Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maintaining a supply of water in winter  (Read 2596 times)

DalmoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maintaining a supply of water in winter
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:18:20 pm »

I have a dwarf that is injured and its winter, the water has frozen over my access to water and I don't have access to magma to melt ice. How can I get access to water to maintain my hospital during the winter months?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maintaining a supply of water in winter
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 02:42:03 pm »

The caverns usually have water. If your dwarf isn't too badly injured, you might be able to remove the hospital to encourage him to go get a proper dwarven drink instead.

In the future, you can attach an underground reservoir to a surface water supply so some water will remain available in the winter.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:43:53 pm »

I've also got a frozen river in the current fortress. My solutions:
a) dig a basin/reservoir underground and fill it before winter arrives or
b) use cavern water if available.
I've also noticed that under some circumstances which I haven't figured out completely, a diverted river that is tapped under the surface does not freeze, maybe someone can contribute more to that, but I'm sure I've had a channeled river that contained liquid water while the main riverbed was frozen.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 08:01:42 pm »

I've also noticed that under some circumstances which I haven't figured out completely, a diverted river that is tapped under the surface does not freeze, maybe someone can contribute more to that, but I'm sure I've had a channeled river that contained liquid water while the main riverbed was frozen.
Was it something about the biome it was in? biomes cut very abruptly and you can see the exact point they split by the water freezing out of sync(or not freezing) and layer rock changing mid layer(beyond the usual large clusters).
In a time before time, I had a name.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:43:40 pm »

Alternatively: magma heating!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Screw_pump#Pump_stack

If you maintain a constantly moving supply of magma under your aboveground water supply, the water will remain (mostly) unfrozen. Achieving this is unpleasantly time-consuming in most embarks, but once you manage it... well. Heating your water supply is just the beginning. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DalmoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 12:44:23 am »

How exactly would I go about building a reservoir underground?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 02:39:41 am »

How exactly would I go about building a reservoir underground?
Firstly: it's too late to get any water into an underground reservoir when the water has already frozen, so it's a task that prepares for the next winter (barring magma heating, but arranging that probably won't be finished before spring anyway).

To build an underground reservoir, you just dig out an area that's at least two Z levels deep (can have sloping edges) to avoid muddy water. To fill it you can either use a bucket brigade (designating a lot of pond zones over the edges of the reservoir to get dorfs to fill it one bucket of water at a time). Obviously, that requires a source of liquid water for the dorfs to draw from (and designating a water zone can be used to direct where they take it from).
A better alternative in general is to dig a tunnel from the reservoir to the bottom of the river (and if that's done during winter you can use the ice to your advantage, and you don't risk the miner drowning). The tunnel should have an airlock (two raising drawbridges with a space in between) so you can ensure no nasty critters get into the fortress through the water. If you do the digging when the water is liquid, you can build the tunnel up to the edge of the river, build the airlock, and then channel out the last tile on the river bank to let the water through.

As Loci mentioned, disabling the hospital and deconstructing any racks dorfs are hooked up to should release them to get them to get drinks themselves. Once they've drunk their fill, you can restore the hospital and rebuild the racks for a new session. If the dorfs have lost the ability to use their hands you need to forbid all mugs or they'll sit holding (somehow) a mug in front of a barrel and just stare at that lovely booze the can't get at. With no mugs they'll just uncork the barrels with their teeth (or something) and sate their thirst.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 05:24:27 am »

Was it something about the biome it was in? biomes cut very abruptly and you can see the exact point they split by the water freezing out of sync(or not freezing) and layer rock changing mid layer(beyond the usual large clusters).
May be, but to the best of my guessing it was more something to do with whether the channeled tiles were aboverground/underground. In the first 2 or 3 seasons I also had several single tiles that would'nt freeze or would freeze in the exact moment of digging into them. Anyway, meanwhile the whole channeled section freezes, no matter whether theres a floor above it or not, so I can not give any info how one could reliably use that technique. Best solution imho: reservoir.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:34:50 am »

Dig tiny cave (12x12 tiles, about 24x24 meters) next to a pond, when the water is not frozen.
Drain pond into custom cave's channels. Seal off from topside, check if felled tree made a gap, build stairwell down to settlement for very safe water access.

Also get muddy soil tiles for farming at the same time.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 01:04:32 pm »

Dig tiny cave (12x12 tiles, about 24x24 meters) next to a pond, when the water is not frozen.
Drain pond into custom cave's channels. Seal off from topside, check if felled tree made a gap, build stairwell down to settlement for very safe water access.

Also get muddy soil tiles for farming at the same time.

Hmm. Seeing as that's muddy water you're using, you might want to set up some kind of cleaning operation, like so:
Code: [Select]
Z level
2  | |        _______________
1  | |_______| %%___________|
0  |___________|

Legend
_ floor
| wall
%% screw pump
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 04:53:57 pm »

Mud is generated whenever water flows sideways across ground, so the water the screwpump pumps out is immediatelly going to become muddy anyway.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 06:12:18 pm »

==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884