Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do appearance modifiers in the raw files work?  (Read 1769 times)

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
How do appearance modifiers in the raw files work?
« on: July 15, 2019, 04:02:32 am »

I've recently started playing adventure mode and want to change some things about what vampires look like in their (for lack of a better name) night creature form. I know it's a stupid detail to fuss about, but i'd really like some advice on how to go about it.
I've found out where to add the modifiers, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to edit to get the desired effect.

This is the only real example I have to go off of. (it's in creature_standard.)

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:GAPS:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
         [APP_MOD_NOUN:teeth:PLURAL]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:100:100:100:100:100:100:100] for vampires
         [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:1000]
         [APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:30:60:90:110:150:190]

I'd like to know how to change other things, such as skin, eyes, etc.
Help? (And yes, I've looked at the wiki.)
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do appearance modifiers in the raw files work?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 06:30:51 am »

What desired result are you going for?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:20:10 am »

for vampires, I think they only look they way they do, during blood sucking, which only modifies the length of their teeth using CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER and a COUNTER_TRIGGER

if you want eyes to be red, or whatever, that'd probably require a body transformation, and from what I remember transforming into something with descriptors (hair color, etc) has the effect of crashing the game on looking at their description of the transformed body

Because Vampires don't use transformations, were-beasts do

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:04:31 pm »

Looking at creature_standard.txt here:

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:GAPS:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:100:100:100:100:100:100:100] for vampires
         [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:1000]

Those BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:GAPS numbers give a range from 0 to 200 for teeth. 0 = crowded, 200 = wide spaced. Now as an example, if you don't want variation, you could make all those numbers 200 across and everyone will be gapped toothed.

So, down to the next line with BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH at 100 across, you don't get any mention at all for length as 100 across causes the description to get skipped altogether, even tho there are #s for APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE.

A high number for APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE will make it so that this is one of the first descriptors on the character page. 1000 is highest. However if there are a bunch of entries with APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE at 1k they're going to appear in no particular order, all clustered at the top.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:14:54 pm »

What you're actually looking for is raw folder > interaction examples > interaction_vampire.txt.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
^ This is modifying the tooth length for vampires.

All the weirdness is because of the syndrome.

So you want odd eyes, you could try to add in to the syndrome [CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]

Just swap out stuff and muck around for a bit.

Meh, scratch that. Didn't quite work in arena testing.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:03:04 pm by peasant cretin »

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 05:30:39 pm »

Thanks for the advice :) (I'm new to the forum, so I didn't know if anyone would actually respond.)
What desired result are you going for?

Well, for the time being, I'm only really interested in giving them red eyes, but would like to know what all the values in the creature files do, in case I want to edit them later.

[CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
^ This is modifying the tooth length for vampires.

All the weirdness is because of the syndrome.

So you want odd eyes, you could try to add in to the syndrome [CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]

Just swap out stuff and muck around for a bit.

Meh, scratch that. Didn't quite work in arena testing.

Yeah, I don't remember where but I read somewhere that the interaction examples folder doesn't do anything but is there to give an example of how to go about modding the raws, but, hey, could be wrong, never know.

I looked at the files and changing colours seem to work differently from length,

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:CLOSE_SET:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
         [APP_MOD_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:DEEP_SET:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:ROUND_VS_NARROW:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LARGE_IRIS:25:70:90:100:110:130:200]

It only appears to govern the quantitative values and doesn't say anything about the colours.

SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_AMETHYST:1:IRIS_EYE_AQUAMARINE:1:IRIS_EYE_BRASS:1:IRIS_EYE_BRONZE:1:IRIS_EYE_COBALT:1:IRIS_EYE_COPPER:1:IRIS_EYE_EMERALD:1:IRIS_EYE_GOLD:1:IRIS_EYE_HELIOTROPE:1:IRIS_EYE_JADE:1:IRIS_EYE_OCHRE:1:IRIS_EYE_RAW_UMBER:1:IRIS_EYE_RUST:1:IRIS_EYE_SILVER:1:IRIS_EYE_SLATE_GRAY:1:IRIS_EYE_TURQUOISE:1]

There is this, though, which lists all the eye colours a certain creature can posses. (this is the dwarf section) although adding red to this would probably just mean red-eyed dwarves would occasionally appear.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:08:17 pm by AshTheTiefling »
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 06:21:53 pm »

You want to replace
Code: [Select]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_AMETHYST:1:IRIS_EYE_AQUAMARINE:1:IRIS_EYE_BRASS:1:IRIS_EY_BRONZE:1:IRIS_EYE_COBALT:1:IRIS_EYE_COPPER:1:IRIS_EYE_EMERALD:1:IRIS_EYE_GOLD:1:IRIS_EYE_HELIOTROPE:1:IRIS_EYE_JADE:1:IRIS_EYE_OCHRE:1:IRIS_EYE_RAW_UMBER:1:IRIS_EYE_RUST:1:IRIS_EYE_SILVER:1:IRIS_EYE_SLATE_GRAY:1:IRIS_EYE_TURQUOISE:1]
with
Code: [Select]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_RED:1]

That way, the only eye color option will be red. The ”1” after is a weight used by the random picker. If you have something like IRIS_EYE_RED:1:IRIS_EYE_BLUE:10 then blue eyes will be ten times as likely as red eyes, and if its IRIS_EYE_RED:1:IRIS_EYE_BLUE:10:IRIS_EYE_GREEN:10 then 1/21 dwarves will have red eyes, 10/21 dwarves will have blue eyes, and another 10/21 dwarves will have green eyes.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 09:14:16 pm »

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_RED:1]

That way, the only eye color option will be red. The ”1” after is a weight used by the random picker. If you have something like IRIS_EYE_RED:1:IRIS_EYE_BLUE:10 then blue eyes will be ten times as likely as red eyes, and if its IRIS_EYE_RED:1:IRIS_EYE_BLUE:10:IRIS_EYE_GREEN:10 then 1/21 dwarves will have red eyes, 10/21 dwarves will have blue eyes, and another 10/21 dwarves will have green eyes.

Yeah, I figured that'd change eye colour for all dwarves, but is it possible to make it so only vampires have red eyes?
(Although admittedly an entire race of red-eyed dwarves does sound cool.)