Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Fresh_Meat_746: Surviving with the Internet (SG)  (Read 12127 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Fresh_Meat_746: Surviving with the Internet (SG)
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:51:01 pm »

Web 3.0 hit, a major revolution in internet availability and connectivity arrived one day with much fanfare. Groups of satellites networked together to allow high-speed internet worldwide, even in rural areas with little or no infrastructure to support it. Advances in data structure meant that even if the Earth faced a worldwide apocalypse, the satellite network would allow the internet to exist unimpeded.

Which is a good thing too. Since that has already happened.

As a popular cliche, many of the now-survivors where ready for a zombie invasion (even if it was just fantasizing about how they would survive). Nobody ever thought it would happen of course, and the logistics of how and why are the major topic of conspiracy boards to this day. Which is to say one week after it started, just in time for it to hit basically...everywhere. Walking dead walking the streets. As the one eventuality basically everyone is prepared for, everyone has something to offer to everyone else. With the power of the Internet, all those people are just a click away. You can get advice on medicine, food, weapons, survival strategies, places and people to avoid, useful organizations...if there is something you want to know, someone will have an opinion on it. Someone like you!

More specifically, literally and actually you! In this game, you take on the duty of forumers on stillalive.com, the most popular post-apocalyptic forum available to the general public. The protagonist, the titular Fresh_Meat_746, is a naive individual taking your freely-given advice. They're probably the one person who hasn't even bothered fantasizing about the now-current state of the world. In short, they're clueless with no applicable skills at all. They'll definitely die without your advice, and will probably listen to whatever people tell them to do. If they arn't dead, they will continue posting with status updates asking for more advice and the story will continue. In short, a gimmicky SG in a zombie land with internet connection.

Well, let's start!
---------------------------------

Subforum: Rules
Thread: Rules (MOD_TEAM)
Just because they have anarchy out there doesn't mean we let that fly here. This is the list of rules and guidelines all are expected to abide by.
0) Listen to the Mods. Mod voice is in red. Failure to comply with modvoice will result in punishment depending on the severity, including but not limited to a warning, ban, and swift execution at the hands of our moderation team.
1) Hide your powerlevel. Mods won't stop you, just be smart about doxing yourself. Bad guys read this too. Don't post anything that could be dangerous to you unless you can handle danger. Location is a biggie, if you must send your location do it to trusted persons through DM. Zombies can't read, but there are other brain-dead monsters out there.
2) USE THE APPROPRIATE SUBFORUM! We've had it with group recruiters and 18+ adds spamming up the advice pages. This is really what we added the "execution" option for.
3) No autoplay videos. No fake out screamers, pointlessly blasted dubstep, and other "ear rape" are all BANNED. They weren't even funny before. Now they just attract zombies.
4) Remember your deadiquette. Not much point in having a password on your phone anymore, if you come across a corpse with an account here be sure to post their cause of death in the Death subforum from their account. We'd probably figure it out when they never post again, but piece of mind is nice.
5) Emergency subforum is for things that will kill you in 30 minutes or less. We get it, starving to death is an emergency too, but our 24/7 quick response advice can only work if we limit it to the zombie-at-the-door problems.
6)....

Subforum: General_Advice
Thread: Please Help! (Fresh_Meat_746)

Help help HELP! I was trying to get somewhere safe by plane, but we had to make a quick stop in uh, a city. A city that had a lot of people. A lot of people who are now hungry for brains. Turns out the quick stop turned into an overnight delay. I guess the stop must have been taken over by zombies too? Anyway, they put me in a hotel for the night. I see zombies out my window, but I'm on the fourth floor. I'm OK, at least right now. But I have NO IDEA what to do! I'm basically curled up in the bathroom hoping that someone, anyone can help me. I have no idea how to even start not dying. Please, please, please help me!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh_Meat_746: Surviving with the Internet (SG)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »

This is wonderful. I'm not at all sufficiently schooled in the genre to properly play, but I'll be watching with great amusement. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 07:04:34 pm »

OK dude, don't panic, this has happened to like a million people, we get newbs here all the time in exactly your situation.

