- 1 (6.7%)
- 5 (33.3%)
- 6 (40%)
- 0 (0%)
Potato
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 83

Author Topic: Surviving in an Alien World [Suggestion Game]  (Read 106717 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Surviving in an Alien World [Suggestion Game]
« Reply #990 on: February 16, 2020, 10:48:59 am »

Someone is going to find this place sooner or later. And when they do, they might start searching for you. It's what happened last time, with Graad. The security force looked all over for you and you were lucky enough to not be found. If they search for you again... You know! You'll just have to let them know that this one killed a human and was going to kill you too. They certainly can't fault you for killing someone like that. If anything, they should thank you for doing their job.

You use some of his blood to write the characters for "MURDERER" next to what little is left of his body, on a still dry part of the carpet. The fabric soaks easily, making the lines you draw expand, threatening to merge together. You draw the characters larger to compensate and end up covering the entire length of the carpet with them.

You are in the middle of wiping your claws on the carpet when a thought occurs to you: they should also know who aided them in their work. Some way you could identify yourself, if you ever come face to face with them. Not the name Ali and Eiwhyl use for you. Something else. After some thought, you use your claws to carve the three characters for "LEAF" on the floor next to the carpet. You're not really sure why you chose that name. The only place you've seen leaves is in Ali's pictures and in your dreams. From what you know they're nothing like you. Small, numerous, colorful, stationary, falling, at the mercy of the whims of the wind... Hmm. Maybe that last part has a bit in common with you, though you hate to admit it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With your investigation finished it's time to make your way to someplace safe, and quickly. You find a way to open the window in the sleeping room and somehow manage to squeeze through it. You fly away, constantly beating your wings, flying with a speed you've never had before. You hope people on the ground won't notice you if you're fast enough. Somehow you know they are there.

By the time it takes you to fly all the way to Eiwhyl's Clinic the fire within you has been almost completely consumed, the emptiness it leaves quickly being replaced by pain and exhaustion. After a graceless landing you stumble through the hallway, looking for Eiwhyl.
"Eiwhyl!"
She comes running from the front desk.
"Draggy?"
"Help."
"What is going on? What happened?" she asks as she helps you remove your pack and then moves to put herself below you, helping support your body as you move.
"The fire in me. Again. It hurts."
"Okay. It'll be fine. Just come with me."

She leads you to the examination room and helps you lie down on one of the beds. She then activates a machine and it starts glowing and circling around you as it runs its tests. At this point you feel all the tension and anxiety inside you evaporate. You're safe now. You're in your Lair. You're with Eiwhyl. Eiwhyl will take care of you. She will find out what's wrong and fix it. It'll be fine. She said so. You don't have to worry anymore. You don't have to fight to stay awake. You let go of the world and it all fades away.

End of chapter 5: The Killer
Quote from: Security Force Internal Communication Transcript
Analyst Zep Traphane: But it can't be a coincidence!
Analyst Garm Lanatu: And I'm telling you, you're being paranoid. Do you know how many people live in this damn tower alone? It's just statistics. It was bound to happen sooner or later.
Zep: But it wasn't just one person. It was entire families! Either one at a time or all at once!
Garm: Come on, people move away all the time. It happens.
Zep: Without letting anyone know? Disappearing without a trace? These weren't scum running from gambling debts, these were good, working people.
Garm: Then how can there be no witnesses? No bodies? If so many people had been taken or killed then they would had found something.
Zep: [inaudible]
Garm: Besides, you're the one that told me there hasn't been an incident in months.
Zep: [inaudible]
Garm: Now stop wasting time reviewing these old files and come check this one out. I've got here a case with actual evidence. Here, come take a look at this.
Zep: Wow. What in the void happened here?
Garm: The security guard noticed the stench. Came in to investigate and found this.
Zep: [expletive]
Garm: That rich bastard must have been killed weeks ago for the blood to be in this state. No body though, unless you count a dozen or so rotting bits of flesh.
Zep: This is... How? Why?
Garm: That's the question, isn't it? But if you're asking me, I'd say someone hated modern art as much as I do, he he he.

