Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Volcasial Thread (Pulse 1 Strategy Phase)  (Read 6434 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Volcasial Thread (Pulse 0 Revision Phase)
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2019, 12:21:08 pm »

For our next design:

Harnessing the Fundamental Forces
Turns out, the "Levitation Crystal" messes with gravity. It's also a psionic battery of some sort, which is where it gets its energy for manipulating gravity. By tinkering with the crystal, we have managed to alter its matrices so that it is no longer psionically activated, instead being activated by electrical pulses from outside the crystal. Controlling the structure of the crystal by altering the contents of the chemical slurries used to produce them allows different use methods---stronger crystals that work in short bursts, weak crystals that run for extremely long times or are constantly powered just by ambient psionic emissions from the crews, etc.

It's also obvious from further experimentation that other things exist in the same vein which can be produced using similar chemical slurries, objects which can manipulate the other three fundamental forces of nature. We have for now worked on producing one that can manipulate electromagnetic forces. This is capable of gathering or dispersing electrical power, producing magnetic forces or dampening them, etc. It can be similarly altered for easy control.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 04:56:10 pm »

Quote from: Box Vote
Ignitae Pact ACS-Javelin: (0)
"Crater" Pump-Action Marksman's Rifle:
Lightning Power Crystal: (0)
Shuttle Craft:
Crystal Reinforced Growth Matrix: (5) MoP, DoubloonSeven, Madman
G-Force Crystal Reactor: (0)
Base Crystal Reactor: (1) TricMagic

Right... MoP is Salt incarnate. Mostly cause he want's Biomodification, for novel things like growing our own weapons, tentacle mines, and home-grown demons. All of which requires extensive work to actually learn how to mess with things without ending up with monstrous flesh spheres. Oh! And they need to not kill us in the process.

And yet, something like some dragon isn't good enough for him. Neither is night-vision, balance and dexterity, or great hearing and sense of smell. Too Fantasy/Fallacy for him, respectively.

Shakes head.

He also seems to think we can't revise a new crystal without using a design. Let's prove this wrong, shall we? Given he kinda wants to scrap this turns research, and never touch crystals again, be better than the current lead.

Base Crystal Reactor
A main issue in those deciding what to do is a lot of infighting. Some people think the fact we discovered a way to power things through pure willpower isn't good enough. Well, this bit of reasearch should put a stop to that.

Effectively, we take the fact that the Levitation Crystal turned out so well is mostly because we were trying to make one. Along with the basic crystal probably being made to a sub-standard degree. So, the obvious thing is to build a Base Crystal Reactor, designed to produce the Base Crystal, without any enchantment, a Jack-of-all-Trades that can do anything we put our mind to. Moreover, it is the same type of crystal seen in Shuttle Disks, with the added improvement of being able to be precharged with Will. In addition, this Base Crystal can be converted to another type of Crystal by linking it up with a different type, and turning our Will upon it to make it take on the same properties as the example crystal. Though once done, it loses it's own Jack-of-all-Trades characteristics, in exchange for being just like the crystal it was turned into.

Effectively, this will shut up others about this requiring designs for every single thing we do, as the BasE Crystal can support other types in their work, or be converted to another type, increasing our ability to provide crystals of that type for projects.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 05:27:43 pm »

Right.

I want biomodification because we're limited by very little. We're already cloning, so it's going to be relatively easy to do. Moreso than making hope stones, since we explicitly had no clue how the crystals work. Those examples are the basest, easiest examples, since I'm not going to write up a whole design just for discussion. Also note that all the clones have a seething hatred for our enemies. I imagine it's something we can imbue in our creations if we even make them intelligent.

A dragon's not good enough because it's a dragon, the most overused, played out, overhyped fantasy creature in anything ever. They're also intelligent, something I want to avoid in nonhuman creations. I never said the rest of it wasn't good enough. The problem there was you specifically want to incorporate animal parts and elements as opposed to just improving what's already there. We don't need tails with an improvement to equilibroception, we don't need cat ears if we increase the range of what we have now. We can get night-vision by introducing something like the tapetum lucidum to the eye as opposed to replacing it with an animal's entirely (though goat eyes would be notably unsettling). We can add to the human body without replacing it with fur.

Rolls eyes.

I never said it wasn't possible to get a new crystal outside of a design. I've said a) it'd be foolish to make a new gem unrelated to previous ones in a revision, and b) that the crystals you've proposed are the basis for important tech (i.e. power) and that should get a design to improve the chances of a solid foundation. Just because I never want to touch crystals again doesn't make my revision any worse. You want to talk about me being salty all you want, at least I don't make proposals and vote based on weak human things like "emotion".

As for your revision, it's no good. First off you're introducing the meta issues between us as a conflict within the proposal. Fallacy's already stated that saltiness may result in consequences in-game. Let's not give him more ammo, please? Even if we can reproduce the crystals in our shuttle disks, even if they'll somehow be the exact same things that won't be drastically affected by the rules of floors and make that whole section of rules useless, you're doing so in a revision. You wanna get flaws? That's how you get flaws. You want it to be convertible based on imagination. In a revision. Also, you define the base crystal as being convertible through will as opposed to anything that wouldn't possibly effect the crystals keeping us afloat. Not smart.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2019, 05:39:10 pm »

This is effectively my Hail Mary. As is, our differences might just net us penalties. And we know how the dam crystals work, our will. That powers them.