First thing to do is barricade the apartment door with a big piece of furniture, quietly. Too much noise attracts the dead-heads, ya dig?

Then its time to loot the apartment, see what resources you got. Check everything, just like any survival game. You've played some of those, right?

Lust_4_life87
One wheel short of a wagon

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 07:06:25 pm »

P.T.W
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:30:50 pm »

Quote from: SpecieSept
Few questions to get bearings on our friend's situation.
1) Is the building you're in still held by the living?
2) Is anyone else with you, or accessible to you?
3) How close to the city center is your hotel?
4) Do you have any particular skills?
As for immediate advice, I'd suggest drawing the curtains on your windows, and locking your door. Remember to look around for things you can use -- minibar, bathroom cupboards, under the bed, that sort of thing.

Lastly, don't let your head get foggy, and remember to stay calm. Your noggin's the single most important thing you can take care of, both in the physical and mental sense. Later on, look up some breathing exercises.

Avanti!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 08:02:26 pm »

PTW, might offer advice to the redshirt that the players are giving advice to. I'm totally qualified, as I'm an experienced GMod zombie survival sweaty tryhard.
it's over

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 08:07:01 pm »

If you don't feel like making your own posts, you can still +1 like in other games (representing the forum's internal upvote/downvote systems). Fresh_Meat will naturally assume that the most upvoted idea is the best.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 08:57:48 pm »

Quote from: IC reply to FM746
So, you're trapped in a hotel, and there are zombies nearby. I can give you the short answer as to how this will play out, as well as the long answer.

Short: You're fucked, so I'm throwing you a pre-emptive F.

Long: You should probably grab a piece of furniture, and block off the door.

Check for anything that can be used as a weapon, like a sharp knife.

Avoid getting hit by any undead/hostile survivors at all costs.

If you can find a pole of some kind (the sturdier the better), knife, and some duct tape, you can make a makeshift spear which will be a lot safer for cutting through undead than an ordinary knife, since a knife duct taped to a pole will allow you to safely inflict stab wounds on stuff from a bit longer range.

Search for supplies.

Just don't be an idiot in general.

-0cra
it's over

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 09:58:50 pm »

OK dude, don't panic, this has happened to like a million people, we get newbs here all the time in exactly your situation.

First thing to do is barricade the apartment door with a big piece of furniture, quietly. Too much noise attracts the dead-heads, ya dig?

Then its time to loot the apartment, see what resources you got. Check everything, just like any survival game. You've played some of those, right?

Lust_4_life87

Thanks for the reply Just_4! Just having some replies is helping immensely! Should I go downstairs and try for the hotel's doors, or just throw my bed in front of my room door? Survival games are like minecraft right? I've played that before! It had some zombies in it, I think!

Ah, lets see...I have...curtains, bed sheets...a mirror, the water isn't running, the power is out...I have to use my phone for light...shower curtains...a couple of wooden drawers, a chair, and a desk. A TV too! There is a small fridge, but it is empty.

Few questions to get bearings on our friend's situation.
1) Is the building you're in still held by the living?
2) Is anyone else with you, or accessible to you?
3) How close to the city center is your hotel?
4) Do you have any particular skills?
As for immediate advice, I'd suggest drawing the curtains on your windows, and locking your door. Remember to look around for things you can use -- minibar, bathroom cupboards, under the bed, that sort of thing.

Lastly, don't let your head get foggy, and remember to stay calm. Your noggin's the single most important thing you can take care of, both in the physical and mental sense. Later on, look up some breathing exercises.

I'll try to answer if it helps you help me!

1) I think so, there where some screams upstairs earlier but I think they were just looking outside. The street is really noisy right now, I can't tell if anything got in yet. There are a couple of people stomping outside my door, they sound fast and have some talking so I think they're people at least.
2) Nobody I know, since I was traveling alone. There are still other people in the building though!
3) Um, I don't really want to give away my location, but my GPS says it would probably take an hour to get of the city on foot, I look close to the edge.
4) Nothing that would help here! I'm pretty fast at typing things on my phone. I can also read pretty fast.

