Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Fresh_Meat_746: Surviving with the Internet (SG)  (Read 12145 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh_Meat_746: Surviving with the Internet (SG)
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2019, 11:12:27 am »

Quote from: notinfectedyet
Yeah I have heard about some unusual cults out there among the sub threads.  Hopefully most of those are tall tales.

As for a weapon a war pick or war hammer or mace is often the best for someone untrained.

Get a light weight but sturdy metal pipe and duct tape something heavy on the end, something spiked on one side and flat on the other.  The weight at the end is important not the weight of the pole as long as it will not bend or break.  Make sure it is light weight enough to swing around without tiring yourself out. 

Then practice hitting some boxes off shelves as hard as you can.  Remember to follow through if you have played baseball or golf or something, you do not stop the swing at the head but keep going through it.  This will give you a good idea about how much you can swing it around before tiring out and some muscle memory practice so when the real thing happens you'll be... well you wont really be prepared but as best you can be.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quote from: MTZS
most of what he said is sound, but a few things arn’t okay:
DON’T practice here. the reason is that it will make a TON of noise, especially if you hit the wrong box or send it flying. Noise is one of the things you wanna avoid, remember?
DON’T use duct tape as the binding for the head of your weapon under ANY circumstance. if the tape gives way, that spiked and/or heavy object might strike you as it comes off.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2019, 04:54:09 pm »

Quote from: notinfectedyet
Oh yeah listen to MTZS about those two things.  Sorry, howlers have been keeping me up for too long, not thinking all that well.

A unlooted hardware store would be great for someone more handy but it sounds like you aren't so stick with the supplies and a metal pipe.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2019, 10:37:47 am »

Quote from: anonymoushuman
Fashion gangs aren’t a thing. People are focused on survival, not fashion. You said there are gardening supplies? What types? Scythes? Sickles? Stakes? Sharp items are handy.

Uh, yes to everything but the scythe? At least it looks like it. And like rakes and those scissor things, shovels, pickaxes, dirt, wheelbarrows, all that kinda stuff. A couple of plants and seeds and things too. Also a couple of pocket knives and a couple of machetes, lawnmower blades, and barbed wire if we're talking sharp things in general.

So use ducttape for handles but not heads...Ok. It looks like we got both pipes and rebar here, I could go either way if I'm not picking up something else. We got a bunch of duct tape here, I could probably cover the whole weapon if I wanted to.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2019, 12:47:21 pm »

”I’d still argue for picking rebar, but pipe will work too as long as it’s steel and not copper. Rebar will bend less than pipe when you’re hitting stuff with it, but if you’re really sure you can’t handle solid metal, 1/2-3/4 inch pipe does decently too.  remember, the ideal length is 4-5 feet, so you have reach as well as power. that extra length translates into a stronger swing if you keep your distance and hit them with or near the tip of your makeshift bludgeon. 4-5 feet allows you to still swing it in tight quarters while maximizing the force of your strike when in the open.

I am surprised that the trope of using machetes as a weapon against zombies has been ignored. Yes, they’re not the best weapon due to the fact it’s meant for things softer than a zombie skull, but a good machete has far more utility against animals (provided they’re not also zombies somehow) and hostile survivors.”
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2019, 06:25:05 pm »

How big are the shovels? Pickaxes can possibly stab into the skull and help break through rock. Though you would have to pick either the shovel or the pickaxe depending on whether you want a blunt weapon or a stabbing weapon. Take some plants and seeds too for farming at some point and food

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2019, 05:57:28 am »

How big are the shovels? Pickaxes can possibly stab into the skull and help break through rock. Though you would have to pick either the shovel or the pickaxe depending on whether you want a blunt weapon or a stabbing weapon. Take some plants and seeds too for farming at some point and food
I doubt he's gonna be sticking out in the wilds long enough to need to farm anything, also a pickaxe isn't going to be a good thing to fight with because it might get stuck the zombies and leave you with out a weapon.