Fame: 22+40=62: How prominent you are in the public's attention
Notoriety: 40+60=100: The public perception of your actions and the threat you pose The Officer is investigating
Fear: 47+60=107: The public perception of your power and abilities The Hunter is on the prowl

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 16, 2020, 04:11:25 pm »

(As for why Leaf)

There are no leaves here, as we haven't seen any other dragons, but there are leaves somewhere, as we've been told dragons are.

There are many kinds of leaves, as there are many kinds of dragons.

And leaves often fly through the air.

..lastly, it just seems like the kind of stupid thing someone like Draggy would choose out of ignorance of the world.  I mean, he hasn't seen any of them, so they're rare and exotic, right?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 16, 2020, 05:57:11 pm »

Agreed, I like Leaf

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 16, 2020, 06:33:18 pm »

I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 16, 2020, 07:56:28 pm »

Also, windows are probably out now.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 17, 2020, 10:05:57 am »

Seems like we should lay low for a bit and let our notoriety drop some, before the cop get to interested in finding us and shoot us to death.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 17, 2020, 10:14:21 am »

Seems like we should lay low for a bit and let our notoriety drop some, before the cop get to interested in finding us and shoot us to death.
Agreed

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 17, 2020, 01:01:57 pm »

Agreed
I am in favor of this, but we'll see if that is a possibility.  We can probably get by with more passive expansion of our influences, if we can control the murderous urges.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 17, 2020, 02:56:20 pm »

If we visit the ship next, we should be able to do that without murdering anyone.  If it's available.

As for laying low..  well, I don't think we should lay that low.  Just lay low to the point of 'try not to kill anyone'

For what to do, well, no way we're not visiting Ali, and I think we should hit that hot drink bar up once or twice more.  We should also keep practicing flying and try to find some way to improve our senses some more.  Maybe sit in a hidden perch near a public crossing and try to identify as much as we can via scent and sound, or try to see in total darkness.  Next time we're attacked by something invisible, I want that to be a dead-end defensively.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 17, 2020, 05:00:29 pm »

If we visit the ship next, we should be able to do that without murdering anyone.  If it's available.

As for laying low..  well, I don't think we should lay that low.  Just lay low to the point of 'try not to kill anyone'

For what to do, well, no way we're not visiting Ali, and I think we should hit that hot drink bar up once or twice more.  We should also keep practicing flying and try to find some way to improve our senses some more.  Maybe sit in a hidden perch near a public crossing and try to identify as much as we can via scent and sound, or try to see in total darkness.  Next time we're attacked by something invisible, I want that to be a dead-end defensively.
+1 practicing no visual senses should help us. If we visit Ali, it can’t be in her house, remember

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 17, 2020, 05:22:53 pm »

..why not again?  Ali isn't allowed outside normally.  I know we can't live there, but I was assuming we were still visiting.

Hopefully we can take her flying soon.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1001 on: February 17, 2020, 06:50:36 pm »

You wake up.

You spend some time lazily stretching, enjoying the sense of the warm blanket over you. You don't have to hurry today. But you'll have to get up eventually.

You push the blanket off of you and slowly get out of the bed. You make your way to the refresher, your eyes still half-closed, sight not really needed for you to navigate the familiar path. You splash some water on your face in an attempt to wake yourself up, trying to rub the sleepiness out of your eyes.

Feeling somewhat more awake, you turn off the water and (after rubbing the water out of them) finally open your eyes. You look at your own reflection in the mirror. Your hair is a mess. All tangled and somewhat wet from all the splashing.

You move to grab your comb but pause. Instead your arm moves to the gap behind the cupboard. You find the small winch Dad fashioned to replace the broken down motor operating the window mechanism. You stare at it. You're not admiring the makeshift arrangement of metal and the plastoid tape grip. You're thinking, trying to process the guilt you're feeling. But in the end you make your way to the window, slot the winch into place and start turning it, the window slowly sliding open with a squeaking noise. Partially because you prefer the somewhat cold and foggy outside air to the stale and dusty air coming from the old air filtration system. But mostly you just hope he comes to visit you. It's been a while since last time...

