasing down D2, if anyone? What if Persus flipped scum?
If he were lynched right now and flipped town? Then I'd be upset, as we wouldn't have moved out of RVS stage. For the same reason, I probably wouldn't be chasing anyone: I wouldn't have strong enough reads. Naturegirl would be suspicious, I guess, as jumping on
I suppose if Persus were lynched by hammer right now and flipped town, I'd be looking to lynch the hammerer. Seeing as hammering early is generally bad and all, because deprives town of info, etc, etc.
I'd be suspicious of naturegirl too, seeing as she's a)joined a bandwagon and b) see below.
But I wouldn't be chasing anyone other than the hammerer, really, I'd just be trying to pressure and develop reads.

If he were lynched right now and flipped scum, I'd be happier. I'm not sure I'd chase the hammerer for hammering per se, seeing as scum usually wouldn't hammer one another. Usually. I'd be less suspicious of Naturegirl if this had happened, I think.

Would have been funny to hammer Persus for teh lulz there. Especially if he flipped scum. Probably a good thing we didn't though  :P

Naturegirl: Do you think Persus is particularly likely to be lynched today? If there weren't three votes on him, how would your answer change?
I’ve given thought, and changed my vote to 4maskwolf, since he seemed eager to get votes in early
This doesn't really answer my question. Generally, town players will answer the questions they are asked, rather than try to slip away from pressure, naturegirl.

@4maskedwolf

[4mask]
said that it’s random vote stage and that I should be voting. I thought it would be better to wait before potentially killing town
This is just highly bizarre. 4maskedwolf didn't say this, as he proves in the post above mine. The only reason I can imagine for someone making this post is that they were scum, and were trying to gaslight town, but had forgotten that people can read previous pages of the thread. I have trouble believing someone would make that mistake, but it's the only sensible explanation I can think of.

Can you talk us through what went into this post? What was even going through your head?

I guess I'll ask a question then.

Everyone, do you think that there is a over-powered role we might be using?
What does this mean? Do I think there is a very powerful town role that we can use to beat the scum? Do I think that the game might be actually unbalanced due to a role? Do I think we are already using a passive or day-activatable ability that is very powerful?

You're asking a question which looks like it might generate a lot of discussion, but you haven't actually phrased it precisely enough to say anything. This suggests that you don't care about the answer. I find this rather suspicious, apart from any possibility that you're rolefishing here. If you actually want the question answered, please do clarify it.

4Mask4Wolf: You "don't have much in the way of scumreads". Does anyone read to you as town yet? Do you even think about people as reading town, or just not-scum?
I do think about reading people as town, in the sense that I think about it to avoid it under most circumstances.  I've seen way, way too many people burned on reading someone as town and then hard defending them only for them to be mafia, and pulled the same trick on people before as scum. I prefer to find scum than find town: more useful.

And no, to answer your first question, I don't have any townreads yet.
I like this answer. Or rather, both answers. Saying this restricts your options if you're scum, as I'll be on you like a ton of bricks if you claim to townread someone. Also, scum can easily post a couple of townreads on town players, and would be tempted to post townreads on their scumbuddy.

While I think your policy of avoiding reading people as town is a good one, I do try to remember town-flavoured behaviour as well as scum-flavoured posts. This tasted townie to me.

One wheel short of a wagon

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2019, 10:04:50 pm »

To the first question, about how voting would change if Perseus didn’t have votes on Nima.
I don’t know, maybe Superdorf? Lots of questions that possibly could be better answered later?

To the second question, I simply misinterpreted what 4maskwolf was saying. I misunderstood that the RVS isn’t actually voting. As such, the nonvotes were removed.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2019, 10:50:35 pm »

@NJW2000
About whether Perseus is likely to be lynched, maybe, maybe not. Leaning towards a no, since random lunching is usually bad

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:16 pm »

To the first question, about how voting would change if Perseus didn’t have votes on Nima.
I don’t know, maybe Superdorf? Lots of questions that possibly could be better answered later?

My question wasn't about how voting would change if Persus didn't have votes on him(?). It was about whether or not you thought Persus was likely to be lynched, and how your predictions would change if people weren't voting for him. I was interested in how you thought RVS stage votes affected the lynch. I think that careful reading might be an issue here. Do you want to answer the question?

Edit, you posted while I was writing this.

@NJW2000
About whether Perseus is likely to be lynched, maybe, maybe not. Leaning towards a no, since random lunching is usually bad
Alright then. If we want to have anything other than a random lynching, it's time to start scumhunting: looking at people's behaviour, seeing what might be suspicious about it.

To the second question, I simply misinterpreted what 4maskwolf was saying. I misunderstood that the RVS isn’t actually voting. As such, the nonvotes were removed.
To remove votes, you have to write unvote in red. If you don't write in red, you can't change what your vote is doing. They aren't mechanically non-votes by the way, someone could still be lynched via votes cast in the the RVS stage.