Also I think you should grab one of the machetes and some of the duck tape because tape is always useful.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2019, 06:48:19 am »

I doubt he's gonna be sticking out in the wilds long enough to need to farm anything, also a pickaxe isn't going to be a good thing to fight with because it might get stuck the zombies and leave you with out a weapon.

Also I think you should grab one of the machetes and some of the duck tape because tape is always useful.
Fair points. Would a shovel still work as a blunt weapon?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2019, 07:03:22 am »

Fair points. Would a shovel still work as a blunt weapon?
A shovel will work, not as good as somethings but better than nothing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2019, 07:06:51 am »

I am surprised that the trope of using machetes as a weapon against zombies has been ignored. Yes, they’re not the best weapon due to the fact it’s meant for things softer than a zombie skull, but a good machete has far more utility against animals (provided they’re not also zombies somehow) and hostile survivors.”

Quote from: Rifledorf314
Ya know why we're ignoring that trope? We're ignoring that trope 'cos it's really really hard to cut flesh with a machete. Sure, the thing can be done with a real sharp machete and a ton of practice-- but a blade fresh out of the hardware store and a kid who's never struck to kill in his life? It'd never work.

Grab a pickaxe, like anonymoushuman said. Nice little geologist's pick, the one-handed kind. They're fairly light, and you don't need much training to drive a spike like that through somebody's skull!

Also, maybe check... does this place have a section for hunting gear? If so, you're golden.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2019, 07:11:10 am »

Quote from: Rifledorf314
Also, maybe check... does this place have a section for hunting gear? If so, you're golden.
I doubt it, sounds like he's in Home Depot or something like that, they don't usually have anything like that.

Actually I just thought of a item that will work, a crowbar its similar to rebar but it can also pry open doors and other things.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:17:25 am by King Zultan »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2019, 08:38:19 am »

Depending on the kind of hardware store this is, they may be carrying some heavy duty satchels or rucksacks, the kind workmen might keep their tools in. Would be much more useful for you than carting your stuff around in a plastic bin bag.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2019, 08:49:42 am »

Depending on the kind of hardware store this is, they may be carrying some heavy duty satchels or rucksacks, the kind workmen might keep their tools in. Would be much more useful for you than carting your stuff around in a plastic bin bag.
+1

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2019, 10:07:44 am »

”Don’t get cross with me Rifledorf, i’m not saying it’s a bad thing for that trope to be avoided. What i am saying however, is that a machete is more useful when the enemy being fought is not undead. it’s down to his judgement if he thinks bandits or wild animals are likely to be a problem.”

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2019, 10:15:40 am »

Quote from: Rifedorf314
No crossness intended! It's just... those things are made for chopping wood not limbs. They're not actually all that sharp; you'd need a lot of practice and a good sharpening stone to really hurt anything with one, living or no. It's much easier to just hit things with a pick, yes?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2019, 11:15:55 am »

Quote from: Rifedorf314
No crossness intended! It's just... those things are made for chopping wood not limbs. They're not actually all that sharp; you'd need a lot of practice and a good sharpening stone to really hurt anything with one, living or no. It's much easier to just hit things with a pick, yes?
”It’s not so much a matter of sharpness as it is the usage. arguably a pick like what you are suggesting is harder to use even if it is more effective against the undead, because you’re having to close the distance a little further to get a good strike in.
when it comes to zombies, distance is your friend because depending on the infection type, all it really takes is a bite at best, and a scratch at worst. Getting up close and personal for any reason is basically suicide, hence why i suggested the rebar.

Machetes are not a good choice of weapon in these circumstances because while they can inflict wounds to bleed someone out quite easily, blood is a vector for most diseases and zombies arn't likely to feel the effects of blood loss until they’ve already taken a chunk out of your arm. this limits their combat usage to the living, and special circumstances where the zombies need blood to survive in the very short term. and no, i’m not talking about vampires, those are an entirely different breed of bloodsucker.”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9