Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma, dead animals, priority  (Read 2183 times)

DalmoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma, dead animals, priority
« on: July 20, 2019, 01:39:16 pm »

I've got a miasma problem. Not sure exactly how but a giant hamster has found his way into my dining room, where he decided to die (I assume starvation because he was following one of the migrants that came). Now I keep getting miasma. I have a corpse and a refuse stockpile outside (Not sure which he belongs to) but I can't seem to get any of my dwarfs to get rid of his rotting carcass. How can I prioritize the hauling of his body out of my dining hall?

Also, any quick tips for fps improvement?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma, dead animals, priority
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:52:42 pm »

For the dead giant hamster, check if the body is located in a non-pathable tile. All workshops have some non-pathable tiles, and statues and archery targets are also non-pathable. If an item lands in one of those tiles, your dwarfs cannot get to the item and you need to deconstruct the building. Fighting near workshops often results in this problem. If the item can be pathed to and it is not forbidden, and the stockpiles are set to take from anywhere, then the job should be done when there are jobless dwarfs available.

There are dozens of threads referencing FPS... Here is a recent one with a link to a video that covers many FPS concepts. Each of the concepts he mentions is something that can effect FPS to one degree or another.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:24:35 am »

Hauling is a low priority task, and there's little to no priority between different hauling tasks (trade goods excepted), with miasma or the risk of food rotting having no weight whatsoever. To ensure hauling you'd need to disable all competing jobs (which includes higher priority ones such as crafting) on one or more dorfs and return them to their normal duty only after the offending item has been scheduled. I believe pets are hauled by corpse hauling and corpses of other trained animals are considered refuse.

If you've just opened access to a cavern and everyone is busy hauling old bones: good luck... You should forbid all that garbage in the cavern and/or close off access to it to get the buggers to deal with the immediate issue

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 10:37:49 am »

- short world history (25 to 70 years), not 1000 years
- 2x2 embark
- worldgen a medium island, not large region
- don't open up the caves
- generate world that has no cave layers
- topside fort, zero digging
- modding a reaction to destroy unwanted stuff (cremate bodyparts, burn clothes, burn toys, grind rocks to dust)

On the corpse: Go to stocks screen, forbid all bodyparts & corpses, then in the trouble zone do a mass un-forbid. (d-b-d? d-b-f?)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:39:31 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 10:53:58 am »

A world without caverns can't have dwarves, so such a world would either be adventure mode only, or require modded races. A single cavern works, though.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 04:00:49 pm »

Biggest factor by far in fps is pathing. 

Limiting pathing can be achieved by restricting the number of creatures (dwarfs, animals) and/or by fortress design - quick suggestions include trying to ensure only one possible way to get to each location, making workshops and stockpiles deadends, placing material stockpiles close to the workshops that need them, having only one main staircase of limited size, using intelligent traffic restrictions, etc.

Reading http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Path and working out your own recipe is highly recommended.  ;)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 05:16:56 pm »

Oh yeah, the fps question. *considers* *types* *erases*

Pretty much the only quickly applied advice that isn't very commonplace and springs to mind is to try making a backup of your fortress save, and retiring-unretiring that. This can reset your pathing map from digging, and can help your fps or hurt it for reasons I'm not quite sure about. Wiki article on unretire/reclaim is useful reading for this for sticking with a fortress this was done on. For a more commonplace one, avoid things that toggle walkable state frequently, such as fluctating water levels or doors linked to repeater.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:18:41 pm by Fleeting Frames »