Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Time Before Time: A Gridhood Game (Turn 4)  (Read 11061 times)

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time Before Time: A Gridhood Game (Turn 2)
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2019, 04:18:53 pm »

I wouldn't expect too much out of Gilbert. Unless you are expecting more ice tiles. In which case, I guess you can expect much of Gilbert.

I'm working under the assumption that he would've posted before now if he wanted to modify a tile or something. At the moment I'm just trying to crunch all the numbers-- I have to make a ton of stuff up as I go, so it's slow going...
Thanks for the effort you put into this game!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2019, 04:44:36 pm »

While I of course appreciate all the work you are putting into the game as well, I must also urge you to consider how you are going to manage it when things start to get a bit more complex. I might recommend the creation of a sort of spreadsheet utility or something for determining worker foraging results or something?

What I'm trying to say is, we all want this game to last a long long time. Make sure that your game doesn't break you down.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 05:04:03 pm »

Gilbert keeps waiting for FP since this wave of gridhoods apparently has a 3 FP requirement for tile creation unlike the 1 FP requirement the other gridhood waves had.
it's over

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 06:07:38 pm »

Gilbert keeps waiting for FP since this wave of gridhoods apparently has a 3 FP requirement for tile creation unlike the 1 FP requirement the other gridhood waves had.
Creating a tile always cost 3 FP, though

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Time Before Time: A Gridhood Game (Turn 3)
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 06:38:54 pm »

Turn 3

As Root lavishes his blessings upon the green places of the world, Flare and Pyro, antithetical to each other, compete to make their presences known amongst mortal kind...

Recognizing the needs of his worshippers, Pyro fashions marvellous berries of incandescent fire, scattering them over the barren fields of D-3. He then raises a sun-scorched desert at E-5, thereby establishing himself in the lands of the Igwam Tribe.

D-3 has gained the modifer: Abundant Food.

Flare, disgruntled at Pyro's disruption of her ocean, decides to flank his volcanic waste with good clean water, creating an expanse of ocean at E-3. Then, keen to the needs of her worshippers, Flare bestows an abundance of food upon their homeland at C-3; the island trembles as a wave of succulent, salt-tinged growth washes over it! Truly, the doglings shall eat well in years to come!

C-3 has gained the modifer: Abundant Food.

Less competitive than his fellow deities, benevolent Root seeks only to aid those mortals who need it most. With carefree cheer he casts his blessings over the land-- a fruit tree here, a berry bush there-- and by the time he's through, the lands of B-4 and D-5 are looking greener and healthier than ever before! Root smiles, and leaves the mortals to their doings.

The tiles B-4 and D-5 have gained the modifer: Abundant Food. D-5 has reached maximum food density! See below for details.

Olan Reg
    A worker sets out to search for whatever sparse vegetation it might find, and discovers tight-clinging bushes of fiery red berries, scattered across the C-3 fields! With great rejoicing the worker sets out to gather the blessings of its god; it proudly returns with 2 food units' worth of berries.
    A second worker decides to try its luck in the waters of D-3. It quickly learns two things: it cannot safely travel deep enough to gather from the ocean floor, and it hasn't the first idea how fishing works. Disgruntled, the worker returns to C-3 to help pick berries; less competent than its fellow, it only manages to gather a single food unit's worth. Water tiles cannot be traversed without special tech or a dedicated boon.
    A third worker, observing the sharp edges of the volcanic stone surrounding it, wonders if it might be worked into more useful forms. Taking up two nicely sized chunks of rock, the worker begins to experiment... Aspect triggered! +2 towards completion of the Primitive Toolmaking tech.
    Two final workers, concerned for the future of their people, pray to Pyro for further aid. Pyro gains 2 FP.

Dog Empire
A miracle! The island is lush with growth from the sea, strange fruits touched with salt! 2 workers set out to gather, but luck is against them; they bring back only 3 units of food.
    1 worker, eager to put his opposable thumbs to good use, grabs a couple convenient chunks of rock and begins smashing 'em together! He's just having fun at the moment, but he's casting off some rather nice rock shards in the process... Aspect triggered! +2 towards completion of the Primitive Toolmaking tech.
    1 worker prays to Flare for guidance. Flare gains 1 FP.
    1 worker does... absolutely nothing. You only posted actions for 4 of your workers!

