Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals  (Read 19438 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2019, 02:41:14 pm »

I mean, Sectoids aren't terrible at ranged combat. And melee is definitely a viable path in XCOM-world. There are valid reasons to go with the Viper over the Raptor, but ranged being strictly superior to melee is not one of them.

If we do go with the Viper variant, I'd really prefer we used more tokens on it. Like, at least throw the Superior DNA token in there as well (use it to improve their accuracy, or something). And if we want this thing to be our main footsoldier in the turns to come, I think investing another Ancient DNA would be worth it.
Well, I mean, we could always just add a vote to use more tokens on it. The design doesn't really need to be changed.

Honestly, my big reason for not going with the Raptor(other than it lacking entirely in ranged capabilities, since I don't doubt we may come across situations where having really good melee and nothing else isn't going to cut it) is just that... it's just a Raptor. There's nothing interesting about it other than 'it's a raptor'.

I mean, I'd probably still vote for the Quetzals unless some really good changes where made to the Raptor, but thats more because of a couple forms of bias.

We'll be able to launch two extra craft this turn, which means we'll either have to deploy nothing but Ophanim or leave some understaffed. Any fancy new alien we create will likely cost at least as much as a Charioteer, so deploying them and any significant backup will be very difficult.

Batch Vats will provide the UP we need to actually make use of any new aliens we want to design, and fill out our missions with troops at thr same time.

UP is our bottleneck, lets widen it before trying to squeeze more out of it.
Mmh, yeah, I do suppose I get what you're saying.
Though, I find it quite funny how last turn we where all about getting more spaceships but this turn we can't actually fill all our new spaceships.

Quote from: Votebox
Mercury Biological Industry & Gift Interface Laboratories, Project Saber: (1) TricMagic
-1 Ancient DNA Token, 1 Superior Gene, 1 Adaptive Gene, 1 Ethereal Token & Enhanced Cloning Feedstock.: (1) TricMagic
Mercurial Batch Vats: (3) Kashyyk, SC777, Failbird
Quetzal Vipers: (2) Piratejoe, Puppyguard
-1 Ancient DNA Token, 1 Adaptive Gene: (3) Failbird, Piratejoe, Puppyguard
Xenoraptor: (1) NUKE9.13

Pick 2
Ethereal Token  : (1) TricMagic
Adaptive Genes :  (4) Kashyyk, Failbird, Piratejoe, SC777
Simple Cybernetics : (2) NUKE9.13, Puppyguard
Enhanced Cloning Feedstock : (7) TricMagic, Kashyyk, Failbird, NUKE9.13, Piratejoe, SC777, Puppyguard

Edit:
I mean, you're not wrong, but what I'm thinking is the following:
Option One-We make a new alien, with a cost of 2UP (I expect). We then deploy three missions of two scouts each, one of which is empty, the other two each having one new alien+one Ophanim+one Chariot (using the alternate cost). That loadout should quite easily be able to defeat one Skyranger's worth of troops (assuming the new alien is reasonably powerful).
Option Two-We do the Batch Vats, gaining us 3UP capacity (I expect). We then deploy 3-6 missions. Each scout can be filled up, but only with the same Sectoid+Ophanim combo that was previously insufficient. However, by doing three missions of two scouts each, the sheer numbers should be enough to defeat one Skyranger's worth of troops.
Ooor we could do neither and not make a new unit but still deploy Chariots, instead of prioritizing filling all of our ships to maximum capacity.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:45:39 pm by Failbird105 »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2019, 03:18:14 pm »

We'll be able to launch two extra craft this turn, which means we'll either have to deploy nothing but Ophanim or leave some understaffed. Any fancy new alien we create will likely cost at least as much as a Charioteer, so deploying them and any significant backup will be very difficult.

Batch Vats will provide the UP we need to actually make use of any new aliens we want to design, and fill out our missions with troops at thr same time.

UP is our bottleneck, lets widen it before trying to squeeze more out of it.
Actually you make a really good point, without enough UP to deploy the vipers in force they're somewhat lacking.

