Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals  (Read 19501 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2019, 09:05:30 am »

The Mercurial Genetics Lab
A lab dedicated to studying DNA we bring back, as well as our own specimens. Through advanced techniques and DNA/RNA Mapping, they manage to bring a lot of expertise to the table. Moreover, they are experts with using the Gift in machinery to greatly improve the number of Aliens we can create.

Something something, that needs a better write-up. Increasing the number of UP we have will help, just as VP did. Actually, this might prove useful right now, wouldn't it?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2019, 09:17:27 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Alien Supplies
2 Adaptive Genes: (0) 
1 Adaptive Gene: (6) Piratejoe, Frostgiant, NUKE9.13, Failbird, Kashyyk, SC777
1 Superior Gene: (5) Frostgiant, Piratejoe, TricMagic, SC777, NUKE9.13
1 Ethereal Assistance: (3) TricMagic, Kashyyk, Failbird

Design
Chariot: (4) NUKE9.13, Failbird, Frostgiant, Piratejoe
  -Use Ethereal Token immediately(1): Failbird
  -Don't: (3) NUKE9.13, Frostgiant, Pirate"We wont have that token"Joe
Seeker Drone: (1) SC777,
Interdiction Class: Forsaken: (1) TricMagic
  -Use Ethereal Token immediately(1): TricMagic
  -Don't: ()
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2019, 09:28:06 am »

Something something, that needs a better write-up. Increasing the number of UP we have will help, just as VP did. Actually, this might prove useful right now, wouldn't it?
Well, yes, more UP would be useful, but it's not necessarily the highest priority. I mean, currently, the only thing we can spend it on is Sectoids and Ophanim, neither of which is a particularly imposing specimen- I think being able to deploy a few more Sectoids will not do us as much good as being able to swap out a squad of Sectoids for a Chariot or two.

Currently, I'm thinking we design the Chariot this turn, then next turn probably design a fighter craft of some description (since we'll have 2 more VP to play with)- depends a bit on what we see from XCOM slash how the aerial battle plays out; it is hypothetically possible that we do pretty good in the air this turn, but XCOM shows off an impressive ground roster, in which case we may want to develop a better combat unit right away (I mean, XCOM would probably do something about their aerial disadvantage, but we'd have two extra Small Scouts to counter that).
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2019, 09:43:17 am »

I mean, for aerial combat, being able to apply the coir though an evasive aircraft would be good. And once it's on the ground, it can support other choirs. I kinda see it as low cost too, since it's flat.

I'll note that we have people voting for 1 adaptive gene, and 1 superior gene. There likely won't be ethereal assistance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:34:09 am by TricMagic »

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2019, 09:47:26 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Alien Supplies
2 Adaptive Genes: (0) 
1 Adaptive Gene: (7) Piratejoe, Frostgiant, NUKE9.13, Failbird, Kashyyk, SC777, TFF
1 Superior Gene: (6) Frostgiant, Piratejoe, TricMagic, SC777, NUKE9.13,  TFF
1 Ethereal Assistance: (3) TricMagic, Kashyyk, Failbird

Design
Chariot: (5) NUKE9.13, Failbird, Frostgiant, Piratejoe, TFF
  -Use Ethereal Token immediately(1): Failbird
  -Don't: (4) NUKE9.13, Frostgiant, Pirate"We wont have that token"Joe, TFF
Seeker Drone: (1) SC777,
Interdiction Class: Forsaken: (1) TricMagic
  -Use Ethereal Token immediately(1): TricMagic
  -Don't: ()

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2019, 08:36:14 am »

Alien Design Turn

The Ophanim provide an interesting opportunity for us. A sapient, Gifted mind in such a compact and simple body. Though they may be weak on their own, they provide an excellent base to improve. Enter, the Chariot; A combination of organic mind and mechanical body. At the core of the Chariot lies an organism based upon the DNA of the Ophanim, a blob of spongey flesh wider than the Ophanim and substantially thicker, to be closer to a sphere, and with a majority of the eyes removed to provide more space for cybernetic implants. The purpose in the increase in size is to facilitate a larger, more complex brain, with greater capacity for the Gift.

