Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Corpse in River  (Read 1513 times)

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Corpse in River
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:03:45 am »

So one of my fishery workers recently drowned. I have absolutely no idea how, if he was trying to get across, there's a bridge, right next to my fishing zone. But now his corpse is stuck in the river, and I have no way of getting it out. Which is a problem, because I have never encountered a ghost and I wouldn't like to.
Any tips?
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Corpse in River
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:11:40 am »

A week after his disappearance, there'll be a message (probably in the log at the bottom of the screen) that Urist MacDyver has been missing for a week. You can then engrave a tombstone to his memorial and build it somewhere -> ghost laid to rest.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:16:02 am »

Oh right! Forgot about that, thanks!

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:17:12 am »

:)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:24:56 am »

That said, if you're bound and determined to recover that thing... well, you might be able to pump the water out of that section of river, leaving a dry spot for your dwarves to access.

Or even better-- flood the landscape with magma, obsidianizing the river completely! Your miners can dig out that skeleton later... and the uses of a landscape-flooding magma pump are myriad. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 08:24:04 pm »

There is only one reason I can think of to move the body is because my fishing/water source zone is right there and people occasionally get horrified, but I now have a new zone so that won't be a problem anymore. This solution sounds fun and I might come back to it in a future fort,  but for now I'll stick to the memorial.
Thanks!
Ecosnake

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 04:34:53 pm »

Another retrieval method is placing a stockpile on corpse and digging a ramp undearneath.

The range on seeing it is pretty significant (something like 20 tiles?); and the thought likewise, being that they were dwarf of your fortress. They're still going to be horrified at new location when recalling the fishery worker.

And of course, the miner is going to see it.

Perhaps one emotionally ideal solution, where even the one who deals with corpse doesn't see it, would be to build a very tall 1x1 staircase tower, and on top level drop 2/7 magma on the tile via minecart, then leave the tile undug.

That's not very reusable or usable in mass, though.

Maybe one could burn the corpse away instead, then wait for the burning thing to be destroyed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:36:44 pm by Fleeting Frames »