Confederation of Deer
2 workers, more fortunate than those of their fellow civs, forage at B-4 and find 7 units of food! (Root gains 2 FP.)
3 further workers, eager to expand upon their previous agricultural research, begin to experiment with the knapping of rock. Working together, they soon devise a usable tool! +4 towards completion of the Primitive Toolmaking tech. Research complete!
Root gains 1 FP for the completion of this intriguing foraging tool.

Igwam Tribe
The rainforest of D-5 was lush before, but now it bursts with fruit in a way no mortal land ever could! 2 Igwam workers stagger into the woods, to try and gather of the bounty... and return home with 8 units of food, enough for the cycle and more! (Root gains 2 FP.)
    Realizing the value of deific aid, an Igwam worker sets about offering proper thanksgiving to its benefactor, Root. Root gains 1 FP.
    Hearing the crude attempts of its fellow, an Igwam worker decides to devise a more eloquent sort of prayer... +3 towards completion of the Improved Prayer tech.
    A lone Igwam worker thinks long and hard on its findings of the past cycle, sorting and re-sorting in its mind the various plants it has studied... +3 towards completion of the Improved Foraging tech. Research complete!
Tech unlocked: Improved Foraging II. Improved Foraging II is dangerous to research-- be wary!
Root gains 3 FP.

Spoiler: Confederation of Deer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dog Empire (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Igwam Tribe (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Olan Reg (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gods (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tiles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:31:38 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »

Flare, God of Water, sighs as the tides turn.

Continuing on, she blesses the Ocean bed of E-3 with Abundant Food, to some purpose.

Thinking, she would advise the one she blessed not to let others forage so they don't run out too quickly.

Also wonder why the Olan Reg taking a dip didn't trigger anything.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:51:22 am by TricMagic »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Gridhood: It begins! (Turn 1)
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 07:03:23 pm »

The Federate of Om emerges into the waters of E3.
Aspect: Farmer
Boon: Amphibious
Bane: Strictly Herbivorous

Quote from: Close Encounters of a Burned Kind
Varo glid through the dim stretches of the middle ocean, feet kicking behind her. The light of the sun is a faint and sickly thing, here. The few strands of kelp her fellow Omians had found where they had appeared were on an oceanic plateau, not enough to sustain a full life. No, the true bounty would come closer to the shore, where the sun could touch the silt and fish could wind between the kelp stalks. Somehow, she and her companions had known that land would be this way, a sense without sight.

There! Up ahead in the distance through the murky leagues of sea, Varo could barely spot a promontory. This would be the start of the shallows, and the start of a new world! She could hardly contain the excitement, she was going to practically explode with it!

CRACK

Oh my. The promontory...had just exploded. Had she done that? Was she magic? Varo swam closer to investigate, past the chunks of rock that now were sinking into the depths after the explosion, and right up to a hole with a peculiar light from within. The water was hot here, and as the Omian peered into the shaft, she stared into a terrible abyss, glowing an angry orange as water hissed and bubbled out from it.

Just what were the the Omians getting themselves into?

Settle at E3
2 workers Forage
3 workers research "Kelp Farming"

Avanti!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2019, 07:14:36 pm »

Creating a tile always cost 3 FP, though

Well, in older Gridhoods, it only took 1 FP to create a new tile out of a blank one.

Anyways, Gilbert watches the dispute between gods in the east, grabbing popcorn and making B1 into a liquid nitrogen-based volcanic field for fun. waiting for prayers since apparently the earlier turns are FP starves.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:32:37 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2019, 07:31:43 pm »

Thanks for the effort you put into this game!
Of course! I'm enjoying myself. :)

While I of course appreciate all the work you are putting into the game as well, I must also urge you to consider how you are going to manage it when things start to get a bit more complex. I might recommend the creation of a sort of spreadsheet utility or something for determining worker foraging results or something?

What I'm trying to say is, we all want this game to last a long long time. Make sure that your game doesn't break you down.
Hm, yes. I intend to take measures to cut GM workload a bit next turn, and things should be somewhat easier now that I've got some structure laid out.