The Chariot itself is, in some ways, like a miniaturize version of a human 'tank'. A set of treads as mobility, permitting the Chariots armor to be heavier than if it where instead to hover. Atop those treads sits the body, a sleek structure that rounds out as it goes forward, with space for a large, dense mechanical orb closer to the rear. This orb contains the being, directly attached to the Chariot through its implants to allow it to be controlled mentally, the organism acting as organic hardware and software. The orb an pivot a full 360 degrees horizontally, and possesses a series of cameras allowing it to see its surroundings. On the 'front' of the orb, is a pair of plasma PDWs attached together in a vertical formation, and connected to a rail built into the orb to allow them to move vertically along its surface, permitting the Chariot to aim in any direction... excluding down, but it's on treads, so the chances it will be in a position where such is necessary are very low.

While this makes the Chariot well defended, its true draw is in its abilities with the Gift. Though not particularly stronger than a Sectoid on its own, it possesses the ability to access the Ophanim choir, allowing it to draw upon their combined psychic effort, and focus that power into more direct psychic attacks. Striking at the minds of their targets to cause direct pain or even harm, or even to see their allies as enemies for a time.

(For scale, I'm imaging the XCom Hover SHIV. As for squad size, we're aiming for cheapness. So as few as is necessary for it to cost 1, unless a single Chariot costs more than that, then just 1)
Normal: 2 +1( Buggy Mess)

The Ophanim sing, but new music tears through their choir. They sing of fear, of loss, or joy, but most importantly, they sing to drown out the beat. The Charioteer, the modified Ophanim we created to pilot the Chariot, does not harmonize with it's fellow Ophanim. It's song is too different, the low heavy drones penetrating harmony of the choir and wresting control away from it's creators. The Ophanim resist and resent this intrusion, trying to restore their previous harmony.

This is not the only problem. The Charioteer knows that it is not a regular Ophanim, but it longs to be. It seeks freedom from it's mechanical cage, to see the world through it's own multitudinal eyes, rather than a camera. Left alone, it will try to open it's cage, even though it universally expires soon after.

The chariot itself is not without problems. Without a Charioteer in control, the fusion cells destabilize and lose power, shorts and overheating spreads through the circuitry, and tracks and weapons jam constantly. With, most of these problems are somewhat mitigated, only to return with a vengeance whenever the Charioteer looses it.

Chariot : A single tracked armored vehicle equipped with twin Plasma PDW with a 360 degree firing radius. Controlled by a charioteer, a suicidal mutated Ophanim that horifies all nearby Ophanim, even as it seeks to become one of them. [1.5 UP or 1 EP, 0.5 UP]

The invasion commences.

A small alien armada emerges from hidden exits or descends from the skies upon an unsuspecting planet, seeking to terrify it's population, capture it's men,women and children, and engage in highly destructive amateur archeology.

Rumors and Opportunities from Earth

We've detected an strange signal originating from an area that the humans call "Algonquin Radio Observatory", located in the Northern region known as Canada. Origins, purpose and nature of the signal are completely unknown, but it is pointed in the general area of our command relay satellites. It could be a coincidence.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

We have entered the Invasion Planning Phase

Please write and vote for a cohesive invasion plan. Each mission (multiple of which can be launched per turn), should contain the following information
1) Which UFO types are deployed>
2) Which units are deployed?
3) Which equipment is deployed?
4) Which nation does the mission take place in? [Poke me if it's a nation near a base, and where you want the bonus]
5) What is the mission

TURNTURNTURN
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:29:38 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2019, 08:56:19 am »

Unfortunate. A revision should be able to fix that, but revisions do not apply to things we deploy this turn. So I don't think we should use it (this turn).