Mercury Biological Industry & Gift Interface Laboratories, Project Saber: (1) TricMagic
-1 Ancient DNA Token, 1 Superior Gene, 1 Adaptive Gene, 1 Ethereal Token & Enhanced Cloning Feedstock.: (1) TricMagic
Mercurial Batch Vats: (4) Kashyyk, SC777, Failbird, Puppyguard
Quetzal Vipers: (1) Piratejoe
-1 Ancient DNA Token, 1 Adaptive Gene: (2) Failbird, Piratejoe
Xenoraptor: (1) NUKE9.13

Pick 2
Adaptive Genes :  (4) Kashyyk, Failbird, Piratejoe, SC777
Simple Cybernetics : (2) NUKE9.13, Puppyguard
Enhanced Cloning Feedstock : (7) TricMagic, Kashyyk, Failbird, NUKE9.13, Piratejoe, SC777, Puppyguard

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 16, 2019, 06:40:30 am »

Well, I mean, we could always just add a vote to use more tokens on it. The design doesn't really need to be changed.
Actually, if I recall correctly, ebbor prefers if we indicate what aspect of a design a token is being used for. We don't just throw them in willy-nilly.

Honestly, my big reason for not going with the Raptor(other than it lacking entirely in ranged capabilities, since I don't doubt we may come across situations where having really good melee and nothing else isn't going to cut it) is just that... it's just a Raptor. There's nothing interesting about it other than 'it's a raptor'.
I mean, again, melee is a thing in the XCOM world. Yes, only melee would be a problem, but the idea would be that they'd be deployed alongside other troops.
As for the 'just a raptor' thing... yeah, you're not wrong. I'll give it some more thought.

Anyway, like I said, I'm fine with doing the vats. I'll switch my vote over to solidify the consensus.
Mercurial Batch Vats: (5) Kashyyk, SC777, Failbird, Puppyguard, NUKE9.13
Quetzal Vipers: (1) Piratejoe
-1 Ancient DNA Token, 1 Adaptive Gene: (2) Failbird, Piratejoe
Xenoraptor:

Pick 2
Adaptive Genes :  (5) Kashyyk, Failbird, Piratejoe, SC777, NUKE9.13
Simple Cybernetics : (1) Puppyguard
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 16, 2019, 04:41:13 pm »

Quote from: Mercurial Batch Vats
To grow our forces at present, we have to juggle a small set of general use cloning tubes, which requires us to carefully plan our usage to avoid excessive amounts of soldier idle time, tube pattern switching and feedstock requirements.

The Batch Vats solve these problems. With a dedicated array of clone tubes, growth vats and Incubation pods, we'll be able to prepare entire companies of troops together, manage their growth rates and keep them incubated until ready for deployment. This will allow greater production of troops and a more efficient storage solution until they are deployed.

The Adaptive Genes will allow us to provide a wider variety of drug cocktails, which will be more effective at resisting allergic reactions to Terran stimuli and to prevent rejection of cloned organs and cybernetic enhancements. This will further increase our capacity to support units in the field.

The Enhanced Cloning Feedstock will allow us to provide more nutrient and energy rich feed per unit, ensuring that the same number of nutrient vats will be able to support more units.
Hard : 2+4 -1=5

The Mercurial Cloning Vats are everything that we expected them to be. A large standardized installation with many hundreds of cloning tubes. Adaptive genetics are automatically integrated into any clone we create, ensuring that they survive and even thrive in the standardized cloning mixture that is provided to all clones in the facility. By eliminating individual differences in this manner, we reduce workload and increase production. At the moment, there's a small excess, which is going to be improved as our experience with the facility increases.

Several observers also note that the wastes from the facility are considerable. With proper adaption, it may be possible to rout the waste products and failed clones to a secundary battery of tanks to create simple units, though that can not be accomplished yet.

Mercurial Cloning vats : +1 UP this turn, +3 UP Next turn

The Invasion Continues :

Rumors from Earth :
Nothing new.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

We have entered the Attack Phase

TURNTURNTURN

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 04:02:55 pm by 10ebbor10 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 16, 2019, 04:56:36 pm »

Can we get the code in the op? The one that was used for the last mission.

Also, I'm back finally.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 16, 2019, 05:03:35 pm »

Thoughts, never deploy Meld ever again because they can take that resource from us, EP have a preference for PDWs and Chariots (Which we spent a Design and Two Revisions so they should be deplorable?). We can Deploy Three Missions with 2x Scouts supporting each other so we don’t get rekt by interceptors. I think we will get enough genetic points from the two other missions, and the raid is to test the water on all the mission strategies. My thinking is we Raid->Design Quetzal Vipers for Long-Term Survival->Infiltrate Raided Place, or Somewhere Different. Also to deploy Three Chariots on all Missions, one Sectoid is going to be missing a PDW. Go to Europe to cause Mass Panic there, then change Asian Continent to make sure we don’t put too much pressure in India
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:50:16 am by Shadowclaw777 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2019, 05:47:58 pm »

Quote from: ETHEREAL//OS V12.4

...ACCESSING LOG...

