Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help adding graphic art to modded in races.  (Read 1765 times)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
I need help adding graphic art to modded in races.
« on: June 28, 2019, 03:41:37 pm »

I want to add graphics to races from aeramore expansion mod. How do I do it?

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: I need help adding graphic art to modded in races.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:29 am »

Mediterraneo's link covers the how to make your graphic set usable by DF part.

If you also want to make a graphic set from scratch then you are going to need some kind of "advanced" image editing/creating software like Photoshop (paid) or Gimp (free, open source). You could technically use Paint but you can't add transparent backgrounds with it, if I am not mistaken.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 10:19:41 am »

Mediterraneo's link covers the how to make your graphic set usable by DF part.

If you also want to make a graphic set from scratch then you are going to need some kind of "advanced" image editing/creating software like Photoshop (paid) or Gimp (free, open source). You could technically use Paint but you can't add transparent backgrounds with it, if I am not mistaken.
Paint.NET does

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 04:59:54 pm »

I'm going to second brolol.404 here. Paint.NET is an excellent program for very lightweight raster graphics editing (like drawing sprites).

I love GIMP, and it is considerably more powerful (more options) than Paint.NET, but Paint.NET is SUPER user friendly if you've never used a multi-layer image editor before.

As to the actual graphics files and their RAWs to get them to run in DF, follow Mediterraneo's link to the wiki, it completely covers it. If you have any further questions then, go ahead and ask us again.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:13:46 am »

True, even I made a few things in Paint.NET. Every time I only have access to a netbook with too few RAM to run Photoshop. XD

Anyway, did the wiki entry help, did you figure out how to add sprites for the new creatures?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 05:44:39 pm »

Anyway, did the wiki entry help, did you figure out how to add sprites for the new creatures?

Yes the wiki  helped me to understand how graphics are applied to objects. What I want to do is use either Gemset or CLA as starting point to add sprites to Aeramore mods because It's one my favorite mod that adds a lot of races. So can I take a copy of their .png edit it,  and then take their text file and rename it to the new creature will it recognize it as a diffrent .png?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »

Yes, sounds like you have it figured out. But you have to rename a lot of entries in the raw/graphics text files, as well as fit the page dimensions and sprite locations.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::