Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: EDF 5 Steam release coming out on the 11th  (Read 4494 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: EDF 5 Steam release coming out on the 11th
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 05:05:05 am »

Well, its here and so far it is awesome.

This calls for a party.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 10:41:02 am »

*applause*

That was hilarious.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 11:04:33 am »

Mouse issues make the game completely unplayable for me. I'm going to give it a few hours to see if any solutions show up on the forums before I refund.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 12:51:48 pm »

Man, I just hope those damned web spiders can't shoot and grapple me through buildings this time.
You have any buildings left in your battles?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 01:39:57 pm »

Remember, you're the Earth Defense Force, not the City Defense Force.
If the city has any buildings left you're not using enough dakka.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 04:30:12 pm »

So just started playing, only really got through the tutorial so far. Is anyone else having a small issue where the game hangs for a second or two when opening the voice wheel, or going to the equipment menu?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 05:46:08 pm »

So just started playing, only really got through the tutorial so far. Is anyone else having a small issue where the game hangs for a second or two when opening the voice wheel, or going to the equipment menu?
Yeah, I've been seeing that one a lot on the steam forum. I think the solution is to disable OpenGL and play in windowed mode.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 12:15:05 pm »

So, I bought EDF4.1 on sale some time ago, but never got around to actually playing it. But I have played some of the prior entries and do love the series.

Would I be fine playing 4.1 for now and waiting for 5 to go on sale, or is 5 enough of an upgrade to warrant leapfrogging? (And maybe returning to 4.1 later.)

If it makes a difference, I tend to play the (edit: whatever the man-sized mech is called) & mechanic/support classes.

And, while I'm here... I only ever played this couch co-op or solo; never tried netplay. Is this a voice-comms-required sort of game or am I fine being a mute?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 12:18:59 pm »

Never played EDF so I went ahead and got 5. 

Possibly the stupidest game I've ever played in my life, but it uses that to its benefit.  The sheer amount of weapons is fun, though a lot of them don't seem very good.  I tried the goliath and fork launchers out and was disappointed, it feels more efficient to use machineguns for pylons and stuff than spend all that time reloading.
Shoes...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 01:00:50 pm »

The sheer amount of weapons is fun, though a lot of them don't seem very good.

If it's anything like the prior entries, some of the weapons are either meant as jokes, are hilariously situational, or are intended as early prototypes of actually-useful weapons (narrative!). In one of the earlier games I picked up a grenade that was incredibly powerful and had a huge blast radius, but it was too heavy to throw far -- so if you threw it on flat ground, you'd be caught in the blast radius and instantly die.

In some later missions there were vertical areas delving into insect hives, where those grenades made excellent death-from-above.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 01:09:12 pm »

As an idiot, totally new to the series, I started the game off in Hard mode. 
Made it to the bipedal enemies, playing as the flier with a group of random people who also started new.

There were some really tough missions, specifically the first saucer mission. 
Also tried doing the same with the air support character.  Carpet bombs are the solution to everything.  The mortar is also nice to have for the short cooldown.  The sniper rifle is also pretty decent, except for the fact that it typically takes the whole clip to kill 1 enemy on hard.  I'll probably look to replacing that with the decoy I recently picked up... and just look pretty or something when not calling down doom.

If only there was another weapon slot.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 01:43:31 pm »

Apparently it's easier than 4.1 from what I've heard. I know that I had to grind out some 10 or so missions on normal before being able to complete the first mission on hard, and even then I had to cheese it with the wing diver and basically kiting the swarm while slowly thinning it down. Might be easier in coop, not sure if enemy numbers/hp scales with player numbers.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »

I haven't had much trouble playing the ranger on Hard.  I'm on level 10, only died once using the fencer on the first city mission with all the pylons.  Been using the minion buster, the purple gun with the bullets that explode after they hit.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 01:54:47 pm »

Holy hell I can't believe I missed this for two whole days. Already bought and downloading.

Apparently it's easier than 4.1 from what I've heard. I know that I had to grind out some 10 or so missions on normal before being able to complete the first mission on hard, and even then I had to cheese it with the wing diver and basically kiting the swarm while slowly thinning it down. Might be easier in coop, not sure if enemy numbers/hp scales with player numbers.
Enemies did scale with player count in 4.1, no reason why they wouldn't here.

I hope it's not actually meaningfully easier, the difficulty was a big part of the fun.

Okay, played a bit. I don't care so much about difficulty now, because the quality of life changes are massive.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:01:53 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 06:34:06 pm »

There are a couple hard missions.  To my chagrin I had to drop to regular for the remake of Crimson.

I still can't believe how stupid this game is.  It's great.  Talking about the "humanoid aliens" that look just like us, wondering how they can possibly bring themselves to  kill something that looks just like a human, and then you see them and they're thirty foot tall frogs.  The next mission the captain tells his hypothesis that the aliens see with their eyes, and if they can't see us they won't be able to shoot us.  It takes him three full minutes to explain this.

And of course the fact that nobody in this world has apparently seen an ant before.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4