Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does Biome Support have any absolute meaning?  (Read 1053 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does Biome Support have any absolute meaning?
« on: July 07, 2019, 08:50:28 am »

The question I have is this, does Biome Support work in an absolute sense or does it only work in a relative sense.  So if I set [BIOME_SUPPORT] to 10 for all environments does that increase the density of the settlements of that faction as opposed to setting everything to 1, or does it only work relatively so that this will do nothing at all since all values are the same?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Does Biome Support have any absolute meaning?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 06:01:46 pm »

I am fairly sure that Biome Support means that the civ can spread to the specified biomes, while the number determines how likely they're to go to that biome. THAT SAID, the numers are relative. So if you got support for wetlands as 1 and grasslands as 2, it means there's double the chance of them colonizing a grasslands biome first.

So all at 10 means the same as all at 1.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 01:08:57 pm »

I am fairly sure that Biome Support means that the civ can spread to the specified biomes, while the number determines how likely they're to go to that biome. THAT SAID, the numers are relative. So if you got support for wetlands as 1 and grasslands as 2, it means there's double the chance of them colonizing a grasslands biome first.

So all at 10 means the same as all at 1.

So we cannot use it as a form of population control to favor the growth of certain civilizations and not others?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 02:38:33 pm »

Directly no, not yet at least.

Limiting the prefered sites to only caves does put a limit on their growth (about 300 people/cave) but it isn't exactly ideal from a modder's perspective. You could also try to make a custom world gen profile that limits the available areas but again that won't necessarily result in controlling their pop.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 03:31:49 pm »

Squamous has found if you make the SUPPORT a LAKE or OCEAN you can limit them to one fort/settlement because they can't expand into those biomes

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:13:57 pm »

Squamous has found if you make the SUPPORT a LAKE or OCEAN you can limit them to one fort/settlement because they can't expand into those biomes
I thought that was just starting biome?

Anyway, it used to be possible to have ocean cities. Shame Toady changed that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 07:07:49 pm »

Maybe it was the starting biome? I wasn't following too hard I guess.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 10:04:29 pm »

I can confirm from my own experiments that, for amphibious creatures at least, setting OCEAN as a supported and/or start biome does nothing to stop their reckless expansion. However, traveling to their towns and hamlets as an adventurer yields absolutely nothing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that because the towns are registering populations, they're staying abstracted in worldgen but doing something weird when actually rendered in-game. That something may be spawning in the caverns, but I can't prove it.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!