Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creating The Lord of the Rings Mod, Have Several Questions  (Read 3741 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating The Lord of the Rings Mod, Have Several Questions
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:53:40 am »

Hello! I have been playing DF for a while now, and I am creating a mod that replicates the flavor of Tolkien. So much is possible! Hobbits, with hairy feet; Ents who visit if too many trees are felled (replacing the annoying  function of Elves in vanilla: Tolkien's Elves aren't generally hippie tree-loving bastards); bearded female Dwarves; Orcs instead of Goblins; assorted Dragons, Drakes, and Serpents, (who would raid a wealthy fort, as Smaug); various sorts of Elves and Men, Evil Men, Wicked Dwarves, the Mearas, Wargs instead of beak dogs, etc. The flavor would lean more towards the Elder Days than the Third Age of Middle-earth.

Imagine the incredible feeling of delving your very own grand mansion of Moria in Fort Mode, trading with the various races of Arda and creating grand artifacts, all while fending off the assaults of vile Orcs, tree-hugging Ents, and the foul creatures of the deep places of the Earth; and too going off on long, perilous adventures with your companions like Thorin and Company or the Fellowship of the Ring in Adventure Mode.

Much also already exists that fits quite well: The FBs are already very reminiscent of the Nameless Things seen by Gandalf in the bowels of Moria. HFS recalls the balrog of Moria unearthed when the dwarves delved too deep; adamantine could be replaced by mithril. And the Dark Fortresses simply scream Utumno/Angband/Thangorodrim. Were-creatures, Vampires, Trolls, and Giant Eagles are already in the game. Abandoned fortress of old, can be reclaimed, like Balin's expdition to Moria. Finally, of course Tolkien's languages (and fan-created neo-languages) would be used in the language files.  I am aware that previous attempts have been made at such a mod, but none are for the current DF version, and I would like to give it a shot as well.

I consider myself an armchair Tolkien expert, and am studying to be a software engineer. However, I am rather new to modding, and although sort-of competent at modding creatures (but not so much entities), I have many questions, which I will pose one at a time so as to not overwhelm.

First: I wish for Hobbits to live in hillocks (and also cities, for they did not all live in holes), but am confused as to how to go about this. The entity tokens for hillocks are entirely different from the other sites; I have attempted to use them on Hobbits, to no avail. I have got them to live in cities, though; that was easy enough. Could a kind soul please help enlighten me?

Done:
Dwarves (creature, entity)
Halflings (creature, entity)
Orcs (creature, entity)
Ents (creature, entity)
FBs renamable to "Nameless Things"; ironically they are all named

In Progress:
Fixing Ents

Up Next:
Elves

Up Next:
Men

First release will come when all major races are added.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:33:56 pm by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Creating The Lord of the Rings Mod, Have Several Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:53:46 pm »

You're welcome to use the language files that I made for my own attempt at this sort of project:

DFFD Download

I made a Sindarin, Khuzdul, Westron, and Black Speech for my Third Age/Middle-Earth mod (hence no Quenya!), using a Sindarin dictionary I found online as a basis. All the Sindarin words are authentic; most of the other languages I filled in myself, since they only had, like, a dozen words attested for each. The languages are a little sparse and could do with some extension, but these should save you many, many hours of tedious drudgery if you choose to use them. Trust me, language modding is not fun.

As far as Hobbits go: I believe the "hillock" site-type is tied to the CAVE_DETAILED (i.e. Fortress) default site-type, possibly also EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME and SETTLEMENT_BIOME tags have something to do with it. Basically, I think the only way you could get it would be to make hobbits live in fortresses as well. I just made my hobbits live in towns.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:00:38 pm »

That is unfortunate; and I assume it is not possible to create new site types. Although Hobbits were known to have dealings with Dwarves. Is it possible they could live in detailed caves and hillocks?

Also, thank you for the language files!

Perhaps it could be requested to Toady that hillocks be standardized to be like the other sites, but he is rather busy and will be for a long while, so for now, the Hobbits will just live in cities.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:23:09 pm by Mim »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:45:54 pm »

Could Fortress development be prevented by capping site populations at a level too low to allow them?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:08 pm »

Could Fortress development be prevented by capping site populations at a level too low to allow them?
Maybe. But wouldn't that also cap other sites?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 06:01:04 am »

Possibly, but hobbits aren't really known for rampant expansionism to begin with so IMO a low site cap would be rather fitting. Up to you, of course.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 07:52:07 am »

Possibly, but hobbits aren't really known for rampant expansionism to begin with so IMO a low site cap would be rather fitting. Up to you, of course.
I'll give it a shot.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 09:04:12 am »

In adventure mode, there's smell detection skill and how smelly a hobbit creature is.
And hearing the soundmessages of cities and bandit camps:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 05:59:51 pm »

In adventure mode, there's smell detection skill and how smelly a hobbit creature is.

Yes; I was planning to give Elves superior smell. Those sounds seem like they would get annoying, though.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 06:01:29 pm »

Maybe odor level could be increased by going without bathing (getting in water), is this possible?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:53:15 pm by Mim »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 06:08:18 pm »

Sadly I think odor right now is just fixed for the creature at the moment.

So once it's set, that's how smelly it is.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 06:36:40 pm »

Yes; I was planning to give Elves superior smell. Those sounds seem like they would get annoying, though.
Can make them rarer and rarer by increasing the timers. Shorter distance means less spam.
One would like to hear bird and wolf soundmessages in the forest, right? Can rig up an external script that plays WAV files upon detecting soundmessage_string in the gamelogtxt.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 07:00:23 pm »

Can make them rarer and rarer by increasing the timers. Shorter distance means less spam.
One would like to hear bird and wolf soundmessages in the forest, right? Can rig up an external script that plays WAV files upon detecting soundmessage_string in the gamelogtxt.
That's excellent! I might be able to make something primitive; but better could probably be done with DFHack (which I don't know).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:54:44 pm by Mim »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 07:09:46 am »

This would be a really cool mod on its own

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 03:25:36 am »

Doesn't soundsense does this already?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2