Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Interplanetary Arms Race: Planetary Technate  (Read 31503 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interplanetary Arms Race: Side Two
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »

I think that the GBAL is a neat proposal, and also more interesting than 99% of the other proposal, so have feedback: It's going to be Very Hard because you have some insistence on it being a mobile genetic modification lab instead of just collecting samples. I can't imagine a mobile lab capable of doing genetic modification possessing any major benefits over a stationary lab. Justify it, though, and it might provide some other bonuses on a decent roll.

Anyway, aside from the slight issues, thebasic idea is cool, would be treated as a design providing experience towards biomodification, and could provide one or two GPP if you roll well because it will be capable of producing exotic and rare things, at least in small quantities.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 03:07:45 pm »

So, on the one hand, we need to get the basics down. On the other... I really like the idea of opening the doors to biotech early.
Eh, it'll be fine. Worst case scenario, we may require an additional turn to deploy well-armed troops.
I'm assuming that Madman's not-so-subtle suggestion will be implemented, removing the unnecessary portable nature.

Quote from: Lore & Design
Team Name
Social Democracy of Eidolons (1): SC777
Planetary Technate(3): Flabort, DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13
Celestial Democracy of the People's Republic (1): TricMagic
Mereth Planetary Settlement Force: (1)  m1895

Type of Government
Technocratic Meritocracy (4): DoubloonSeven, SC777, m1895, NUKE9.13
Union's/People's Representative Democracy: (2) TricMagic, Flabort

Design Choice 1:
MIF//EU-100 "Longarm Reactor"(5): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, SC777, Flabort, NUKE9.13
Metal Printing (1): TricMagic

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
”Eyebite” - MCLC: (2) SC777, DoubloonSeven
Technorganic Construction: (0)
Genetic and Biotech Advancement Laboratory: (2) Flabort, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2019, 03:11:44 pm »

I'll be subtle later. Right now I want to make sure I'm not going to surprise anyone with my own unique way of thinking about things, so I don't surprise you guys too much, at least when I don't want to surprise you, anyway.

Either justify it for bonuses in the field, or remove it and decrease the difficulty (but sacrificing said bonuses), or I guess leave it and maybe a good roll will make me reconsider. I just can't imagine much of a benefit to having a super mobile laboratory setup when you're working with something as delicate, difficult, and long-term as genetics tends to be.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2019, 03:14:52 pm »

Yeah, I'd be tempted to switch my vote if it becomes a static facility. I'm not sure that mobility is important for noncombatants doing research.

Avanti!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 03:15:05 pm »

I'm assuming that Madman's not-so-subtle suggestion will be implemented, removing the unnecessary portable nature.

It's not unnecessary. It is harder to justify than it is to remove, but I would prefer justifying it to removing it. Tell you what, I will add a secondary version.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 03:33:24 pm »

So long as we can set them up quickly on worlds we visit. Would that work?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 03:36:01 pm »

Post has been edited with
  • Justification
  • Alternative static version
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 04:03:58 pm »

Team Name
Planetary Technate(3): Flabort, DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13

Type of Government
Technocratic Meritocracy (4): DoubloonSeven, SC777, m1895, NUKE9.13

Design Choice 1:
MIF//EU-100 "Longarm Reactor"(5): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, SC777, Flabort, NUKE9.13

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
”Eyebite” - MCLC: (2) SC777, DoubloonSeven
Genetic and Biotech Advancement Laboratory: (3) Flabort, NUKE9.13, TricMagic
GBAL Alternative: (0)

I like the ability to deploy them quickly. Mostly cause I want to turn native sealife into our own weapons on the water planet.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 04:37:32 pm »

Team Name
Planetary Technate(4): Flabort, DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13, Happerry

Type of Government
Technocratic Meritocracy (5): DoubloonSeven, SC777, m1895, NUKE9.13, Happerry

Design Choice 1:

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
”Eyebite” - MCLC: (3) SC777, DoubloonSeven, Happerry
GBAL Alternative: (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2019, 11:44:13 pm »

Not the biggest fan of Planetary Technate but I don't actively dislike it and have no other options, so oh well.

