Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Random Raw Scripts] What CREATURE_CLASSes are you using in your mods?  (Read 1292 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Ever so slowly, I am working on my mods, and I've reached a point where I am using more CREATURE_CLASS tokens. I'm thinking I can add a few mod-specific creature classes to my Random Raw Scripts  so that the creatures created by the scripts directly click into the mod. So, to start:

For the ANIMAL tags, Direforged currently uses
  • BEASTMASTER_PET - for somewhat creatures that beast masters might tame for war and the like. Used by the wurad and hobgoblins. They also use the more specific WURAD_PET and HOBGOBLIN_PET, respectively, but those are definitely too specific for the scripts.
  • FIEND_LESSER - for a small number of less powerful demon-like creatures like fire imps, nightwings, etc, simulataing demon summoning.
  • BONE_BEAST - for currently two pseudo-undead creatures used by the pseudo-undead itarin. The scripts currently don't create anything like that, but maybe in the future.

The Beasts of Myth/Random Entity scripts currently use WOLF, BEAR, LARGE_CAT in conjunction with a HUGE tag (denoting creatures of size 140000+) for bear/wolf/cat riders, BIRD, SCORPION, and SPIDER for trainers of those creature types, and a few others in the same vein.

I have seen the EXTINCT creature class while reading the LCM stories, but I'm sure there are many more, and so would like which you are using (and that you think could be useful in the random raw scripts).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not quite sure what this is for but my mod dog breeds uses the following:

Dwarves:
[CREATURE_CLASS:MOUNTAIN]

Elves:
[CREATURE_CLASS:FOREST]

Humans:
[CREATURE_CLASS:PLAINS]

Goblins:
[CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL]

Kobolds:
[CREATURE_CLASS:SKULKING]

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

My creature mod includes a lot of creature classes that aren’t actually used anywhere. I don’t have the raws right know, but they are pretty excusively biological classifications, such as BEAR, CARNIVORE_MAMMAL, CANINE, UNGULATE, REPTILE, LIZARD, IGUANA, ARTHROPOD, INSECT, WASP, ANT, CRUSTACEAN, DECAPOD, CRAB etc. The only exception is POISONOUS to make e.g. giant centipedes usable by the vanilla kobolds, and, of course, GENERAL_POISON.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deeper Dwarven Domestication uses the Creature Class:
[CREATURE_CLASS:DWARVEN_PREF_DDD]

I highly recommend all modders try to create class tags that are unique to their mods, to minimize chances of conflict with other mods.

If you go complete opposite and use the most generic as possible, like what brolol does in Dog Breeds (class by civ) or voliol does (with class by genre), that also sets up the possibility of using a universal system that all modders can conform to, which also reduces the chances of mod conflict, but only if the modders and mod users understand how the tags are used and document it well with the mods.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Primal uses EXTINCT, but you've already got that one. However it also uses these:

DINOPATCH_DEP This is for most creatures in the mod, not just dinosaurs.

DINOVERMINPATCH_DEP This is for most biomes' vermin.

ICEAGEPATCH_DEP This is for "Ice Age" creatures, which inhabit mountains, tundras, glaciers, and taiga forests.

ICEVERMINPATCH_DEP Vermin from the Ice Age biomes.

SHRUBPATCH_DEP This is for creatures from the temperate shrublands, which I set aside for recent extinctions and things like dodos, thylacines, and other animals that didn't fit anywhere else.

SHRUBVERMINPATCH_DEP Vermin for the temperate shrublands.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:09:21 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I've got one big mod right now that uses a lot of different creature classes, Spellcrafts;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I use a couple others for other mods:
PET_WAR - implies the creature is war-trainable, used for civs I wanted to adopt any war-trainable critter
PET_VERMIN_HUNTER - similarly, implies it hunts vermin
PET_PACK - again, this time the animal can be used as a pack animal

Any mod that uses creature classes MALE and FEMALE on the appropriate castes for its creatures should thus work with Spellcrafts' transformations as long as they fit other criteria i.e. not POLYPROTECTED and can_learn... speaking of I just found a bug that must be preventing vampires from using transformations. Oops.

Similarly, anything that has CANNOT_LEARN_MAGIC will not be able to learn from essences, any creature with SPELL_PLANTSHROOM will be treated as a plant or mushroom type organism and be vulnerable to blight. COLD_IMMUNE will make it ignore frostbite syndromes, but material properties will have to be changed to prevent it dissolving/crumbling away at extreme cold temperatures.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:44:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile

In my Animal Diversification Project I'll be using CREATURE_CLASS:SKUNK for skunks and stink badgers for the sake of giving them all immunity to skunk spray attack.
Also, I probably should remember I half-promised to add EXTINCT to extinct creatures I make. Oh well, poor scourge's neanderthals will have to wait a bit to ride my long-horned bisons.

In stuff I currently do for LCM there are MDWARF (mountain dwarf), HDWARF (hill dwarf), DROW, HALFLING, HIGHLANDER, ORC, HITO and TFTD (Terror From the Deep, aliens) classes, all of which defining pets for civs. Probably won't be very useful for the script though.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

In my Animal Diversification Project I'll be using CREATURE_CLASS:SKUNK for skunks and stink badgers for the sake of giving them all immunity to skunk spray attack.
Also, I probably should remember I half-promised to add EXTINCT to extinct creatures I make. Oh well, poor scourge's neanderthals will have to wait a bit to ride my long-horned bisons.

In stuff I currently do for LCM there are MDWARF (mountain dwarf), HDWARF (hill dwarf), DROW, HALFLING, HIGHLANDER, ORC, HITO and TFTD (Terror From the Deep, aliens) classes, all of which defining pets for civs. Probably won't be very useful for the script though.

Hmm, I could see this latter method leading to some confusion/conflicts, as e.g. CREATURE_CLASS:ORC could be taken as either the creature being one of the orc civ’s pets, or it being a type of orc itself. ORC_PET or something like it should probably be used instead.