Well, in older Gridhoods, it only took 1 FP to create a new tile out of a blank one.

Anyways, Gilbert watches the dispute between gods in the east, grabbing popcorn and making B1 into a liquid nitrogen-based volcanic field for fun.
In older Gridhoods, the grid was bigger. As with TricMagic's, I'm jacking the cost of tile creation up a bit to account for the premium space is at here.

Er, also... a liquid-nitrogen volcanic field is a supernatural climate, and thus more expensive to create than the standard. I'll put a price tag in the OP, but you'd have to wait a bit further yet to create that one.

klonk
Sigtext

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2019, 07:32:25 pm »

Igwam Tribe

(I am genuinely surprised that I got 8 food this turn given the circumstances. I'm assuming that it is a result of a max roll or something. No need to tell me, it should probably remain a mystery. Unless it was a GM error.)

Igwam Tribe has collected a surprising amount of food, in no small part thanks to a combination of the blessings of Root as well as plain and simple luck. It was clear to the Igwam Tribe that additional prayer was warranted. Given the circumstances and the impressive progress towards their current research project, it was decided that Root would probably be willing to wait just a bit longer.

It is hypothesized among the Igwam that their research ability has an impressive base x3 multiplier, however, research is just as prone to being screwed up as everything else that the Igwam do which is one possible explanation for the time they gained the (relatively) low 5 progress from 3 workers research. Not wanting to delay progress, two workers were assigned to this project.

With more than 2 turns worth of food at the ready, it is decided that population should be increased at this time. Another worker decides that this too is a subject worthy of study.

1 worker is created at the cost of 3 food.
2 workers forage for food at D5
2 workers research Prayer
1 workers begins researches on Procreation
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:58:21 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2019, 07:35:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1 worker researches Aprilmitive Toolmaking
2 workers pray to Pyro
1 worker forages at D3
1 worker researches Fishing

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2019, 08:05:33 pm »

2 workers research Prayer
1 workers begins researches on Procreation

I was about to say "for the person who created the first gridhood game wave, you sure forgot praying and reproduction are available from the beginning" before I realized you specifically made your civ have a huge research bonus in exchange for having to research normally instantly available stuff and have other annoying maluses.

I mean, it's kinda interesting that you decided to run an extremely minmax-based civ. Well done. In the mean time, I'll keep on creating ice tiles until something happens.
it's over

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »

When I first saw that civ, the first thing in my head was: "That's as cheesy as all get-out." The second thing was: "I really want to see what happens if I say 'yes'." It's been entertaining so far.  :D

klonk
Sigtext

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2019, 08:16:11 pm »

The Dog Empire
1 worker researches tool use
2 workers pray to Flare
1 prays to Gilbert
1 worker blessed researches wood gathering
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:51:55 am by TheRedwolf »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2019, 08:18:40 pm »

Observations:
The Primitive Toolmaking and Improved Foraging techs are outside the civilization spoilers. This seems like an error because the Primitive House Creation tech is inside the spoiler. I'll also mention that the Primitive House Creation technology does not state what is required in order to create Primitive Houses. In my game, having a worker build something will typically fulfill 1 "Labor" and buildings would require a certain amount of labor to create. For example, a farm may require 5 or 10 Labor. So if a building would just require a worker to build on a turn and no special materials, it would have a cost of 1 labor.

Another thing I noticed is that technology has a rather low cost in this game. Its not a problem per se, but the faster technology can be researched, the more work you'll need to do in order to decide on research effects. I would offer the following advice: Not all research needs to be immediately powerful. Though I certainly noticed that the next tier of improved foraging says it is dangerous, so it seems you have at least one solution in mind for this problem already.

In regards to 0cra_tr0per's comment, I don't think I actually need to research basic things. I am researching them because I'm trying to make them more powerful. These are actions that I will be using a LOT, so it makes sense to do research with it in mind. I'm curious to see what the GM comes up with for these techs. The "Completely Inept" bane cannot and should not be dispelled by a few basic techs. My guys will be bumbling things up even if they have nuclear power plants.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12