Anyways, fusion is boring and we should go for something that makes this interesting. So I propose this phlebotinum (of which the general concept was approved by Madman via discord):

Design: Evrasium (sorry about the name)

We finally found out what happened to the First. And what those multicolored shards were.
Turns out that when they fired the final set of re-entry boosters, they inadvertently discovered Evrasium. Pretty big fluke too, considering that the deposit they almost landed on is the only one we know of at all so far. Light from the rockets managed to provoke a volatile reaction from the deposit, subsequently tearing off one of the three boosters and sending the craft way off course.

At least, this is what we think happened. While the first expeditions to the site of the First found the shards (now determined to be remnant Evrasium) and the remnants of the vessel, the latest one managed to find the deposit. Testing of the samples and plenty of simulations have lead to the aforementioned theory.

So with the fate of the First (likely) determined, we can look towards making use of what it inadvertently and disastrously uncovered. Evrasium is, in simplest terms, a form of light-sensitive crystal. In fact, it bears remarkable similarities to the theorized "time crystal" -- not only does the structure repeat in space, but it also repeats in time. Unlike theorized time crystals, Evrasium does seem to perpetually store work, and -- based on our current experiments -- may actually break the law of thermodynamics. We're sure further study will prove that assumption incorrect, but the fact it still appears this way after experiments is still remarkable.
Evrasium, while still a crystal, is made out of tiny discrete unaligned structures. Normally the crystal's form changes in a pattern over time, but when these photosensitive structures are exposed to significant amounts of electromagnetic radiation (read: light), they can align themselves breaking the time crystal and releasing stored work as kinetic energy. So when the First's third booster engine fired above the Evrasium deposit, it appeared to have created a chain reaction that the ship simply wasn't prepared for. Interestingly, based on destruction patterns in the booster the origin of the force occurred above the crystals, closer to the actual ship. Our best guess so far is that this has something to do with the time-based repeating structure. This has major implications for usage of Evrasium in technology.
In summary, Evrasium is similar to a "time crystal", a crystal that repeats in both space and time. Unlike theorized time crystals, it effectively stores energy in itself through this time pattern, and the aligning of multiple microstructures inside the crystal via photosensivity can release this energy. So far it seems to break thermodynamics but the jury's still out on that especially considering how important thermodynamics is.

So far, the best we've been able to do with Evrasium crystals is invoke relatively-catastrophic destruction of them via application of light, releasing "stored" energy all at once. Unfortunately, several times the releasing of said energy happened outside the containment chambers. We've since made adjustments to containment. Namely putting them in a really big really deep hole until we can start predicting the seemingly random relative locations where the energy is released.

We think we may be able to do great things with Evrasium, as crude as our application and knowledge of it is at the moment.

TL;DR: Something akin to a time crystal, except the nature of the structure actually stores the kinetic work inside despite all (known) logic. When exposed to light, microstructures inside release stored work (energy) vaguely near the crystals in a (so far and seemingly) random location.
We can use it for so many things, and it's made to have lots of potential but to not overpower us at the start (so it doesn't give Madman balance concerns over creating it now). Namely, we can use it for energy. We just need to create an application design of it next turn.

Team Name

Type of Government

Design Choice 1:
Evrasium (1): Chiefwaffles

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
"Eyebite" - MCLC: (4) SC777, DoubloonSeven, Happerry, Chiefwaffles
Not the biggest fan of the Eyebite but it's a tiebreaker and I'm less of a fan of genetic engineering.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:06 pm »

Team Name

Type of Government

Design Choice 1:
Evrasium (2): Chiefwaffles, Happerry

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
Evrasium seems cool. And same on the Planetary Technate, it's not what I like most, it's what I dislike least.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:26 pm »

I like the idea, and you can actually do something with it---you don't need a design to invent it, this isn't IWAR. You have the material, now do something with it---if you were to for instance create a basic reactor exploiting the fact that when you shine a light on it the rock gets angry and telekinetically punches something, that's probably going to be fine. You could expect it to be of roughly, roughly, equal power and difficulty to a comparable fusion reactor.