Anyway. @Ebbor would doing a normal mission (eg an Ancient-DNA-gathering mission) in Canada also get us info on the radio signal? Like, could we triangulate the source or get a clearer idea of the nature of the message by landing ships nearby? Or would we have to perform a more dedicated effort to get more information?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2019, 08:59:14 am »

Looks.

Worse than I thought. This is what happens when you try and meld biology and mechanics with no other experience. Well, a Revision will solve it, assuming we just take the booster part and stick it in a flat disk, then let the Ophanim use it.

Moved to other post.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:02:24 am by TricMagic »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2019, 09:11:56 am »

Anyway. @Ebbor would doing a normal mission (eg an Ancient-DNA-gathering mission) in Canada also get us info on the radio signal? Like, could we triangulate the source or get a clearer idea of the nature of the message by landing ships nearby? Or would we have to perform a more dedicated effort to get more information?

You need an abduction, raid or infiltration mission targetted at the site.

Umm, do we also need to include weapon loadouts?
Yes?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2019, 09:18:20 am »

I more mean is the cost of weapons separate or included? Do Chariots count as 1.5 or .5 for the subject of carrying on a Small Scout?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2019, 09:28:58 am »

Looks.

Worse than I thought. This is what happens when you try and meld biology and mechanics with no other experience.
No, this is what happens when you roll a fucking 2 on a difficult design. Not a single design proposed thus far except for maybe the scout drone(which is redundant since we already have a scout with all the major features and more) would have survived this roll.

edit: Honestly we just shouldn't deploy Chariots at all this turn, not only do they actively self destruct but when they aren't doing that they're making our Ophanim worse by proximity.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:37:22 am by Failbird105 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2019, 09:29:28 am »

The small scout can carry 2 squads with equipment. It has nothing to do with their point cost.

So, you can stuff in 2 Chariots or 2 Sectoids  or 2 Ophanim, or a combination of them.

Looks.

Worse than I thought. This is what happens when you try and meld biology and mechanics with no other experience.
No, this is what happens when you roll a fucking 2 on a difficult design. Not a single design proposed thus far except for maybe the scout drone(which is redundant since we already have a scout with all the major features and more) would have survived this roll.

Minor correction. You rolled 3 on a normal difficulty design. I was originally going to go for Hard  (and I forgot to remove the -1, which is now fixed) but I decided against it because you reused so many components.

And then you rolled terribly.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:33:02 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2019, 09:30:02 am »

Looks.

Yes, how could we be so foolish as to do this design, thereby causing us to roll poorly. Clearly some other design would've changed the outcome of the dice roll. Yes sir, this Normal difficulty design was a foolish, impossibly difficult choice.

Anyway, do we want to investigate the signal or not? My inclination is to say yes, cos it might be important, and whilst we could double up on Ancient-DNA-grabbing, we'll probably want to design a vehicle next turn, so there's not a massive rush to get our hands on more DNA.

We actually rolled a 3, and the design was Normal. Ebbor's using 2d4, so a 3 is a bad roll.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2019, 09:35:27 am »

Have a pair of deployment plans:

Spoiler: Attack in Breadth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stacked Attack (click to show/hide)

My preference is towards "Attack in Breadth". By swamping XCom in targets, they will be forced to let some of our missions succeed without intervention, whilst at the same time they will have to spend VP on both interceptors and transports to keep our of our UFOs on the ground and then successfully seize the ship.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:10:09 am by Kashyyk »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:52 am »

Edited my post with three plans. Note that Chariots are deployed without the Ophanim, so they can do their jobs as tanks without trying to kill themselves

Checking Ebb's answer to my question...

That... Isn't good. Even had the disk rolled that poorly, at least it could still act as transport. A small Scout doesn't care about Deployment cost, so Ophanim aren't even that good. 2 Units fill up a Scout, rather than only taking up half of it.

Right, edited them around, and gave the other team a Meld Container.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:56:04 am by TricMagic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22