[CLASSIFIED] -- MISSION PROPOSAL
...ENTER SECURITY CLEARANCE TO ACCESS...

...SECURITY CLEARANCE ACCEPTED, LOADING...

OPERATION TITLE: Eclipse

VESSEL DEPLOYMENT: Small Scout x6
COMBATANT DEPLOYMENT: 2x Chariots. 2x Orphanim. 4x Sectoid
EQUIPMENT REQUISITIONS: Plasma Pistols, Elerium Grenade.
TARGET LOCATION: Canada Signal
OPERATION PURPOSE: Raid, Acquisition of Human DNA and deployed tech, and complete destruction of XCOM Forces in area. Identify Signal, and destroy.
COST OF OPERATION: 3 EP, 6 VP, 7 UP

COMMANDER NOTES: 2 Small Scouts are to be taken to other locations. Run false Mission to land at Walker Air Force Base near Roswell, and Smithsonian Museum. Remaining forces are to land and completely destroy forces arrayed against them. Investigate Signal, then destroy or acquire, depending on what it is. Collect human tech and corpses after fulfilling primary objective.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2019, 03:07:50 am »

Tric... that's not how missions work. For several reasons.
-The costs don't add up. Unless by "Elerium Grenade" you mean "Two Elerium Grenades".
-A mission can only have one (main) mission profile. We can't Raid and Acquire DNA in the same mission.
-Things like investigating the Canada signal last turn was a bonus objective, which is not available this turn. (At least, I don't think it is- ebbor, could you clarify?)
-A mission definitely can't target three places at once. You'd need to launch three distinct missions to do so.

Anyway, Shadowclaw's suggestion looks reasonable.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 17, 2019, 04:47:13 am »

I'd explicitly call out that the third mission gives the Sectoids pistols, just to make sure. Otherwise they might go completely unarmed.

Otherwise, I'm cool with Shadowclaw's plan.

Also Ebbor, the Batch Vats never made it into the tech spoiler.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 17, 2019, 07:43:51 am »

(At least, I don't think it is- ebbor, could you clarify?)

It isn't.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 17, 2019, 07:44:28 am »

Quote from: ETHEREAL//OS V12.4

...ACCESSING LOG...

[CLASSIFIED] -- MISSION PROPOSAL
...ENTER SECURITY CLEARANCE TO ACCESS...

...SECURITY CLEARANCE ACCEPTED, LOADING...

OPERATIONAL PLAN: Eclipse

VESSEL DEPLOYMENT: Small Scout x6
COMBATANT DEPLOYMENT: 2x Chariots. 2x Orphanim. 4x Sectoid
Non-Combatant Deployment: 2 Orphanim
EQUIPMENT REQUISITIONS: Plasma Pistols, Elerium Grenade.
OPERATION PURPOSE: Raid, Acquisition of Human DNA and deployed tech, and complete destruction of XCOM Forces in area. Identify Signal, and destroy.
TOTAL COST OF OPERATION: 3 EP, 6 VP, 7 UP

COMMANDER NOTES: 2 Small Scouts are to be taken to other locations. Run DecoyMission to land at Walker Air Force Base near Roswell, and Smithsonian Museum. Main Forces are to land and completely destroy forces arrayed against them. Investigate Signal, then destroy or acquire, depending on what it is. Collect human tech and corpses after fulfilling primary objective.
OPERATION ECLIPSE 1

VESSEL DEPLOYMENT: Small Scout x2
COMBATANT DEPLOYMENT: 4x Sectoid
EQUIPMENT REQUISITIONS: Plasma Pistols, 1x Elerium Grenade.
OPERATION PURPOSE: Acquisition of Human Opposition.
COST OF OPERATION: 1 EP, 2 VP, 4 UP

COMMANDER NOTES: Shoot to kill, and work with Eclipse 2.
OPERATION ECLIPSE 2

VESSEL DEPLOYMENT: Small Scout x2
COMBATANT DEPLOYMENT: 2x Chariots. 2x Orphanim.
EQUIPMENT REQUISITIONS: N/A
OPERATION PURPOSE: Raid
COST OF OPERATION: 2 EP, 2 VP, 2 UP

