Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How to do entities?

Every pet species is an entity!
Every area has an entity! Unrepresented pets are livestock!
Every (or most) species have both a domestic animal and an entity

Author Topic: Neopets Mod in progress (and a poll)  (Read 1965 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Neopets Mod in progress (and a poll)
« on: July 13, 2019, 04:56:26 am »

I'm making a Neopets themed mod for dwarf fortress, as my title says, but i've reached a bit of an issue. namely, how to do sentients. so here is my question.

Do I make every Neopian species it's own entity?

Or do I maybe make entities for every area, making the leftover creatures livestock?

OR do I do a combination, using both anthropomorphic versions (as shown in the Plot Comics), *and* standard feral versions?
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Neopets Mod in progress (and a poll)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:13:20 pm »

I never actually played Neopets, but as a modder I'd recommend using as few entity files as possible. There are so many types of Neopets that giving each of them a unique civ means every world will be dominated by only 5-20 neopet societies, and other races usually won't appear at all.

If I were making the mod and wanted a Neopet civilization, I'd make the standard feral ones first, and then make a single "creature" that's really all the other Neopets merged together through the caste system. I can show you how to do that if you like. After the first few castes are in, the rest should be relatively simple.

You may not care, but I feel like I should mention that mixing them together like that will result in any Neopet being able to breed with any other and produce offspring of random species. A Grarrl might marry a Buzz and give birth to a Bruce, for instance.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:16:10 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 04:54:08 pm »

Could make some of the more "dominate" close to human (or greater) in intelligence be the main civs, but then the other runner ups count as wild animal people so they have [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] so that they can join the civs?

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 09:41:09 pm »

I never actually played Neopets, but as a modder I'd recommend using as few entity files as possible. There are so many types of Neopets that giving each of them a unique civ means every world will be dominated by only 5-20 neopet societies, and other races usually won't appear at all.

If I were making the mod and wanted a Neopet civilization, I'd make the standard feral ones first, and then make a single "creature" that's really all the other Neopets merged together through the caste system. I can show you how to do that if you like. After the first few castes are in, the rest should be relatively simple.

You may not care, but I feel like I should mention that mixing them together like that will result in any Neopet being able to breed with any other and produce offspring of random species. A Grarrl might marry a Buzz and give birth to a Bruce, for instance.

Yeah, the site itself has weird families in the lore, so that could be done if i was better at combined races
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 09:47:18 pm »

If you do the first two or three creatures, I can show you how to combine them.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 11:14:02 am »

If you do the first two or three creatures, I can show you how to combine them.

kay. IT may be a while. I havent had the drive to do much. i could barely make some progress yesterday.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 12:59:43 pm »

Alright. PM me whenever you're ready.
My mods and forum games.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 06:18:33 pm »

Fourth option, just make them animals and do nothing else.
pug

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:57:20 am »

Ack, once more hitting modders block for this setting... while gtetting ideas for like everything else

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 05:50:37 pm »

I've actually been thinking about this for several months.
Bori Fortress: Premise is that your entity rapidly dies out in worldgen and you're supposed to run the last bastion of the bori species. The Watsonian explanation was that you're a group of bori that awoke to "Neo"pia VERY soon. To the point that it's actually Archia.
Other entities are proto-Lost Desert types (analogous to humans in terms of ethics and governance), precursors to Altador and various psuedo-medieval kingdoms. Underground ones are Moltara and Tyrannia. Each one is represented by a single CREATURE.
This idea would probably have to wait for the Roll To Be An Owl update because crystal magic powers were a plot point in Hannah And The Ice Caves. Another idea I had was to base the magic system off of Neoquest elements (fire, ice, spectral, life and lightning) to reflect that it's a era before faeries rose to prominence. I also wanted to steal the idea of mancer syndrome, where Archians without an associated element would become inhuman elementals if they used too much of any kind of magic. This would be the reason for using the Color system,to retain your sanity by impermanently jumping over on your own terms. Additionally your starting seven are either Ice or Relic depending on the biome where they started. While evil biomes are obvious, I don't know what you'd do with good ones.
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 12:34:14 am »

I've actually been thinking about this for several months.
Bori Fortress: Premise is that your entity rapidly dies out in worldgen and you're supposed to run the last bastion of the bori species. The Watsonian explanation was that you're a group of bori that awoke to "Neo"pia VERY soon. To the point that it's actually Archia.
Other entities are proto-Lost Desert types (analogous to humans in terms of ethics and governance), precursors to Altador and various psuedo-medieval kingdoms. Underground ones are Moltara and Tyrannia. Each one is represented by a single CREATURE.
This idea would probably have to wait for the Roll To Be An Owl update because crystal magic powers were a plot point in Hannah And The Ice Caves. Another idea I had was to base the magic system off of Neoquest elements (fire, ice, spectral, life and lightning) to reflect that it's a era before faeries rose to prominence. I also wanted to steal the idea of mancer syndrome, where Archians without an associated element would become inhuman elementals if they used too much of any kind of magic. This would be the reason for using the Color system,to retain your sanity by impermanently jumping over on your own terms. Additionally your starting seven are either Ice or Relic depending on the biome where they started. While evil biomes are obvious, I don't know what you'd do with good ones.

Wait... Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...

I'm not the only person who had this idea?

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:06 am »

Wait... Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...

I'm not the only person who had this idea?
Not sure what kind of response I'm supposed to give to this.
So I liked the H&TIC plot, to the point of boribooism that lasted for two years, and they were also a race of miners who then got murderized by some kind of ñ or &. It's an absolutely fitting player civilization.
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats?