Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

WHAT YOU VOTIN' FOR!? Which team will defeat their opponents??

SMS Fleet: Explodable (Kashyyk), Turtle (Naturegirl1999)
RN Fleet: Overgrown Torpedo Boat (Madman198237), Freedom II (1freeman), Virtually Sank Already (evictedSaint)

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53

Author Topic: Battleships!  (Read 36734 times)

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
Re: Battleships!
« Reply #585 on: September 25, 2019, 05:08:56 pm »

I like Tertiary's, they're excellent for dealing with the lighter ships that don't tend to have armour and often go into evasive when targeted. I somewhat wished I'd replaced my secondary with a tertiary since I probably wouldn't want to be shooting at a dreadnought or so.

Also, missed once again with the main XD.

In terms of a carrier, making it so it's Dreadnought only and takes up multiple compartments would make sense. If inspiration hits for exact numbers and the like, I'll pm you. We'd probably need the option for Anti-air guns, aswell. Totally doable I think.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 25, 2019, 07:19:06 pm »

RE:torpedoes:

Manually aimed torpedoes wouldn’t really work for ship-to ship battles, as there is far too much maneuvering and torpedoes are slow, relative to other armaments anyway. There’s also the factor of when the torpedo would arm, as the firing ship wouldn’t want the torpedo to prematurely explode, ‘cause torpedoes are also super unreliable. Also, depth of torpedo as you would ideally want it to explode directly beneath a target for maximum damage. /unnecessary complications

If they were self-aiming torpedoes, some defense should be allowed for targeted ships as they could be thrown off using chaff or some other name I can’t quite recall... flairs or some such.

Anyway:

Damage Control Tertiary Battery

Main gun fire on MF Tortue d’Acier

Secondary Battery fire on MF Bone Apart
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 25, 2019, 08:38:22 pm »

RE:torpedoes:

Manually aimed torpedoes wouldn’t really work for ship-to ship battles, as there is far too much maneuvering and torpedoes are slow, relative to other armaments anyway. There’s also the factor of when the torpedo would arm, as the firing ship wouldn’t want the torpedo to prematurely explode, ‘cause torpedoes are also super unreliable. Also, depth of torpedo as you would ideally want it to explode directly beneath a target for maximum damage. /unnecessary complications

If they were self-aiming torpedoes, some defense should be allowed for targeted ships as they could be thrown off using chaff or some other name I can’t quite recall... flairs or some such.

...unguided torpedoes were one of the most important naval weapons for six decades, what the heck do you mean that torpedoes are not useful in ship-to-ship combat? They're slow, but can be used either to deal extreme damage to a hit ship, or to force that opponent to adopt a path (away from their opponent, usually, as they run from the torpedo so that they can give themselves the most possible time to destroy the torpedoes that might get too close to them via gunfire or slip between torpedoes in the salvo) that they do not wish to adopt, since it may take their forwards guns out of action or force them to a range they don't want to fight at. They are absolutely a deadly weapon when employed correctly.

Torpedo arming is pretty much a nonissue, you won't be close enough to torpedo an enemy without the torpedoes being armed by the time they hit assuming you're not also attempting to ram or something idiotic like that. Torpedoes, in roughly pre-WWI setting this game as, are NOT as unreliable as you seem to think. They also run at a depth at which they will detonate ON CONTACT with an enemy hull, thus usually very close to the surface such that they'll be capable of killing even, say, destroyers. Magnetic "pistols" (a pistol is the detonator of a torpedo, the other common option is the contact pistol which all torpedoes in this era will have) will be invented later, and are unreliable especially in high seas (such as those initially used against the Bismarck), but luckily those aren't used yet. Magnetic-pistol-detonated torpedoes are what you're thinking of when you're thinking of a torpedo that detonates immediately under a ship's keel (when the thing works right). I'm not sure about pistol options after the magnetic one, proximity-type stuff comes up later I'm sure, but we don't have to worry about it.

There are NO guided torpedoes in this time period whatsoever. The only countermeasure that will work against the (fifty-some years in the future, mind you) acoustic homing torpedo (passive tracking torpedo, it has no sonar/active sensor components) is a noisemaker that mimics a ship's propeller sound, since that's what the standard acoustic homing torpedo tracks. Active torpedoes....well....good luck? Generally the goal is to not let anything armed with such devices anywhere NEAR your multibillion dollar warships, actually.

NINJA? EDIT:
Also, about the torpedo system:

Why no deck launchers? They're more common than submerged torpedo tubes in this time period, unless you're planning for somebody to be running a battleship-caliber main battery on a motor torpedo boat...torpedo ram much? I also believe that the torpedo compartment should have a chance to explode when hit, since, historically, they do. A lot. Most famously, the Hood's torpedoes were the likely cause of its destruction.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:42:11 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 25, 2019, 10:36:46 pm »

They were popular mostly because the boats that used them (smaller, faster craft used against larger, slower battleships) were cheap and easy to build, versus the potential benefits of their success, namely the loss of an (expensive) enemy capital ship.