What post exactly did you misinterpret? 4mask collated his posts a little way above. I don't think he mentions RVS.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2019, 11:06:55 pm »

Naturegirl1999
"Hoping not to die" is all well and good, but that alone is gonna get you exactly nowhere. Unless you're scum. You don't exactly have much to go on at the moment, but who is most suspicious to you right now? Failing that, who would you most like to hear from? Put a vote on that person, so's they notice you, and ask them some questions. You'll not get the answers you need any other way.

This is RVS (Random Vote Stage), so your questions don't even need to be particularly good questions! Here, I'll demonstrate.
Gonna be honest, I have no idea.  I haven't played a full game of mafia here in years, so I honestly forget how me and Persus's interactions used to go.
Welcome back, then!  :D
How rusty would you say you are? Can you still lead us all in circles, like in olden days?

PPE: Oop, new thingummy from 4maskwolf... I'll answer next post
Lead us all in circles... is this a thing I have a reputation for, or just an assumption about veteran players?

As for rusty, I suppose we'll see.  I'd definitely like to say I've matured as a person (thank goodness, me back then... ugh) but how that will affect my play remains to be seen.
Here it is

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2019, 11:54:03 pm »

Great. I ask one question and now everyone is suspicious of me.
*ahem*
I think superdorf said that since this is day one, my questions don't have to be good (although I think my question doesn't really fit that description). Yes, I didn't put much thought into that question. I just asked that question to generate some discussion, though clearly I failed. I just get a little... twitchy when people don't post every second, sorry.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2019, 12:43:40 am »

Naturegirl1999
"Hoping not to die" is all well and good, but that alone is gonna get you exactly nowhere. Unless you're scum. You don't exactly have much to go on at the moment, but who is most suspicious to you right now? Failing that, who would you most like to hear from? Put a vote on that person, so's they notice you, and ask them some questions. You'll not get the answers you need any other way.

This is RVS (Random Vote Stage), so your questions don't even need to be particularly good questions! Here, I'll demonstrate.
Gonna be honest, I have no idea.  I haven't played a full game of mafia here in years, so I honestly forget how me and Persus's interactions used to go.
Welcome back, then!  :D
How rusty would you say you are? Can you still lead us all in circles, like in olden days?

PPE: Oop, new thingummy from 4maskwolf... I'll answer next post
Lead us all in circles... is this a thing I have a reputation for, or just an assumption about veteran players?

As for rusty, I suppose we'll see.  I'd definitely like to say I've matured as a person (thank goodness, me back then... ugh) but how that will affect my play remains to be seen.
Here it is

OK then... this is a post by 4mask that quotes a post by superdorf:

And this is the original post from Superdorf:

And superdorf does, in this post, advise you to use your RVS vote. Sigh.

Right. So that wasn't a lie, just a confusion about how the forum displays posts. Fair enough, distinguishing nested quotes can be tricky. Still worried about naturegirl, but they're not an outright liar.

Hm... that was a wild goose chase.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2019, 07:26:10 am »

Yes, It was Superdorf’s post, quoted by 4maskwolf, sorry for the confusion.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2019, 07:52:28 am »

Yes, It was Superdorf’s post, quoted by 4maskwolf, sorry for the confusion.
That's fine, we all do that sort of thing from time to time. I'm glad that's cleared up, I'd hate to lynch on the basis of a misunderstanding. Even if you're scum, it wouldn't lead to what I'd consider a fun game.

Great. I ask one question and now everyone is suspicious of me.
Try asking more questions.

I think superdorf said that since this is day one, my questions don't have to be good
Superdorf may be correct, but it is however quite important that your questions not be bad ones. Perhaps I was a little harsh about clarity, but the people accusing you of rolefishing still make a serious point.

Yes, I didn't put much thought into that question. I just asked that question to generate some discussion, though clearly I failed. I just get a little... twitchy when people don't post every second, sorry.
Twitchiness is very much understandable, we all get that way sometimes. And your question certainly generated discussion of one kind.

IonMatrix: Persus, 4maskwolf and Superdorf are arguably the strongest players here experienced in the bay12 meta. Can you see any imperfections, oddities or slips in their play thus far that might be a clue to scum or 3rd party alignment?

Superdorf: do you think we are still in the RVS? Why/why not?
Has something happened?

Goodnight all. And don't worry too much about this, it's just a game.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2019, 10:00:40 am »

Hammers are now active.

Quote from: Votecount
Naturegirl1999: NJW2000 (1)
IonMatrix: 4maskwolf (1)
4maskwolf: Naturegirl1999 (1)
Persus13: Pooka (1)

Not voting: Superdorf, IonMatrix, Persus13

Day One ends on 2019-08-22 15:00 UTC.
Extension is available, requiring 4 votes.
Hammering is available, requiring 5 votes.

If your vote isn't where it should be, please inform me so I can fix it as soon as possible.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27