Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will we customize our starting supplies?

Take a wisely-recommended pre-made loadout. Thank you kindly.
- 2 (20%)
We can do better by ourselves! Get in the wagon loser, we're going SHOPPING.
- 8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Oregon Trail II: A vote-based play [THE GOOD SHIP TWELVEBAY]  (Read 16861 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Oregon Trail II: A vote-based play
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 10:31:33 am »

I'll take whatever spot you can give me on the caravan as Birdvig Krauss, age 42.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 12:46:01 pm »

Quote from: bogz 4 vodez
    Level of Play:
    Adventurer: (5) SC777, Egan_BW, Enemy post, King Zultan, hector13

Profession:
    Pastor: (2) SC777, Egan_BW

Artist: (1) Enemy post

Teacher: (1) Hector13

Skill Set:
    Riverwork, Farming/Animals, Botany, Spanish: (1) SC777
    No skills!: (2) Egan_BW, Enemy post.
    Musical: (1) hector13

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 05:37:38 pm »

Ah, Oregon Trail. 2. I think it was 2, I had a fairly successful strategy based on pickles. Barrels and barrels of pickles, because its the only veggie that lasts a decent time.

I say be a farmer, if'n yer can't take care of yer animals yer ain't gettin' even half-a-way.

Quote from: bogz 4 vodez
    Level of Play:
    Adventurer: (6) SC777, Egan_BW, Enemy post, King Zultan, hector13, mightymushroom

Profession:
    Pastor: (2) SC777, Egan_BW
    Artist: (1) Enemy post
    Teacher: (1) Hector13
    Farmer: (1) mightymushroom

Skill Set:
    Riverwork, Farming/Animals, Botany, Spanish: (1) SC777
    No skills!: (2) Egan_BW, Enemy post.
    Musical: (1) hector13
    Tracking, Musical: (1) mightymushroom

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 06:43:34 pm »

Are we still voting? If so,
Teacher
Tracking

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 10:09:19 pm »

I'll vote for
Farmer

Skills:
Tracking, river work

As fun as it would be to be completely useless as a teacher, I think we'll be able to get into crazier shenanigans if we live longer.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 05:58:11 am »

I vote for Banker, so we can throw our fat stacks around and buy all the whisky, then die in the woods because hostile animals don't give a shit about money.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 08:10:24 am »

I'll vote for
Farmer

Skills:
Tracking, river work

As fun as it would be to be completely useless as a teacher, I think we'll be able to get into crazier shenanigans if we live longer.
Ah, my thoughts behind teacher was that we would possibly have background knowledge about some things and be better at talking to people. Changing my vote to farmer, then

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 11:59:16 am »

You do only pick skills and such for the main character.

Everyone else just gets a name and age, sorry :)

Anyway posting starting situation shortly. Looks like we have a full caravan.

EDIT: I flipped a coin 5 times to choose profession, we are a Pastor. Also, it looks like being good at farming provides immunity to smallpox. Neat.

Will update the OP and a post below once we begin today.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:02:57 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 12:39:58 pm »

THE JOURNEY BEGINS!

DORFS:
HEALTHY - Urist Twelvebay - Fearless Leader (The sum of all votes)
HEALTHY - Estrava Rodriguez - Age/65 - Egan_BW
HEALTHY - Enemy Post - Age/5 - Enemy Post
HEALTHY - Birdvig Krauss -Age/40 - Birdy51
HEALTHY - Urust McDwarf - Age/30 - Hector13
HEALTHY - Mr Dabber  - Age/20 - Shadowclaw

As per our vote, we are going SHOPPING.

We have 456$ after buying 4 oxen, which is not all that much. Thoughts on what to buy? We've got two general stores, a pharmacy, and a gunsmith in town. We currently have nothing but our wagon and our oxen. These stores have a ridiculous DF-level variety of period-appropriate goods ranging from multiple kinds of firearms, clothing, miscellaneous items, foods, medicines, (including lol-reliable things like old-time "elixirs"), and musical instruments or furniture. I included a shot below of the first page of food prices so you can get an idea of what things cost.

Oh, also we can set pace and rations for the group. Paces range from 8 hours to 12+, and rations range from bare-bones to filling. Filling is the maximum, and also the default.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:05:35 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 02:33:09 pm »

We are the Twelvebay family. We must talk to the cat. Unless it's a dog, I can't really tell at this angle.

I recall basing my expeditions on pickles and ammo. We MUST have whatever seems to be the most common rifle, so we can easily pick up replacement ammo in trading down the line. Although we didn't pick up any tracking, shooting, or even foraging skills so living off the land will be that much more challenging. Look for preserved foodstuffs with a good price-to-weight ratio, like that bacon (although without seeing more pages I can't say it's the best). We need a protein and a fruit/vegetable for nutrition but variety within groups is a waste of money. "Plump helmets for everyone!"

I think the most effective way to heal sickness is rest/moving slow and extra rations (meaning more than the half meals I mandate when starting out); but I think you can set out in April? May sounds late to my recollection, we won't have as much trail time to spare.

Spare wagon parts can save a lot of hassle, but let's try not to need more than two wheels and an axle, and that much only if food budget allows.

A musical instrument I think helps morale? Maybe a fiddle or a harmonica? Something lightweight.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 03:16:52 pm »

I don't know what kinds of guns there are, but I want a shotgun.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 03:28:16 pm »

Unfortunately we have already set out in May. The game has no time limit, you can literally camp out in the middle of the Rockies if you feel like it until everyone starves or dies of old age.

The animal in question is most certainly a dog. It barks when clicked. It seems to be warning us nervously about the terrible dangers along our path, and begs us to stay here, in human civilization, where it is safe. The blood-mad wolves of the untamed wild haunt their dreams nightly. It also asks for walksies.

We now have 500lb of bacon, and some 20 sacks each of dried vegetables and fruits. I selected a banjo and a harmonica for maximum home on the range power. I also found that the dry goods store sells entire whole-ass horses for 82$. I did not buy one. There are many, many options for food and medicine, whatever you can think of there is certainly some kind of analogue I can draw and purchase.

I also found that there are options for eating and cooking utensils. I'm not sure if not buying them means you eat all the bears you kill raw or not, so I got some. They were quite cheap.

We bought a standard rifle, 10 boxes of bullets, and 10 kegs of gunpowder. We also bought a shotgun with 10 boxes of shot. This was the most expensive purchase.

We have $255.71 remaining I found that 100 lbs of pickles cost like 4$. Did that. 500$ starting money stretches a bit further than I expected.

$251.31 remaining.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:34:14 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 03:38:39 pm »

Spare Wheels. All of them.

You have no idea the angst I have had over my wheels breaking midway through the journey.

Avanti!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 03:39:41 pm »

Yes, spare wheels. Also tongues and axles, if those are still in this game.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 04:21:43 pm »

We have acquired 3 each of wagon wheels, axles, and tongues. This necessitated the purchase of two additional oxen to pull the wagon, which now weighs well over a ton.

$135.26 remaining. Will be setting out in a couple of hours, unless someone wants to blow our cash on more goodies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21