Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Named items = artifacts?  (Read 3039 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Named items = artifacts?
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:47:34 am »

Sorry I'm unable to find any information to the subject since item, wear and artifacts are incredibly generic terms.

So I tried to setup a room with selected materials and a few workshops and I intended to let one dwarf craft a bunch of artifacts. The biggest problem with that is that I can't even force the dwarf into a mood, he has allready had one mood and DFhack keeps telling there is no elligible unit no matter what I try... Also getting specific materials into one spot is rather difficult, and createitem/ hack-wish aren't terribly helpful in that regard.

So I wondered, if I create the items I want with hack-wish and name them with an adventurer, will they be like artifacts? That is unaffected by wear, fire etc. Will the person who named them be as likely to keep and wear them as somebody who claimed an artifact as a family heirloom?

Or could it be that most dfhack commands don't work because I still use r1? Ugh I'm overwhelmed, I know it's not the title of the post but, ultimatively, what would be the best course of actions to get a few specific clothes to not wear and tear? And how can I ensure a creature will wear them for all eternity even if I neglect said creature by playing another fort or adventurer?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:49:08 am by dragdeler »
let

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Named items = artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:41:55 am »

There are artifacts, named items, "books" and copies of "books".
- Artifacts are almost indestructible and what's created by moods and world gen events.
- Named items are regular items that's been used by militia members enough to get them to grow attached to them (they are not better stat wise). As far as I think I've seen, that's only happened to hand held items, i.e. weapons and shields, not clothing/armor. I can not say for certain, but I suspect they accumulate wear. At the very least they can have wear, although it might have been accumulated before they were named. Also note that militia gear belongs to the squad, not the members, and I don't know if named items get removed from squad ownership when named. Also, I don't know if there's any adventurer mode mechanism corresponding to fortress item naming, although I believe killing named creatures with items may result in the items acquiring a name (if so, probably in both modes).
- "Book", i.e. the various forms of written works, are artifacts when they are originals, i.e. near indestructible (can be doused after being on fire for extended lengths of time with no damage, etc).
- Copies of "books" aren't real artifacts, but I haven't seen whether they are consumed by fire and similar abuse or not.

It's possible to turn off wear of clothing, although I'm unsure whether it's a DF or DFHack thing (I've never done it).

The best way to ensure someone will continue to wear something is probably to ensure they won't find something better. Given that companies may provide gear to their members (in the next release), someone who joins them may well upgrade. Villains and other artifact seekers may well rob/kill for artifacts as well.

Strange moods are exclusive to dwarves and can happen only once in a dwarf's lifetime. I haven't checked if the data structures would allow for multiple moods (the field(s) involved in the mood would have to be vectors rather than single entries).

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 12:59:07 pm »

So basically ther are no substitutes for a real artifact, as I feared... But I'm having zero succes with prefchange (can't seem to just read a selected dwarf) and strangemood does not care for -force :(.

Basically I want my adventurer to carry adamantine clothing and an adamantine longsword even if I park him in world structures and play another fort (or 15, yes he will be immortal by then). And I suppose him claiming the artifacts as family heirlooms is the best way.

So what do I not understand about strangemood -force? I mean the guy has made an artifact within his lifetime but that should be ignored by -force innit? Is it because of DFHack 44.12 r1 ? Will 44.12 r2 be more likely to execute that script? You see I'm willing to roll the dice until I get the desired results but so far I haven't managed  to do it even a single time. I'd probably even be willing to savescum myself all the way to a set of artifacts that all have the same decorative ingredients - just for the style. Wouldn't want to ruin forgotten beast silk embroided and precious gem encrusted gear with some plum wood spikes you know what I'm saying  :D.

Though, if I could disable wear on a bunch of cheated adamantine clothes (and only specifically on them) I guess that would be fine, generally adventurers keep their gear. Though, I guess that... If you disable wear, they could still tear in combat right?

Eh thanks anyway for what you shared (so far) I guess I'll go try the most recent dfhack and maybe a few other lines and combinations I can think of. I'll keep you up to date if I make any progress.
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:42:01 pm »

Updated to DFHack 44.12 r-2, strangemood still yields the following:

"No dwarves are available to enter a mood!"

or

"No unit is selected in the UI." (if I aim the floor, obviously)

It would appear that the -force command isn't forceful enough. It is a pretty old fort though (44.02 IIRC), I doubt that every single dwarf has had a mood yet but I guess I hit some sort of cap.
let

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:09:22 pm »

- Named items are regular items that's been used by militia members enough to get them to grow attached to them (they are not better stat wise). As far as I think I've seen, that's only happened to hand held items, i.e. weapons and shields, not clothing/armor. I can not say for certain, but I suspect they accumulate wear. At the very least they can have wear, although it might have been accumulated before they were named. Also note that militia gear belongs to the squad, not the members, and I don't know if named items get removed from squad ownership when named. Also, I don't know if there's any adventurer mode mechanism corresponding to fortress item naming, although I believe killing named creatures with items may result in the items acquiring a name (if so, probably in both modes).