They were used in large numbers, or in circumstances that maximised their chances of success, such as at night, or via hopefully undetected submarines. It’s a lot harder to take evasive action when you don’t know you need to. It’s also a lot harder to take evasive action when you have little time to take it, as torpedo boats generally worked up close. Very dangerous in terms of premature explosions, and very dangerous ‘cause your torpedo boat designed to be light and fast will not stand up to contact against a massive ship designed to keep floating with multiple holes in it :p

Equally so, they were very limited in what they could carry. Four torpedoes was about it, less if they were expected to carry other armaments like depth charges.

As you say, they were useful weapons used correctly. If we’re chatting pre-WWI stuff, I can’t quite recall the details, but the Japanese were fighting the Russians in the early 1900s. The Russian flagship got shot up by the Japanese, the Japanese admiral ordered his torpedo boats and destroyers to finish it off with torpedoes, and they got 3 hits on a vessel that was pretty much already sinking.

In the context of the game, we’re not simulating speed, conditions, proximity or anything like the fun stuff you’d have to take into account in, dare I say it, RL, and in RL if you fired a torpedo, chances are you weren’t going to hit what you were aiming at, unguided.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 25, 2019, 10:39:05 pm »

Just make a cheap Armored Cruiser, load it with nothing but Torpedoes, and get an early critical hit in against the most expensive ship on the enemy fleet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 26, 2019, 01:42:13 am »

Torpedoes will deal 2 damage and can be blew up like ammo magazine, but only if there's still torpedoes inside. Back to important stuff:

HMS HammerTime vs MF Tortue d'Acier:
DC1 Main: 2+1+1-2+1 = 3 < 5, miss!

HMS HammerTime vs MF Bone Apart:
DC2 Secondary: 3+1+0-2+1 = 3 < 5, miss!

It goes splish-splosh, more shells lost, oh gosh!

Spoiler: HMS Freedom (1freeman) (click to show/hide)

SUNK:

Turn 4, sunk by an ammo magazine explosion:
Spoiler: HMS Doggo (TheRedwolf) (click to show/hide)
Turn 5, sunk by MF Par Excellence:
Turn 7, sunk by HMS Freedom:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 26, 2019, 05:42:37 am »

Quarter Speed

Fire all guns at Tortue d'Acier

As for airplanes you could have them be a special component for main guns that you can launch after a turn or two of prepping. That was a thing that battleships sometimes did in WWI and shouldn't be too difficult to add. As for shooting down planes tertiary guns seem like the logical choice.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 26, 2019, 06:08:00 am »

HMS Freedom vs MF Tortue d'Acier:
DC1 Main: 1+1-1+1+1 = 3 < 5, miss!
DC2 Main: 6+1-1+1+1 = 8 => 5, hit! Comproll: 10, UC4 Ammo Magazine is hit for 2 Damage! 1 Armour Plating destroyed!
Ammo Magazine roll: 3, nothing happens
DC4 Secondary: 4+1-1+1+1 = 6 => 5, hit! Comproll: 3, DC3 Bridge Tower is hit! 1 Armour Plating destroyed!

MF Tortue d'Acier could no longer feel safe! They still had luck, for there was no explosion of ammo when the magazine was struck.

SUNK:

SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 26, 2019, 06:34:37 am »

Heh. A very risky gambit for sure. One that has largely paid off, even. But by my math, you only had a 66.6% chance of hitting, missing only on a 1 or two.... But by my math, I now have a 83.3% chance of hitting you, only missing on a 1. Fortunate of you to have struck my ammo magazine eh?

Continue Quarter Speed. Fire Main Battery and 1 Secondary at HMS Freedom. Fire Tertiary at Hammertime. Damage Control to Ammo Magazine.

At least for once I'm not giving the same order again, so I thank you for that!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 26, 2019, 06:52:40 am »

MF Tortue d'Acier vs HMS Freedom:
DC1 Main: 3+1+1+1+1-1 = 6 => 5, hit! Comproll: 8, UC3 Engine Room is hit for 2 Damage and is Destroyed!
DC2 Secondary: 5+1+1+1+1-1 = 8 => 5, hit! Comproll: 2, DC2 Main Battery is hit for 1 Damage!

MF Tortue d'Acier vs HMS HammerTime:
DC4 Tertiary: 2+1+1+1+1-2-1 = 3 < 5, miss!

The shells of MF Tortue d'Acier cripple HMS Freedom!

TURN 9:

SUNK:

SigFlags!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 26, 2019, 09:07:22 am »

[torpedo stuff] (sorry the post got really long and I wanted to shorten it)

We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 26, 2019, 10:43:25 am »

Quarter Speed
Fire Secondary Gun at HMS Freedom
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 10:56:24 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 26, 2019, 10:47:24 am »

Quarter Speed
Fire Main Gun at HMS Freedom twice

A battery can only fire once per turn, Naturegirl, and yours hasn't reloaded yet. You do have a Secondary ready to go, however.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 26, 2019, 10:57:15 am »

MF Archer Fish vs HMS Freedom:
DC2 Main: 6+1+1-2-2-1 = 3 < 5, miss!
DC4 Main: 6+1+1-2-2-1 = 3 < 5, miss!

An otherwise excellent barrage was lost!

SUNK:

What happened here?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 26, 2019, 11:00:39 am »

You ship fired two guns, DC2 and DC4. Your Deck Compartment 4 (DC4) is a Secondary. Haspen merely got the type wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53