Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: EDF 5 Steam release coming out on the 11th  (Read 4496 times)

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EDF 5 Steam release coming out on the 11th
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 12:06:40 am »

My thoughts on the early squad chatter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 07:19:22 am »

So far a lot of the non-scripted chatter for me has been people spamming "You're good!" hundreds of times or talking about juicy steaks, either making one after going home or turning enemies (even mechanical ones) into steaks.

I got a napalm launcher fairly early on which was really good for those underground missions with choke points, but I wish an upgrade would have dropped because right now the accuracy is so low I have to be touching an enemy to guarantee a hit.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:20:53 am by Ozyton »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 08:28:47 am »

Man, the new song sucks though. It's great that the Wing Diver actually has voice lines for it, but the song still sucks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 01:53:53 am »

It's not bad, but it's hard to beat such classics as 3-1 Our forces have now dwindled and we pull back to regroup.

I've been playing with some friends and we just got stomped like 5 times on a Hard cave mission against a huge gang of shitty ant bosses, it was rough.  Eventually had to cheese it by spamming Air Tortoises.

Also as a Fencer main I feel kinda sad.  Losing the shield glitch to fly around the map was kinda rough.  Extra jumps/dashes kinda help but it's definitely not the same level of sanic.  On top of that most weapons seem to like barely be usable because they're just too slow.  The set up time on stuff like the mortars or the or the biggest cannon almost ensure you're gonna get nailed, especially if you're getting mobbed or focused, so you gotta pack lighter stuff, and then you're just kinda not great I guess.  Like, the spread and damage fall off on the shotguns have you hitting with like 2 out of 20 shots at like 3 ant lengths away, the cannons are either slow or inaccurate and only middlingly damaging, and the miniguns are held back by the spin up time/new damage falloff mechanic/general inaccuracy.  Like I love being able to just have PILES of big dumb guns but I feel like I'm dead weight most of the time.  (Shield accessory, shield, and the quicker melee weapons is robust though).

Air Raider is actually pretty fun now even if the combination of being able to reload with their weapons put away and how beefy, fast, and AoE-y most of their call-in attacks are make them p. OP.  Wing Diver's new weird charge mechanics are pretty cool (if annoying) and the combination of fly button and boost button makes movement fun.   Rangers... uuuuh, I guess the dash is nice and the exploding bullet gun is neat, but they don't seem all that different - though I don't play them much and they do get tanks now I guess.

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 03:59:49 am »

Chatting with npcs and then hearing their random yells and singings.

SO dorfy. :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 06:49:16 am »

Also as a Fencer main I feel kinda sad.  Losing the shield glitch to fly around the map was kinda rough.  Extra jumps/dashes kinda help but it's definitely not the same level of sanic.  On top of that most weapons seem to like barely be usable because they're just too slow.
Fencer had a massive mobility boost in 5, though, once you get geared and know how to use it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 03:22:35 pm »

Grab ton of troopers under your command and sing certain lines or yell EDF.  Probably a few other lines that'll get them to collectively respond.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 04:27:58 pm »

Also as a Fencer main I feel kinda sad.  Losing the shield glitch to fly around the map was kinda rough.  Extra jumps/dashes kinda help but it's definitely not the same level of sanic.  On top of that most weapons seem to like barely be usable because they're just too slow.  The set up time on stuff like the mortars or the or the biggest cannon almost ensure you're gonna get nailed, especially if you're getting mobbed or focused, so you gotta pack lighter stuff, and then you're just kinda not great I guess.  Like, the spread and damage fall off on the shotguns have you hitting with like 2 out of 20 shots at like 3 ant lengths away, the cannons are either slow or inaccurate and only middlingly damaging, and the miniguns are held back by the spin up time/new damage falloff mechanic/general inaccuracy.  Like I love being able to just have PILES of big dumb guns but I feel like I'm dead weight most of the time.  (Shield accessory, shield, and the quicker melee weapons is robust though).

I've been dual-wielding the galleon light cannons as my bread-n-butter.  Fairly quick firing and accurate enough.  2 hits kills ants, spiders, and saucers, so firing both together means I can one-shot them pretty quickly.  Even does so at long range.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2019, 06:15:44 pm »

I just cleared map 37 for the first time...crazy good map for farming loot!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 02:53:11 am »

Also as a Fencer main I feel kinda sad.  Losing the shield glitch to fly around the map was kinda rough.  Extra jumps/dashes kinda help but it's definitely not the same level of sanic.  On top of that most weapons seem to like barely be usable because they're just too slow.
Fencer had a massive mobility boost in 5, though, once you get geared and know how to use it.
I mean, okay, I'm super looking forward to that when I get there, BUT that's hardly applicable at Normal/Hard.  I'm at like mission 40 and JUST got the accessory to do 2 of both jumps and dashes.  Also feels like Japanese voice acting has a different feel, because that's seems like way less ridiculous and campy.