And also yeah, the name is going to be unpleasant to type repeatedly.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2019, 12:17:31 am »

Since Madman said we don't have to spend a design on Evrasium.
Aggravated Evrasium Reactor
So Evrasium always has a higher energy state than the surrounding environment. But this is boring. For the purposes of this design, we'll be saying that it is an angry rock that hates light. And we will be using its punches to power our ships. But we can just have a smug feeling that we may have probably broken thermodynamics, constantly in the back of our minds.

Aa-nyy-waays. While it undoubtedly has much more complex, precise, elegant, etc., applications, for now we figured we can start by using it to power things. Simply, for now, since we kind of have a time constraint. Turns out that when held in a strictly-controlled atmosphere of inert gases with confounding variables removed, we can actually predict and even control where the punches releases of energy will happen.

The Aggravated Evrasium Reactor, or AER, makes use of this phenomenon. A single chunk of Evrasium crystal is suspended (by sound waves, turns out it cares not for sound) in the middle of a large spherical chamber with a controlled inert gas atmosphere. Rotating rings covered in high-powered lasers are placed on the inner edges of the chamber, along with a few sensors to evaluate the status of how angry the rock is current crystal aggravation. When a crystal is placed inside, the reactor has to be calibrated for its specifications to be able to provoke energy releases in a controlled matter.
Upon activation of the reactor, the laser rings begin spinning up to operation speed and precise laser pulses at precise spots in the crystal allow it to release punches energy in an adjacent sub-chamber, where several turbines convert the kinetic energy into electrical energy. Sure, turbines are crude and with something like Evrasium you may think there's a better way to gather energy, but let's keep it simple(, stupid) for now. Energy for the lasers is a concern, and they're powered by a separate battery that can be powered by the reactor itself, tertiary/emergency generators and, if you've got about 3-6 hours to spare, a hand-crank.   

We're not quite sure about "fuel" here. Crystals do have to occasionally be replaced, but that's just because of (initially) unexpected decrease in energy output. We're not actually sure if the crystals are "running out" of energy (there's a good chance they literally do not run out as long as they're intact), but that's not a huge concern for now. We'll just pencil Evrasium into our supply chains and think about it more later.

Team Name

Type of Government

Design Choice 1:
Aggravated Evrasium Reactor (1): Chiefwaffles

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:37:19 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2019, 12:54:51 am »

Team Name
Planetary Technate(5): Flabort, DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13, Happerry, Wozzy

Type of Government
Technocratic Meritocracy (6): DoubloonSeven, SC777, m1895, NUKE9.13, Happerry, Wozzy

Design Choice 1:
Aggravated Evrasium Reactor (2): Chiefwaffles, Wozzy

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
Genetic and Biotech Advancement Laboratory: (4) Flabort, NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Wozzy
I would prefer the static GBAL, but I can settle on the modular one.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2019, 01:06:35 am »

Mmm. Time to vote finally I think. (Also Happerry, note that when Chief added the Evrasium Reactor design he did not append your vote to it in spite of you voting for Evrasium. To be fair though, you were voting for Evrasium itself, he couldn't have known if you would support a reactor using the stuff as well. While annoying, you might wish to revisit the votebox.)

Team Name
Planetary Technate (5): Flabort, DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13, Happerry, Wozzy

Type of Government
Technocratic Meritocracy (6): DoubloonSeven, SC777, m1895, NUKE9.13, Happerry, Wozzy

Design Choice 1:
Aggravated Evrasium Reactor (3): Chiefwaffles, Wozzy, Jilladilla

Design Choice 2:
MIF//EU-100 (X):
"Eyebite" - MCLC: (5) SC777, DoubloonSeven, Happerry, Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla
Genetic and Biotech Advancement Laboratory: (4) Flabort, NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Wozzy

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30