COMMANDER NOTES: Work with Eclipse 1. Shoot to kill.
OPERATION ECLIPSE 3

VESSEL DEPLOYMENT: Small Scout x1
COMBATANT DEPLOYMENT: None/1x Orphanim
TARGET LOCATION: Walker Airforce Base
OPERATION PURPOSE: Decoy Mission
COST OF OPERATION: 1 VP, 0.5 UP

COMMANDER NOTES: Scout Defenses and Return. Be seen by Roswell if possible.
OPERATION ECLIPSE 4

VESSEL DEPLOYMENT: Small Scout x1
COMBATANT DEPLOYMENT: None/1x Orphanim
TARGET LOCATION: Smithsonian Museum
OPERATION PURPOSE: Decoy Mission
COST OF OPERATION: 1 VP, 0.5 UP

COMMANDER NOTES: Scout Defenses, be seen by humans peacefully if landing, then return. Gift Use against Civilians not authorized. AWAITING CONSENSUS.

Does 1 Grenade mean they all get 1, or only one of them?

And yes, it is a multiple mission. A Single Operational Plan. Easiest time to grab them is when they are already dead, after all. Isn't that right Ebbor?

(At least, I don't think it is- ebbor, could you clarify?)

It isn't.

.... Hua. ANyway, would this type of Operational Plan work since they target the same place?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:48:52 am by TricMagic »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 17, 2019, 11:21:09 am »

I'm assuming that the plan creators are voting for their own plans, but feel free to correct me.

Anyway, Shadowclaw's suggestion looks reasonable.
Otherwise, I'm cool with Shadowclaw's plan.
I think you two are voting for Shadowclaw's plan with these statements? Again, feel free to correct me.

I like Shadowclaw's plan, it utilizes all of our usable points this turn, plus I want to see what happens if we raid a country.
Balanced Approach: (4) SC777, Puppyguard, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk
Eclipse: (1) TricMagic

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2019, 11:54:46 am »

I think you two are voting for Shadowclaw's plan with these statements? Again, feel free to correct me.
Well, I didn't make a votebox yet lest it discourage others from proposing plans of their own- whilst I think SC has a pretty decent plan, more ideas can't hurt unless they're from Tric. And we probably will have to wait a while for XCOM to sort out their revision, so there's no rush.
That said, I don't object to you putting my vote in the votebox. But let it be known that I will consider swapping my vote over to something else, so if you have an alternative you think is better, please share it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »

OPERATION TITLE: HARASS TERRESTRIAL TARGETS
VESSEL DEPLOYMENT: 2x Small Scouts
COMBATANT DEPLOYMENT: 1x Sectoid, 1x (1.5 UP) Chariot, 1x Ophanim
EQUIPMENT REQUISITIONS: 1x Plasma PDW (Sectoids)
TARGET LOCATION: Germany
OPERATION PURPOSE: Raid
COST OF OPERATION: 2x VP, 3x UP, .5x EP

OPERATION TITLE: CENTRAL ASIA GENETIC MATERIAL HARVESTING
COMBATANTS DEPLOYMENT: 1x Sectoid, 1x (.5 UP, 1 EP) Chariot, 1x Ophanim
EQUIPMENT REQUISITIONS: 1x Plasma PDW (Sectoids)
TARGET LOCATION: China
OPERATION PURPOSE: Abduction
COST OF OPERATION: 2x VP, 2x UP, 1.5x EP
COMMANDER NOTES: Acquire More Genetic Material, Inside Base’s Continent AoI

OPERATION TITLE: NORTHWEST AFRICA DNA STOCKPILE ASSAULT
COMBATANTS DEPLOYMENT: 1x Sectoid, 1x (.5 UP, 1 EP) Chariot, 1x Ophanim
EQUIPMENT REQUISITIONS: Plasma Pistols (Sectoid)
TARGET LOCATION: Egypt
OPERATION PURPOSE: Acquisition of Ancient DNA
COST OF OPERATION: 2x VP, 2x UP, 1.0 EP
COMMANDER’S NOTES: Inside Base Continent AoI

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

We have entered the Revision Phase

TURNTURNTURN

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2019, 04:52:41 pm »

Wasn’t the revision we were going to do is to utilize the excess waste of the Mercurial Vats to get even more UPs or maybe EPS?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22