Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: A list of stupid mod ideas  (Read 8178 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
A list of stupid mod ideas
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:05:18 pm »

so, once again, I feel directionless in my modding, I havent done much in a looong while. So, I wanna throw some ideas out.

1. a Neopets total-conversion mod. Neopets, being a long running website that somehow still exists, has all kinda of items and creatures to work with, so it could actually be incredibly interesting. It even has a decent variety of potential megabeasts, such as Chiazilla, The Snowager, and more.

2. Another Fallout mod attempt. Aside from the only races in Fallout being Humans, Super Mutants, Ghouls, and a handful of more gimmicky races (including a couple relegated to cut content), this seems doable, if a little small, and I wouldnt have any idea how to add guns properly without using DFhack

3. Bring back my old idea for a Starbound inspired mod, including plants like the Oculemon. I've done some work on it before, but abandoned it

4. Kitten Fortress: An Epic Battle Fantasy inspired mod where you pit the Kitten Kingdom against all sorts of series foes.

5. a simpler mod that just adds more plants, both fanciful and real, to the game.

What do yall think of these 5? Some have a lot more potential than others, but i think I could do them all some form of justice.

Update: More random franchise mod ideas

6. A Kingdom/West of Loathing mod (This one sounds also incredibly hard... but silly. Could go well with the Epic Battle Fantasy if I made a compilation mod)

7. Terraria (Also a silly semi-fantasy world!)

8. Cryptids!!!

9. Xanth-Esque Pun creatures

10: Wizard101, because yet another fantasy world that doesnt take itself too seriously, which I think lends best to DF

11. Don't Starve also has a world ripe for messing with.

12. "Do SOmEtHiNG oRIgINal"

In all seriousness, I might go Epic Battle Fantasy after all
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:28:24 am by Kyubee »
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A list of stupid mod ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:28:41 pm »

so, once again, I feel directionless in my modding, I havent done much in a looong while. So, I wanna throw some ideas out.

1. a Neopets total-conversion mod. Neopets, being a long running website that somehow still exists, has all kinda of items and creatures to work with, so it could actually be incredibly interesting. It even has a decent variety of potential megabeasts, such as Chiazilla, The Snowager, and more.

2. Another Fallout mod attempt. Aside from the only races in Fallout being Humans, Super Mutants, Ghouls, and a handful of more gimmicky races (including a couple relegated to cut content), this seems doable, if a little small, and I wouldnt have any idea how to add guns properly without using DFhack

3. Bring back my old idea for a Starbound inspired mod, including plants like the Oculemon. I've done some work on it before, but abandoned it

4. Kitten Fortress: An Epic Battle Fantasy inspired mod where you pit the Kitten Kingdom against all sorts of series foes.

5. a simpler mod that just adds more plants, both fanciful and real, to the game.

What do yall think of these 5? Some have a lot more potential than others, but i think I could do them all some form of justice.

Of these, I like #5 the most. Adding both real and fantasy plants could be cool.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:25 pm »

Kitten fortress FTW!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 01:07:52 am »

Kitten fortress is a fantastic idea. I'd do it myself if it wasn't interaction heavy. I'd love to see a squad of hero swordsmen seiken pikachu slimes and cyborg tank mammoths during a fascist siege.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 01:26:23 am »

Kitten fortress is a fantastic idea. I'd do it myself if it wasn't interaction heavy. I'd love to see a squad of hero swordsmen seiken pikachu slimes and cyborg tank mammoths during a fascist siege.

I didnt even think about the interaction part... crap.  I'm no good with interactions.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 04:32:53 pm »

MORE PLANTS!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 05:14:40 pm »

I like the Neopets idea.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 07:59:13 pm »

Regarding 5., modding plants is fun, but you are much much more limited to what you can do than when modding creatures. Trees are where you'll find the most opportunities to express yourself, as you can control how they grow and look, which you really can't do with the others.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 10:46:57 pm »

Terraria. Hell yeah
Corruption evil biomes
Hallow good
Bosses n shit
Hell yes

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 04:04:21 am »

Plant pack would be really useful considering currently forests consist of apple trees, peach trees and walnut trees with the undergrowth of carrots, alfalfa and asparagus.
It would be nice to see a bunch of completely useless plants that make it harder to survive just by foraging.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 06:10:18 am »

MORE PLANTS!

Copy the real-world trees and plants that Deon and myself have modded. Good stuff. Y'all have Deon's permission.
Need more inedible plants that the dorfs picked up because they don't know plants that well.
The OldGenesis raws also have text facts about the trees.

Here's some trees I have not implemented yet:
need density, color, height, branchingness, and what biome, and dry/wet/both info. Possible fruits/nuts and fall color.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:18:34 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 06:41:56 am »

Two words: Harry. Potter.

Wands are now a thing, and can be used as custom weapons to cast spells. Humans now have a caste identical to other humans in most ways, but with the ability to use wands. Such spells cover a wide range of nasty effects, including but not limited to: "Petrificus Totalus", "Incendio", "Avada Kedavra", and the like.

Howzat? Stupid enough? :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 12:40:57 pm »

Two words: Harry. Potter.

Wands are now a thing, and can be used as custom weapons to cast spells. Humans now have a caste identical to other humans in most ways, but with the ability to use wands. Such spells cover a wide range of nasty effects, including but not limited to: "Petrificus Totalus", "Incendio", "Avada Kedavra", and the like.

Howzat? Stupid enough? :D
I think, HP world mod can be very good. But this must be mod about creatures, not about spells.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 02:05:22 pm »

I'd second the Terraria idea. Corruption/Crimson and Hallow are equivalent to good/evil biomes so it'd be fun to see those (even if we still dont have good/evil underground so most of those creatures would probably have to be relegated to the surface) - and of course the megabeasts would be the bosses (not sure how one would handle the different phases some of them have though).

Regarding the Fallout mod idea, I'd personally go with the different human factions counting as different "races", i.e you'd have "vault dwellers" as the gameplay stand-in for dwarves (with some differences of course), then you'd have a variety of either hostile or non-hostile factions like the NCR, Legion, BoS, Enclave or the various tribals and raiders. The musketmod could allow for proper guns even if it does require DFhack.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 02:41:18 pm »

You know, has anyone modded Minecraft in? You know, go full circle?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5