You grab your comb and turn to face the mirror. There's no point standing here staring at the clouds. It's still too early. His shift won't be over for a while longer. Better finish combing your hair and then go make some breakfast.

You wait for the water to boil, staring at the small bubbles forming in the container while your mind wanders. Preparing breakfast isn't hard. Just put the dust in the bowl and then add boiling water. It's not like you've never had to do this before, though usually it's because Mom and Dad are busy with something, not because they're both out. Both got called in to replace sick co-workers. You hope it's just a coincidence and not another plague. That would be horrible. You remember last time, Dad said the lower levels had to be put on quarantine and- Ack! The water!

You're lying down while the holovision plays in the background. You're not really listening though. Instead you idly scroll through the various programs Mom and Dad have installed on your datapad. After mopping the spilt water, eating breakfast and washing everything, your morning routine is complete. Now all that's left to do is study. The question is, what to study first?

There's math. You're currently up to matrix manipulation. It's not very fun, but it's supposed to be the foundation you need to pursue more advanced subjects like understanding the complex physics that power everyday objects like hovercars or learning the equations that allow spaceships to find their way through the void and the strange dimension of faster-than-light travel.

Then there's programming, which is somewhat more fun. Learning about tools, then getting little challenges and then using trial and error with the tools you were taught to solve those challenges, like a sort of logic puzzle. Much like math, in a way, except it leaves you with a more tangible result and less of a headache. It's fun to get your datapad to greet you or make a game out of chasing blinking dots, though sometimes it gets a bit repetitive and you think you've started reaching the limit of what the poor little thing can achieve.

There's history, but you're not really a fan of that. It's just memorizing endless lists of dates, places, speeches and declarations, small battles and poorly explained trade deals. Still, if you look past the program requirements and into the material itself, you can find some interesting stories, gain some insight about how the galactic community works and learn about all the interesting places and cultures one can find in it. It's fun to imagine what those events would look like from up close, what the people doing all those deals and fighting all those wars were actually thinking and feeling.

There's also chemistry. You're still at a point where you're memorizing building blocks and learning notation, which is quite boring. You wish you could actually see the sort of things described there in action. Sure, you can learn that material X and material Y become material Z and a whole bunch of energy, but what does that look like? Does it fizzle? Does it explode? Yet you know that this is the stepping stone to learning how to manipulate exotic materials of the sort that support the tower you live in, the miraculous dust that can turn into food with just a bit of boiling water, the inner workings of your body, the medicine that Eiwhyl uses to save so many lives.

And then... your finger lingers over the last entry, what you really want to read. You know it's wrong. You know you're not supposed to, not until you're finished with studying. But you really want to find out how it ends. Ever since Draggy transferred it to your datapad it's been on your mind near-constantly. It's about a rogue trader and his Gigoran friend. At first it's about the various trade deals, cons and adventures the two find themselves involved in but then on the second part they rescue a princess from an evil warlord and the three of them have more adventures together.

In the last chapter you read the mobster's men caught up with the trader and ambushed him, capturing him! Luckily his friend used his immense strength to break him out. But then he returns to his ship only to find out that the princess is gone! The gangsters managed to capture the princess and take her away, aiming to collect the bounty on her head as payment for the credits the trader owes them. The princess was heartbroken, thinking he betrayed her for the credits. But he reveals to his friend that he really loved her, despite their constant arguments and he just hadn't found the courage to confess his true feelings to her, afraid she would reject him because of how different they are. Now he races to the mobster's hidden palace to rescue her before the warlord can get there! You can't wait to see what happens next! ...but... you know the right thing to do would be to wait for until after you finish studying.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:55:26 pm by Parisbre56 »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 17, 2020, 07:13:13 pm »

It seems we have ourselves a POV switch!

Get our studies over with. The fun stuff can come later.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 17, 2020, 07:40:39 pm »

Hells yeah, programming!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 17, 2020, 07:43:07 pm »

Do a fun one, and then a not-fun one, and then read Draggy's book as a reward.  Then cycle through them again.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 83