I've played around with named items in Adventure Mode a bit. They do not accumulate wear, but do retain wear from before they were named. You can name most any item by "I"nteracting with it; the "Name" option will appear in the Interact menu. As with naming a fortress/tavern/military-squad/whatever, you can randomize a name, or custom-select one.

When I'm playing an adventurer, I like to find one of those iron carving knives the humans like to carry, then name it. Makes for a nice indestructible little shank, easy to find and much sharper than that clunky dagger thing you start with!  :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 07:24:25 pm »

I've played around with named items in Adventure Mode a bit. They do not accumulate wear, but do retain wear from before they were named. You can name most any item by "I"nteracting with it; the "Name" option will appear in the Interact menu. As with naming a fortress/tavern/military-squad/whatever, you can randomize a name, or custom-select one.

When I'm playing an adventurer, I like to find one of those iron carving knives the humans like to carry, then name it. Makes for a nice indestructible little shank, easy to find and much sharper than that clunky dagger thing you start with!  :D

Awesome, so named items don't rip either when attacked? Like have you never witnessed "The xitemnamedafterwearx is ripped to shreds!"?! 
let

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 10:34:53 pm »

I have never witnessed the destruction of a named item by wear, no. I'd have noticed, too; those knives break in a second if you don't name 'em properly!

klonk
Sigtext

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 01:41:14 am »

Excellent! Thanks
let

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 02:32:48 am »

Yeah; named wooden shields also burn forever, though they'll keep some wear from before.

The reason your strangemood command fails is because you're selecting a dwarf who already had a mood. As PatrikLundell states, they are not eligible.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 04:31:25 am »

The reason your strangemood command fails is because you're selecting a dwarf who already had a mood. As PatrikLundell states, they are not eligible.

Must be, it's weird though  because I don't have single elligible dwarf, but the fort is about 70 years old so it's totally possible.
let

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 04:48:05 pm »

Yeah, with that age it's possible every dwarf you find is already Creator of <>, as you can see when 'v'iewing them under their name.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 03:18:44 am »

A problem with fortresses that rely on procreation for growth rather than immigration is that your only chance to get any metal or other useful moods is for the starting population, as all kids will mood well before they're old enough to start to work (and thus get useful skills as the moodable ones). Thus, it's rather unlikely such an old fortress has any dorf that hasn't mooded unless you have a high turn over with immigrant replacing the losses. Even the starting population tends to mood before they've gained enough skill to mood in desirable professions, unless the pop is sufficiently large that it simply takes a lot of time for everyone to mood.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 06:55:46 am »

A problem with fortresses that rely on procreation for growth rather than immigration is that your only chance to get any metal or other useful moods is for the starting population, as all kids will mood well before they're old enough to start to work (and thus get useful skills as the moodable ones). Thus, it's rather unlikely such an old fortress has any dorf that hasn't mooded unless you have a high turn over with immigrant replacing the losses. Even the starting population tends to mood before they've gained enough skill to mood in desirable professions, unless the pop is sufficiently large that it simply takes a lot of time for everyone to mood.

Well the trick there is to embark with some moodable skills already picked out-- predesignated armorsmith, predesignated weaponsmith, and weaponsmithing on the planter, that's three nice artifacts in the making right there. :)

klonk
Sigtext

Malmensa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 08:17:42 pm »

There is a also a cap on the number of artifacts a fart can have. Maybe you are at the cap?

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 07:02:31 am »

Updated to DFHack 44.12 r-2, strangemood still yields the following:

"No dwarves are available to enter a mood!"
If you get that message, it means that every moodable unit (units which are Citizens, have at least one working Hand, are not currently Insane, are of an appropriate Profession, and are of an appropriate Race) has already had a strange mood.

Furthermore, it should be noted that the "strangemood" plugin is a replica of the game's internal logic for doing strange moods (i.e. I disassembled the game's StrangeMood function and rewrote it from scratch as a DFHack plugin) - it's not possible to just set some values in memory and force the game to trigger a specific mood on a specific dwarf.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.