I far I've been mucking about with just like the blasthole/spine driver and a shield.  I never really used the shields before except to jet around but now I just kinda hold it up constantly in fights like I'm a Dark Souls newbie and I finally feel like I'm indestructible instead of a huge gimp with big, but mostly slow/bad weapons.  The blasthole/spine driver can actually fire before you stop dashing so it's dope for kiting.  I wish the Jackhammer would work too, it reloads fast and I love just firing it and having everything just disappear in giant clouds of blood until whatever I'm punching falls over.

The other set is kinda situational.  Most of the other weapons tend to be like, niche, at best, I guess?  The big cannons have range and damage but it's only really possible to use them when nothing's bothering you and no one's trying to kill you because of the long recoil animations.  The shotguns seem kinda crap except for the heaviest version.  The spin up, inaccuracy, and damage falloff on the miniguns make them kinda questionably effective I think, so the only really useful fast weapon seems to be the lighter shoulder cannon I guess.  Usually want a jumping weapon too, but tend to not really combine weapons... gotta have that double-minigun dakka or the quicker animations with double-big cannons.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 07:36:07 pm »

I mean, okay, I'm super looking forward to that when I get there, BUT that's hardly applicable at Normal/Hard.  I'm at like mission 40 and JUST got the accessory to do 2 of both jumps and dashes.  Also feels like Japanese voice acting has a different feel, because that's seems like way less ridiculous and campy.

I far I've been mucking about with just like the blasthole/spine driver and a shield.  I never really used the shields before except to jet around but now I just kinda hold it up constantly in fights like I'm a Dark Souls newbie and I finally feel like I'm indestructible instead of a huge gimp with big, but mostly slow/bad weapons.  The blasthole/spine driver can actually fire before you stop dashing so it's dope for kiting.  I wish the Jackhammer would work too, it reloads fast and I love just firing it and having everything just disappear in giant clouds of blood until whatever I'm punching falls over.

The other set is kinda situational.  Most of the other weapons tend to be like, niche, at best, I guess?  The big cannons have range and damage but it's only really possible to use them when nothing's bothering you and no one's trying to kill you because of the long recoil animations.  The shotguns seem kinda crap except for the heaviest version.  The spin up, inaccuracy, and damage falloff on the miniguns make them kinda questionably effective I think, so the only really useful fast weapon seems to be the lighter shoulder cannon I guess.  Usually want a jumping weapon too, but tend to not really combine weapons... gotta have that double-minigun dakka or the quicker animations with double-big cannons.
Yeah, it sucks to level up as. I just did Ranger/Wing Diver to finish the story and start farming for it on Inferno.

3. Run Resize Enable

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 08:13:49 pm »

I've figured out (well, been told how) that you can fling yourself if you dash and immediately jump jet as a fencer.  Also, dashes recharge more than fast enough to eschew the extra dashes equipment, and can take something like less recoil instead.

But yeah, fling myself into the air and blasthole spear a drone right out of the sky.

Also mission 25 has a drivable kei truck for... some reason.  I was really confused, as a fencer I can only hop in the truck bed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2019, 04:43:24 pm »

I've figured out (well, been told how) that you can fling yourself if you dash and immediately jump jet as a fencer.  Also, dashes recharge more than fast enough to eschew the extra dashes equipment, and can take something like less recoil instead.

But yeah, fling myself into the air and blasthole spear a drone right out of the sky.

Also mission 25 has a drivable kei truck for... some reason.  I was really confused, as a fencer I can only hop in the truck bed.

It's because in this setting women and beefy men can't drive.

(The actual reason is probably supposed to be their armor/jetpacks making it difficult to sit in a seat without a bunch of extra room.)

3. Run Resize Enable

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 06:03:54 pm »

It was more so this one civie truck, of all the random window dressing cars and trucks, functions.

The mission also has a drivable tank, which I assumed as a fencer was just there as an ally, as there's no "get in" highlight around it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 09:27:33 pm »

I've noticed a handful of missions have drivable trucks. There are certain attacks that don't do anything if you're in a truck so maybe that's why.

I'm also noticing a lot of mission in this game are psuedo stealthy where the enemy doesn't know where you are at all times. I can't remember a single mission like that in 4.1, but they really seem to like that kind of mission since they keep using it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4