Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to install mods without merging conflicts?  (Read 3958 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: How to install mods without merging conflicts?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 01:21:54 am »

The mod's done, but I need to pack it up, get it to work with the Lazy Newb Pack, and send it back to you. Load times are much longer and I'm sure there's a few crash bugs, but that's pretty much inevitable with this sort of thing.

*Alright, try this pack by itself.

Like I said before, there are still bugs and the occasional crash, but it's about as stable as such a pack can be. I recommend smaller worlds or shorter histories to keep the crashes to a minimum.

Spoiler: Sources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:30:33 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

dewy60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 03:34:37 pm »

Thank you. I have another question, how do you make mod packs?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 04:18:38 pm »

You're welcome.

A literal answer to your question is that you just install them together and run them at the same time. However, the thing that makes this complicated is raw duping. Like I said before, raw duping is when you have two entries with the same name. Two [CREATURE:TOAD]s or the like. If you have that, the game breaks down. The solution is to go through the mods you downloaded and eliminate or adjust the matching files. Small mods and anything made by IndigoFenix are generally the easiest to combine with other mods in my experience.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

dewy60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 05:08:00 pm »

Okay, I have one more question, If I don't see any instances of a mod being launched or working through LNP, can you provide any explanation of how to install a mod or a pack of mods, properly?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:12:50 pm by dewy60 »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:15 pm »

Did you generate a new world? That's necessary for most of the content to work. Try checking the Arena for the new things too, that might be quicker. If the mod didn't install through Lazy Newb Pack, copy the contents from the mod folder I gave you and paste them directly into your Dwarf Fortress folder. You might want to make a backup for when you decide to go back to vanilla.
My mods and forum games.

knainoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 10:51:36 pm »

I'm having a similar problem merging Grimlocke and Meph pack, but without LNP. How did you go about this? I tried hand merging the raws myself but that only barely worked, still a lot of stuff broke.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 10:56:31 pm »

I'm having a similar problem merging Grimlocke and Meph pack, but without LNP. How did you go about this? I tried hand merging the raws myself but that only barely worked, still a lot of stuff broke.

See Meph's stuff is like Grimlocke's and a few other overhaul mods. Some base stuff like tissues, and materials have been altered by both of them extensively or even "normalized" so Meph might have on STONE_TEMPLATE [REACTION_CLASS:RAW_STONE] but Grim might have [REACTION_CLASS:BREAKABLE_STONE] and then they have reactions that use those classes in their own way

but when you merge them (in the easy overwrite this file with this one) you're going to lose 1 or the other for a class which can break stuff, not in a hard way but more of "this reaction won't work anymore"

there are other things that could break but in the case of merging you have to see what all their differences are between vanilla and that mod, then combine them into manually
Pages: 1 [2]