Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshops and inventories  (Read 3040 times)

DalmoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshops and inventories
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:25:44 pm »

If I have a workshop that has a bunch of items in the workshop itself, will it slow down the production of items within that workshop itself? Example being, I have a masonry workshop that has tons of blocks in it, but it feels like I make tables and chair very slowly.

I've seen things allude to this in the wiki but I haven't found a definitive answer.

Thanks for your time.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DalmoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshops and inventories
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:46:47 pm »

Much appreciated, now please forgive me for this next awful question. Where is this CLT displayed because I don't see it when I hover over my cluttered workshop with Q.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:04:36 pm »

Much to my surprise none of my workshops are cluttered at the moment ;).
The clt notification is in the top right corner.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To get rid of clutter create a stockpile for the goods that are in the workshop. If the goods don't get moved out of the workshop, check whether the workshop is set to give or take from some stockpile. If so, it will only give to linked stockpiles. If the workshop WAS linked to stockpiles but you've removed the links manually, sometimes workshops won't "reset" and won't give their goods to free stockpiles anymore. You'd have to deconstruct the workshop and build it again for normal behavior.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:10:51 pm by Large Wereroach »

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 04:53:21 am »

Some workshops can get easily cluttered. The smelters for example.
Other workshops, like looms produce tiny items so there can be many in the shop without causing any issues.

Stockpiles are nice to have good overview what is in your fort. But taking an item to a stockpile that will later be used in another workshop generates an extra job.

Dwarves seem just as happy to drink from a still as using a stockpile. Instead of large booze stockpiles you could set up several stills, switching shop when it gets cluttered.

Start with stockpiles for everything. Try and do with as little stockpiles as possible once you get more experience.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:51:55 am »

One thing to keep in mind with stockpiles is that reducing the length of hauling jobs makes pathing easier.  So while having an extra stockpile creates an extra hauling job, it can paradoxically reduce FPS issues due to pathing (at least in my experience).  I always try to make sure that all hauling distances are less than 1 day's travel for a dwarf (which is about 110 tiles unloaded -- less if loaded -- umm... just to be clear, it doesn't matter how much beer they've had to drink...)  The other thing I try to do is to reduce job times -- so use the manager to schedule one or two jobs a day, rather than doing 10 or 20 jobs in a row.  This allows for interruptions and makes your dwarfs more available for hauling jobs.  The end result is that dwarfs walk less per job (even though they might walk more in total) and they never have periods of time where they are bound up doing something for days on end -- potentially getting unhappy.

But, I agree in principle that it's completely unnecessary (and probably wasteful) to have a workshop 4 tiles from a stockpile which is 2 tiles from the next workshop.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 07:39:43 am »

If you have only 1-2 jobs in a row, though, you'll have to consider their idling area placements much more seriously. With large batches, the distance to workshop dominates, which gives more freedom in making relatively efficient fortress designs.

With 20 jobs, their importance is much smaller. Plus, 20 jobs don't actually take that long - "A dwarf makes the 1000 items in something more than a year, for single items." - so a week, based on that (individual jobs vary; that was carpentry, but I've seen legendary glazer glaze fast enough for 16 jobs a day).

(Admittedly, most jobs don't require 20 in a row, even when aiming for masterworks.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:43:08 am by Fleeting Frames »

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 08:45:22 am »

When I deconstructed my first cluttered WS I was amazed about how many items it had stored (which were of course spread over an area like 5 times the size of the workshop). So for certain occasions I also see them as a half-way quantum stockpile. On other occasions, I need a high throughput (e.g. turning stone into blocks in vast numbers), so I rather have some stockpiles nearby.