OK! Curtains are shut, I've latched the door. We have those electric key-card things, but it looks like they have batteries or something and still work. I think it is still locked. Um, I found some toilet paper in the bathroom cupboard, but nothing else is new.

Quote from: IC reply to FM746
So, you're trapped in a hotel, and there are zombies nearby. I can give you the short answer as to how this will play out, as well as the long answer.

Short: You're fucked, so I'm throwing you a pre-emptive F.

Long: You should probably grab a piece of furniture, and block off the door.

Check for anything that can be used as a weapon, like a sharp knife.

Avoid getting hit by any undead/hostile survivors at all costs.

If you can find a pole of some kind (the sturdier the better), knife, and some duct tape, you can make a makeshift spear which will be a lot safer for cutting through undead than an ordinary knife, since a knife duct taped to a pole will allow you to safely inflict stab wounds on stuff from a bit longer range.

Search for supplies.

Just don't be an idiot in general.

-0cra

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGODIWASDOINGSOWELLDONTDROPTHAT ON ME

Ok, OK, phone screaming is quieter than IRL screaming. Ok, so blocking doors is good. But like Lust_4, should I just block my own door or the entire hotel?

Don't really have any knives or anything sharp. Most of my stuff is still on the airplane, and they still won't let you bring sharp objects. I don't know if they'd let you bring duct tape, but I don't have any with me anyway. For a pole I have...the shower curtain or curtain rod I guess. Would that work?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 10:07:10 pm »

...Alright y'know what I need to suggest stuff. This amuses me too much for me to just watch it happen.
Quote from: Rifledorf314
Eh, sure, hang onto the curtain rod. It's not great, but it's better than nothing I guess-- you could shove a zombie out a window with it or whatever, if you had to.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 04:40:38 am »

Survival games are like minecraft right? I've played that before! It had some zombies in it, I think!
Oh dear.

Ok, sounds like you don't have much in the room. That's bad luck, but you need to make the best of what you've got. Unless you're wearing a couple of layers on your arms and legs, you're going to want to tear some strips off the bedsheets. Don't worry about the hotel bill. Trust me, there's not gonna be one. Ok, you need to wrap those strips around your arms and legs, not too tight, but tight enough that they stay on. This is your last line of defence against biters, and it's not much, but it might save your life. Plus, strips like that can be used for makeshift bandages and crafting tools.

Next, you're going to have to take some deep breaths, and leave the room. Don't worry brah, you can do this. There might be some level of organisation in your building still, in which case you'll have to play that by ear. I'd say cooperation is usually the best method when it comes to survivor groups, but it's your call, man.

If there's noone outside, first thing to do is explore the hotel quietly, checking exits, staying away from windows. You're going to want to have a look for food in the kitchen, unless you fancy eating people. There's a couple of guides for group cannibalism on the Guides subforum btw, but let's try and not let it get to that stage.

Lust_4_Life87
One wheel short of a wagon

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 07:04:44 am »

Quote from: 0cra_tr0per
Quote from: Rifledorf314
Eh, sure, hang onto the curtain rod. It's not great, but it's better than nothing I guess-- you could shove a zombie out a window with it or whatever, if you had to.
I second this. Swinging the curtain rod at a zombie's head should at least disrupt whatever it's doing, and makes a good blunt weapon as well.
it's over

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 09:03:46 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 01:28:16 pm »

PTW.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 04:09:27 pm »

I agree with Life87 up there. Try to use one of the dowels as a weapon, and remember -- swing into the skull to kill them. As for anti-bite advice, if you run across some glossy magazines, tie them onto your forearms as bracers. Quite difficult for them to bite through.

If the door has a peephole, use it before you step out. Information is key. By the way, in case you run into a Zack/Zed/Zombie/Infected/Walker, fight them only as a last resort, and only one at a time.

Avanti!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9