Also, Flaws? What flaws? The fact that it's a revision to produce a crystal we have an example of does not mean it will have flaws. Not in the least. A bad roll results in flaws. Not anything like a revision being used to make something when we already have the examples to base it upon.

If this doesn't work, I'm likely to just retire and let you do the next turn's design. Though you seem focused on us not being a joke, despite the whole Levitation Tattoos idea meaning we can just throw around tanks like toys.

I'll repeat. You want flaws? Get a Buggy Mess Roll. Or completely fail with a 2. Same exact result no matter what Normal choice you picked.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2019, 05:50:04 pm »

Right, because praying to a rock is surely where the interaction begins and ends. Nothing deeper than that, nothing that could possibly ensure sabotage isn't insanely easy. Nothing that could add anything more than blind faith to the reason they work.

You realize this is not an easy thing for a revision. Or a Normal thing. Difficulty is directly related to the roll modifiers, which is directly related to the results of a roll, meaning you're increasing the chance to get flaws, which is what my point was.

Oh fuck me I just looked back and realized there was no mention of crystals at all as what kept our shit afloat. Here I was thinking at least it was grounded in something the AR explicitly mentioned. We hit no nail on the head in regard to what floats our boats, it was Magician's Choice - regardless of what we said powered our shit that would've wound up miraculously being the thing. And we went with crystals. Shit on my eyes and call me a lizard.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2019, 11:43:32 pm »

Crystal Reinforced Growth Matrix:

(Hard) 4 + 1 - 1 = 4

We've replaced our single Levitation Crystal reactor with several linked reactors running on the same heat supply. While this is an excellent idea for the purposes of redundancy(one of the mini-reactors going offline can't halt our overall production), unfortunately it doesn't actually help us produce more Levitation Crystal. After all, what would have been produced in one large space is now produced in several smaller spaces. Producing additional heat was a bit too much of a challenge for our engineers this time, and some speculate more heat isn't what's needed to produce the crystal anyways. At the very least now we've got a more dependable system.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

((Please note that this revision attempted to produce additional resources directly. Not something easy to do by reason of game balance.))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:51:21 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Volcasial Thread (Pulse 0 Strategy Phase)
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2019, 08:23:24 am »

1. Plasma rifles
By utilizing electrostatic electron-strippers and short-circuit based heating through a narrow chamber with with noble gases flowing from a reservoir, one should be create high-potency plasma.
2.Directional force crystals
A modified levitation crystal that produces directional propulsion
3. Mark I Thunder Rifle
A modified plasma rifle but with a electrically charged fitting, causing the highly conductive plasma to be capable of electrifying entities, if the immense heat was insufficient to completely obliterate it.
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2019, 10:11:58 am »

Base Crystal Reactor

Effectively, we take the fact that the Levitation Crystal turned out so well is mostly because we were trying to make one. Along with the basic crystal probably being made to a sub-standard degree. So, the obvious thing is to build a Base Crystal Reactor, designed to produce the Base Crystal, without any enchantment, a Jack-of-all-Trades that can do anything we put our mind to. Moreover, it is the same type of crystal seen in Shuttle Disks, with the added improvement of being able to be precharged with Will. In addition, this Base Crystal can be converted to another type of Crystal by linking it up with a different type, and turning our Will upon it to make it take on the same properties as the example crystal. Though once done, it loses it's own Jack-of-all-Trades characteristics, in exchange for being just like the crystal it was turned into.

This Base Crystal can support other types in their work, or be converted to another type, increasing our ability to provide crystals of that type for projects. Beyond that, it's ability to work with other types of Crystals should allow us to use Levitation Crystals along with Vase Crystals, allowing us to produce Shuttle Disks using both resources.

I'll note that heat alone isn't enough to make more. You also require Will.

Also, Strategy Phase. Not Design.

I Vote for Sending MoP on an Expedition to find out what is producing the Ore and Oil. I bet it's something we can produce!
Either that or going up to the next floor like Fal seems to be suggesting.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:45:56 am by TricMagic »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 11:07:55 am »

It's the Strategy Phase my guys, let's focus on that please.

Proposal: Operation - wtfcanweevendo

Strategic Action: Scout the Floor Above

Since our creations this turn fucking blew it we should figure out what's above us, maybe just fuckin speed our ways up the tower until we actually produce something good. Nothing wrong with a strategic retreat if we gotta go that way anyways. That also should let us camp the fuck out of a floor and hold those other idiots somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:05:16 pm by Man of Paper »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2019, 07:58:04 pm »

Regardless of how monumentally horribly that turned out...

Quote from: VOTES
OPERATIONS
Whaddafukcanwevendo (1): D7

Avanti!

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2019, 08:12:35 pm »

Operation HELLOTHERE
Put some spies/saboteurs into the enabrian fortress-city and devastate them from the inside.
...and Engine Heart!
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 08:18:30 pm »

The enabrians may also be conducting some operation similar to WTFCANWEEVENDO
...and Engine Heart!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2019, 08:25:38 pm »

OPERATIONS
Whaddafukcanwevendo (2): D7, MoP

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2019, 09:17:21 pm »

Note, we can in fact just ascend straight to the next floor instead. So.

First Floor, here we come!
Time to ascend, and see what it's like. Does it have an anti-magic field or no? At the least, we can start taking control of an area.

And yes, this is something we can do, Fal said we could.

OPERATIONS
Whaddafukcanwevendo (2): D7, MoP
First Floor, here we come! (1): TricMagic

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2019, 09:53:32 pm »

why does no one take heed of my proposals
...and Engine Heart!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9